RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Tire pressure when driving on the beach.....
Post Tire pressure when driving on the beach..... 
When I used to drive my S10 Blazer on the beach I would lower the tire pressure to around 18 psi. Is this a good pressure to use with my '02 suburban ? I'm planning to take it on the beach at Assateague island this week.
BTW I have AT revo's if that make any difference.

Thanks,
Ed

I pull a trailer on the beach with Revos (2 wheel dr) on a regular basis and have never had to drop the pressure. I've even purposely stopped in a soft spot to see how it would do. No problem. A couple times I've had to rev it enough to get the diff to lock when not towing, but still had no problem getting out.

But to answer your question, I believe the standard is to drop about 10lbs from normal. This is what we do when helping the idiots that drive straight into the dunes get unstuck. 18 psi sounds a bit low, especially since the Revos normally run 44 lbs or higher depending on your tire's load range. Drop too low and you run the risk of rolling the tire off the rim.

PS Take a small shovel just in case.

Post I didn't deflate my Revos 
When I was on the beach in Mexico, I barely noticed how soft the sand was until I got out of the truck and my feet sunk a couple inches. I didn't even need 4LOW until I tried to climb a sandy hill: the tires wouldn't turn until enough power was available ... then they'd just spin and dig themselves in. I had to use 4LOW to get out and get up the hill. We lowered the air in the tires from 65 (towing) to 50, but the sidewalls didn't flex much, since they're E-load. I don't even think we needed to lower the pressure, personally, but we did anyway.

Another time, we were at Gordon's Well in CA, duning, and I took the truck out in the dunes for a while. Didn't lower the pressure and basically drove where all the other 4wd truck were going - nothing horrible, though.

I'd say don't even take any air out until you need to - really soft stuff or a hill. Be prepared to use 4LOW, but I wouldnt worry about the air pressure.

CJ

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1