RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
relationship between rear and front diffs (4x4)
Post relationship between rear and front diffs (4x4) 
okay, i found a decent truck for sale. It's a '96 black gmc sierra, Z71. the biggest set back with it, is that it has a 10 bolt rear end.

My questions is: do all of the GM 4x4's between the years '95-'98, have the same front diffs? so would the front diff be the same size reguardless if there was a 10 bolt or 14 bolt rear end? what about transfer cases, is there only model that was put in the half ton (and heavy half ton) trucks?

...one other thing to add in. would switching from a "manual" (lever) transfer case to an electronic transfer case be too difficult? ....i would think they are physically identical, would just need some wiring done. and for a '96 and up, the computer should be readily accepting right?

Transfer cases are pretty much identical.
I'm pretty sure front diff's are different. For starters the heavier duty units have 8 lug axles.
I read a thread on a forum somewhere about a guy trying to convert a 1/2 ton to a HD and had hassles fitting the front diff to the 1/2 ton frame.

I'm pretty sure front diff's are different. For starters the heavier duty units have 8 lug axles.

but there are 14 bolt diffs with the 6 bolt lug pattern...they are a bit harder to find, but they're around.
right now i have a '95, half ton sierra with that set up.

do you think the heavy half tons and regular half tons have slightly different frames then?

I am pretty sure there were only 2 different front difs used in the trucks 8.25 and 9.25" ring gear.. I think only the 3500 trucks had the bigger diff.

All 6 lug trucks have the 8.25 front dif and all 8 lug trucks have the 9.25 front dif. I put a 9.25 front dif in my Tahoe. It wasn't too hard but did require some cutting and welding.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1