RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Any transmission service tips for dropping the pan?
Post Any transmission service tips for dropping the pan? 
Got a 2001 Chevy Z71 with the RPO code M30 - 4L60E transmission. Went to drop the pan today & the pan would not clear the linkage bracket on the drivers side rear of the pan. I removed the linkage form the bracket but the bracket it self is in the way. Any tricks to it? The bracket looks like it will be a PIA to remove & dropping the exhaust Y pipe is my other option I don't want to do.

you need remove that bracket. Its got torx key bolts. A typical universal torx tool (multiple sizes) works great. Ive removed it 3x without any problems. you wont need to remove the y pipe just that bracket.

I've done it many times all without removing that bracket. The pan will drop down on the opposite corner and rotate out from under the linkage bracket. It's tricky getting it out and even trickier getting back in without disrupting the gasket, but it is possible.

Also, it sounds like you've already unbolted the pan, if not I used to save myself a lot of mess before I had a drainplug. Using rigid plastic tubing, like for a refrigerator icemaker, I would siphon as much ATF out as possible through the dipstick tube. It took a while but I sould just set it up and walk away. It will only suck down to the dipstick stop in the pan but that is enough to be far enough below the pan gasket that the fluid doesn't cascade over the sides as soon as the pan loosens. If you have a drainplug then you don't have to worry about this mess!

Bend the bracket gently with a prybar, then bend it back in to place when your done. Worked like a charm for me.

Post welders vice clamp 
I used a pair of welders vice grips to clamp the SOB to the front drive shaft then just moved it back into place when I was finished

Bend the bracket gently with a prybar, then bend it back in to place when your done. Worked like a charm for me.

I've also used this method when the torqs decided to strip out on me.

Thanks. I dropped the pan as much as the bracket would let me yesterday but since I was sold the wrong filter from Autozone I did not remove the bracket. I was able to work the filter out with the pan hanging & discovered it was the deep pan filter & they sold me the shallow pan filter. Bolted it back up with the same undamaged gasket & filter until I can go Autozone & get the right filter. I will remove the backet & do the job right in a day or two. Thanks again to all.

autozone did that to me too. and often times the seal is not set right on the tube.

Make sure you remove the OLD seal in the transmission too..... often times guys dont do this. or dont realize its a seal because its metal on the outside rubber inside. it can be a pain to remove if jammed in there and most of us have made our own tools to get it out.

Interesting, I need to do this this weekend on my 02 Tahoe. Basically, drain fluid, remove pan, curse 'cause pan gets stuck on bracket, pull off pan, replace filter, gasket & o-ring, reinstall and put in new fluid through the dipstick. Any other nuggets of wisdom that I need to know. Should I plan on a whole Saturday morning? Seems like opinions lean toward just using OE fluid and not getting fancy.

T.I.A.

I like to use about a dozen small zip ties to loosly attach the new gasket to the pan to keep it from slipping when you are bolting the pan back to the transmission. This will keep the gasket from slipping around when you are trying to clear the exhaust crossover tube. Once you get it set with a few bolts, clip the zip ties and bolt it back up.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1