RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Vortec TPI for Camaros - why not our trucks?
Post Vortec TPI for Camaros - why not our trucks? 
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/56858/

Why aren't we all just doing this, instead of the marine intake? It's got EGR, vortec bolt-up and all we need is the wiring harness and we're gold. Yes? No?

You can get all sorts of TPI stuff in Ebay for CHEAP. With $350 for the intake and maybe a couple hundred more for runners and plenums and stuf ... it seems to me a cheap way to get things done.

Talk to me guys.
CJ

Post TPI disadvantages 
1. TPI runners are 21"long, great for torque below 4000 rpm, but wheezy over that, in comparison the LT1 runners are 4" long, with the LS1 smack in between
2. TB is fed from the front not top, this creates many hassles(cruise, air intake/filter)
3 Underhood heat really heats the intake charge on a TPI(this can be an advantage at the drags in respect to icing the manifold and runners.
4. The Vortec to TPI manifolds from SDPC are garbarge, at least 4 hours of wpork to make ports and bolts holes to line up, maybe edelbrock's is better, I dont know
5. Complicated compared to the Marine setup, many small bolts into aluminum that often break off, with many gaskets.
6. TPI engines dont like large cams due to the long runners
Advantages
1. Lots of TPI stuff around
2. Lots of torque for our heavy trucks
3, Manifold looks awesome, 2nd only to the LT5 intake
4. Possibly cheaper

A TPI looks nothing like the intake that comes stock, so any visual inspection is going to fail. The marine looks pretty stock.

Just some quick thoughts, but I belive a TPI can be made to work and work well, just not my piece of cake
Hog

sounds good too
i want my z28 back

Post Hog - questions 
I thought short intake, long exhaust was good for low-end and long intake, short exhaust was good for high-end. (?)

I think the only bad thing you've mentioned would be cruise control, but I can't imagine it being horrible - camaros and vettes had it, before, so it can be done, right?

I could use the same filter box and MAF, but plumb to the front of the engine, instead. Yes?

Also, isn't there a roots-type supercharger for TPI vehicles that sits on top the intake? THOUGHT I might have seen one, before. Maybe not. (I see so much stuff that I find interesting, and my mind's not as sharp as it used to be.) MagnaCharger, maybe?

I just seems to me that ... "here's an MPFI that fits vortec heads and has EGR. Why not start there?"

CJ

best bet I could see would be a tpis miniram (some version number goes here) which is pretty much a LT1 style shorter runner intake for vortec heads. Of course wiring would be an issue, but nothing our collective minds couldn't overcome. Once again, the front inlet could be a problem.....I know with the ramjet I needed to relocate the AC compressor.....might be a problem on the smallblock as well.

Post Steve 
... but maybe you only had a problem with the A/C BECAUSE the aftemarket runner lengths are shorter? We've got room to leave it taller, right?

the AC compressor sits right over the valvecover on the smallblocks....the tpi throttle body won't go over the AC line that crosses over and has that huge muffler thingie....it might fit but I have my doubts since the throttle linkage is all on the passenger side. I had ot offset it 1.5 inches outward and upward to clear.

what ever could someone do with so much non TBIā„¢ power

Post Re: Hog - questions 
CJ wrote:
I thought short intake, long exhaust was good for low-end and long intake, short exhaust was good for high-end. (?)

I think the only bad thing you've mentioned would be cruise control, but I can't imagine it being horrible - camaros and vettes had it, before, so it can be done, right?

I could use the same filter box and MAF, but plumb to the front of the engine, instead. Yes?

Also, isn't there a roots-type supercharger for TPI vehicles that sits on top the intake? THOUGHT I might have seen one, before. Maybe not. (I see so much stuff that I find interesting, and my mind's not as sharp as it used to be.) MagnaCharger, maybe?

I just seems to me that ... "here's an MPFI that fits vortec heads and has EGR. Why not start there?"

CJ
It really depends on what YOU want. I only have a 4000lb truck, some of you have 6000lb trucks. I will get off the line faster than anything heavier, all else equal..

I personally dont need EGR, nor do I have a visual inspection for emissions testing, so I COULD stick some injectors into a tunnel ram and be done with it. But, I want semi-stock appearance, stock PCM, OEM Engineering, modest intake manifold flow increases, decent driveability, emissions compatibility and the ability to change the fuel injectors. This is why I would go the Marine intake route PERSONALLY.

Your como is obviously different than mine. You can make ANYTHING work.

In all cases: 1. Get injectors of YOUR choice
2. Get a manifold that will satisfy your goals
3. Decide on fuel and intake air routing air intakes throttlebodies sensors fuel rails
4. Get a wire diagram and cut off the stock Vortec wire harness and splice in a custom harness to drive the injectors.
5. install all parts
6. PCM tuning

Drive her like you stole her.

short, big intake runners favours high rpm hp
long, smaller intake runners favours lower rpm torque

small diameter header primaries shift hp and torque peaks lower in the rpm band
large dia. prim. headers shift hp and torque peaks higher up in the rpm scale also applies to overall exhaust tubing size.

I COULD put true dual 5 inch exhaust from the headers back, and it would have a sweetspot of maybe 12,000 rpm or something.

Just make sure that all of the "sweetspots" of all of your performance items come together in the SAME rpm band. This will insure excellent power along with excellent driveability. Any parts added WILL benefit by some sort of PCM recalibration. It would be like putting headers and exhaust on L-88 4 speed Corvette without recalibrating the carbs jetting with needles and seats(I think). Sure itll run, but you wont get all of your performance value out of your computer controlled or non-computer controlled speed equipement.

I like TPI too, I like high RPM with power even better.

I do remember, that blower, it was from Magnacharger for Vortec heads. Jimmi Mack was posting about it.

Peace
Hog

Last edited by Hog on Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Quality on SDPC vortec TPI manifold 
is/was sub par. Over 4 hours of ADDITIONAL work to the install process. Lots of drilling tapping and porting. Over 7 key fastener/port holes were incorrect or non existent. We were disgusted, for the price esp. 399 US!!!! Another 300 for SLP siamesed runners, plus shipping to Canada. Just brutal.

Check out the Edelbrock piece instead. IT MIGHT be better.

Peace
]Hog

Post Is this the blower for Vortec heads 
someone was mentioning this? This is a nice piece. This is for the Gen 1-E e=enhanced aka L31 Vortec style heads, as mentioned and supported by the picture. Def. not a Gen III system. External fuel injectors and fuel rail setup. Looks nicely engineered. Probably wouldnt pass a visual inspection for smog.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/pr010.htm

Hog

Post Saw that, yes. Very nice. 
I'm not sure what the cost is, but I'd SURE be interested!

CJ

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1