RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Transmission With 140k And No Service.
Post Transmission With 140k And No Service. 
My friend has a GMT 800 1999 ECSB 5.3 Auto with 140K miles. He took it in for service and one place told him not to do it. He said it would be a 50/50 chance somthing would go wrong if the fluid was changed after so long.
He drives the truck like going to church on sunday so it has not seen any abuse.
What say you , my lerned friends?

ouch.. man at 15k miles on my 01 silvy ...... i was like crap i should have changed this 5-10k ago..
clear up to 60k i was thinking these thoughts. thats a rough one man.........

that filter is got to be stuffed with dust. and that filter doesnt filter well to begin with im sure its recycling dust. what does the oil look like on the stick?

I'd probably just leave it alone. With 140K on the clock the end is probably getting close, so I wouldn't do anything to piss it off! If the fluid on the dipstick looked okay and smelled fine, then I might consider it.

With 140K on the clock the end is probably getting close

NO NEVER SAY THAT
NO JINXING THE BIG BLACK TBI™

White 350 wrote:
With 140K on the clock the end is probably getting close

NO NEVER SAY THAT
NO JINXING THE BIG BLACK TBI™

Dont worry Pro, I'm sure you have serviced your tranny at least once. I hope..

Hog

fluid was black, i changed the fluid 3 times in the same day to make sure it got flushed out good.
truck now has 190k on it and still going strong.

if you change it, do it at least twice at the same time/day.

Post don't do it 
I have too much experience with this scenario. If the fluid isn't burnt and he isn't having trans problems leave it alone. The new fluid and the 'stirring' of the sediments combine to kill an otherwise working transmission. I would say the chances are more like 8 in 10 that he'll have trans issues immediately after changing the fluid. Like I said, I've seen this issue at least 150 times and the odds are not in his favor.

Pro, a TBI™ doesn't make enough power to frag even a 4L60E. Don't make me repost the damage a vortec will do when the driver is damned determined to make it SOMEWHERE before it quits moving entirely.

I destroyed three transmissions with TBI™ 350 in a K5 blazer. The problem is they are soooooo underpowered the trans has to shift constantly to move the truck.

and thats true - my parents had a pimped out 1989 burb 1500 (with TBI™ 350 which they probably all came with) and they went thru 3 transmissions and a cat (caught in fan blade, blood all over, head on the ground, screaming sister, etc).

and a cat (caught in fan blade, blood all over, head on the ground, screaming sister, etc).

I hate it when that happens. Granny comes into the shop and says her car has a funny smell. Just happened to mention her cat has been missing for a couple weeks too. Um ma'am. We found your cat. Pweew!

That reminds me of a repair order I once recieved. "Client states car has been overheating ever since he hit a dog two weeks ago. The dog died."

I saw an old Beetle hit a Saint Bernard once. The dog stumbled home. The VW had to be towed. Smile

I would not change the fluid at this point either. Transmission fluid has detergents in it. Any fluid that has been used for that long lost it's self-cleaning abilities long ago. There have to be solid particulate buildups in every nook and cranny of the valve body. Putting in new fluid can dislodge some of that stuff and clog things up.
Leaving the fluid in that long is not the ideal maintenance scenario obviously. With the transmission through, the old addage "better late than never" really does not apply after a point.

I still say change it and see what happens

Lord I apologize for that there statement, be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea

Post I power flushed mine before the trip up here. 
I had the Tahoe's tranny power flushed at about 82k, just to make sure it'd be good for the long haul up here. It still shifts nice and crisp - not too hard, not too mushy, nice red fluid, no funky smell. Still crams into gear on full throttle shifts - so I'm thinking it's doing fine.

Before this truck, I never changed the fluid on an automatic, before. They'd go 120k, no problems, and we'd get rid of the car for other reasons - like rust or oil leaks or something. The only vehicle I ever owned that I kept up to 205K was a manual - my little S10 - so I couldn't tell you from experience what an auto looks like at 150k.

I'd say, change the fluid and filter - but be prepared to change the filter again, shortly afterwards, in case something DOES dislodge and catch in the filter. It's kinda like flushing the oil system on an engine. You run a can of Motor Flush for 15-30 minutes, then change the oil. Run the vehicle for 500 miles, then change the oil and filter again. Of course, you've also gotta watch the pickup tube in that case, too. Just keep in mind what you're doing and what could happen and be ready for it.

Go for it! If the truck loves him, it'll be fine.

CJ

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1