RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Screwed up the truck
Post Screwed up the truck 
1987 Chevy halfton 2WD auto, OBD1 computer, TBIā„¢ injection

Looks like the pickup coil was defective, looked all green and corroded, and the pickups looked like they were cracking around the ring. So I went to change it out, wound up knocking the baseplate off the distributor, and the shaft was stuck inside somehow or other. Looks like something siezed up inside of it. So, I decided to get a new distributor. Called O Reilly's, they have one, no problem. 100 dollar rebuild. I installed it, now the truck will idle if the ESC bypass wire is unplugged but not if it's plugged in. No idea what the deal is. It's set at exactly 0 degrees with the tan/black stripe wire disconnected, and I verified the wiring order several times. It also sets a code 42, which according to the Haynes manual is a bad EST module,and according to this site is "The EST signal did not change when the ECM applied bypass voltage to the ignition module.".

What am I looking at here? Bad ignition module on the new distributor? If so I'll be suprised as I was under the impression that an ignition module either works or it doesn't. I can certainly return the distributor if this is the case.

Well I don't really have a suggestion for fixing the problem besides replacing the distributor again, but the code 42 is definitely caused by the bypass wire being disconnected.

Heh, and remember this when you're trying to decide whether to put an LS1 style engine in that truck (with no distributor) Very Happy

Well I don't really have a suggestion for fixing the problem besides replacing the distributor again, but the code 42 is definitely caused by the bypass wire being disconnected.

Yeah, but it idles smoothly with the wire disconnected, and the code shows again after the truck runs a few minutes when I clear the codes after hooking the wire back up.

When I initially set the timing I set it 2 degrees advances and it would surge badly. I only ran it for a few seconds like this, decided that it was outside what the computer would tolerate, and worked it again to set it to 0 degrees. I guess the distributor will be replaced again, as I can't replace the ignition module without voiding the distributor warranty.

Oh and, on the decision for the LS1 engine, that decision was made long before I bought the truck. It's just a matter of money at this point. Come on lottery! Daddy needs a new set of millions!

Use your test light to see if you have 12v on both side of the bypass connector,I seen one have the wire seperated inside the plastic,due to many people pulling on it over the years.

Post Nah, it's fine 
Gonzo wrote:
Use your test light to see if you have 12v on both side of the bypass connector,I seen one have the wire seperated inside the plastic,due to many people pulling on it over the years.

The guy I bought it from never did so much as a spark plug change, so I doubt timing was ever checked once it left the factory. I figured it was the new distributor since the original dist was working when I pulled it, and the new one didn't. Returned the first reman distributor and got another one, and it's up and running fine now. Better than before so far, it hasn't stalled any yet and no longer has that feeling of impending death when you increase throttle at cruise slightly. Before, it would feel like it was lugging when you gave it a hair more throttle. Now it just goes. Big improvement. Thanks for the suggestion though, if the second distributor hadn't worked I'd have been looking at that.

Thanks for the suggestions on this little problem, and the suggestions that the pickup coil was going out. Hit the nail on the head, and now I have a spare ignition module to carry around.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1