RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
GMT 800 Audio Question
Post GMT 800 Audio Question 
Guys, looking at a replacement component set for the front doors. I've been told the factory has a component set in there already? How are the frequencies regulated, via the headunit? The replacement set I'm looking at has crossovers included, just wondering if that would already be done via the HU?

Thanks,
Andrew

Post Re: GMT 800 Audio Question 
agreif wrote:
Guys, looking at a replacement component set for the front doors. I've been told the factory has a component set in there already? How are the frequencies regulated, via the headunit? The replacement set I'm looking at has crossovers included, just wondering if that would already be done via the HU?

Thanks,
Andrew

On my Tahoe it looks to be wired in with the door speaker and NOT a separate run from the amp. I replaced mine with some Pioneer 3-way speakers with a significant improvement. I just unplugged the stock tweeter. If you are buying separates, they should include a crossover. Just remember you need speaker-level inputs to the crossover.

I ended up junking everything except the HU and rear pillar tweeters. Got rid of the POS amp behind the glovebox and went speaker level into a 4 channel amp for the doors and a single channel amp for a replacement subwoofer. THere is still some distortion at high volume caused by the HU but the thieves don't know I have good stereo equipment installed either.

hmm, not sure i have an amp with only a regular cab, so the tweetwers can handle the entire range of the main cone, that seems odd. Not questioning what you're saying, just seems like you'de be asking for a mismatch.

The factory tweeters have a capacitor on them from the door woofer, so the frequencies are separated there. When you install your new components, Just take the main lead from the door harness. If you really feel like doing it the right way, run new speaker wire from the crossovers to the door themselves.

Speaker choice can depend on music choice as well. Being in the audio industry for quite some time Ive heard hundreds of different setups. If you Listen to anything from classic rock to country, where instruments are the music, I would recommend a set of JL Audio VR components (~$175), or their higher end XR's (~$250). Boston Acoustics also make very high quality components too that loves an external amplifier, if you are ever going to put one in. The best thing to do is go to a few audio shops with your favorite cd, make sure its quiet on there and just test out different sets.

On my truck I took out those worthless little tweeters in the door panel and put some 2¼" or 2½" tweeters in their place and am running 6.5" Infinity's in the lower part. Sounds okay to me.

These were the ones I was looking at. Granted I don't have the ears of a composer, so thought these had to be better than stock?? were 110, but now on clearance.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pfjqn4XB4Z6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=76500&id=essential_info&i=023TSC660

These were the ones I was looking at. Granted I don't have the ears of a composer, so thought these had to be better than stock?? were 110, but now on clearance.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pfjqn4XB4Z6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=76500&id=essential_info&i=023TSC660

Anything would be an upgrade to those paper stock speakers! I went with some ~$100 Pioneers. 25 years of LOUD Rock and Roll have limited the "reception" of my ears. Plus in a truck with lots of other noises, I questioned my ability to discern great speakers from good speakers.

They will def. be better than stock, but the problem is, the factory amplifier doesnt push them hard enough to REALLY make a difference. What would really make anything sound better is an aftermarket head unit. Even with a Bose system, there isnt much power coming off of a factory amp. Factory speakers can scream believe it or not with even the cheapest of cheap jeson cd player. Components generally require more power than a coaxial setup, if you are not upgrading the headunit, I would also recommend a decent set of coaxials which may sound BETTER than the Blau components.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1