RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Timbaux no fun trying switch trades :-)
Post Timbaux no fun trying switch trades :-) 
Oh man... I must have applied at 50 places. Nobody wants the deaf man. Firestone, Tire Kingdom... this going to be rough. I wanted to work at one of those car washes that do oil changes and such but they said you start out washing cars. Yeah, right.. like... how am I going to communicate with Mario Cuevo Perez Humberto Domingo and his sister Gaudalupe Maria Perez Humberto Domingo. Or how about Mohammed El-Shaddai and the twenty other arabs that live with him that wash cars????????

Just not easy getting on anywhere.

I had a book once titled, "You and Your Rights". I can't find it right now. In this book it explained some of the benefits business Owners can reap by hiring handicapped indviduals. Like, a portion of wages can be deducted thereby making it cheaper (umm... an incentive) to hire handicapped folks.

I lost my hearing in my left ear after an operation where I developed an infection afterwards. Crummy, but not as bad as it might have been for me considering all my youthful motorcycle and snowmobile stunts (multiple crashes, incl. two over 90 mph). Being deaf is really tough in many situations, but if you think about where your talent lies, and what you enjoy doing, then persue a career or job in that direction. It doesn't make sense to apply for crap that you don't want to do. If you just need money real bad, try finding some custodial/caretaker work where you can function just like anybody would. I do consulting and design work, and I own my own business. I also help to operate a 1500 acre tree farm. Being hard of hearing seems to allow increased concentration--that's good. Read up on some Joseph Campbell and "following your bliss". Here's a website that you can probably get some ideas from too.

http://deafchat.com/

My brother is blind so I am sensitive to your situation. Keep your spirits up and try and try again. Good luck man

Peace
Hog

thanks man... i might even lean towards trade school again, if i can get the funding for it

um.....doesn't that qualify as discrimination? I remember reading something online (I believe from our previous board) about a mechanic who was BLIND. and worked just as well as fully capable (we're talking physically, obviously he was well beyond them mentally) mechanics. Sounds like an outlet that might be worth looking into to land a job or obtain funding from indifferent employers.

Post It would if you could prove it... 
Y2KLimited wrote:
um.....doesn't that qualify as discrimination? I remember reading something online (I believe from our previous board) about a mechanic who was BLIND. and worked just as well as fully capable (we're talking physically, obviously he was well beyond them mentally) mechanics. Sounds like an outlet that might be worth looking into to land a job or obtain funding from indifferent employers.

The problem is proving it is discrimination. The employer can easily say that another person was more qualified and that a hearing handicap wasn't even considered or noted when the evaluations were done. If pressed, in the mechanic's world an employer can easily say that a deaf mechanic can't track down strange noises reported by customers, therefore is incapable of doing the job. That would be little different than a deaf man applying at my company to do what I do. I have to troubleshoot static problems, and if I couldn't hear I wouldn't be able to do it. I could work as a telemarketer since there is software that will listen to a phone and translate words, but I've not ever heard of anything that will translate static.

Proving discrimination is pretty difficult unless you have some documentation stating something like "deaf - do not hire" written on your application. Getting hold of that would be near impossible. But, keep at it, the way I've always looked at things is don't push it. Eventually the right thing will come along. Take my truck for example, I've been looking since about 2001 for the right one, and damned if it didn't just fall into my lap Monday.

Yes, I'll be working my truck into a lot of stuff for the next few weeks!

I am telling you................ I KNOW they won't hire me because I am deaf..in most cases so far. One of them wont hire me because I cant be there Sundays all day. Applied for a small engine mechanic job and an automechanic job .. and I am just praying these will work through. I'd like to learn.

About the TRUCK>>>>>>>>>>>
Yeah, i just dropped a 327 small journal in my 84 truck. Gotta line it all uip tomorrow after church... pics to come...!!

Post I'm not doubting you... 
timbaux wrote:
I am telling you................ I KNOW they won't hire me because I am deaf..in most cases so far. One of them wont hire me because I cant be there Sundays all day. Applied for a small engine mechanic job and an automechanic job .. and I am just praying these will work through. I'd like to learn.

About the TRUCK>>>>>>>>>>>
Yeah, i just dropped a 327 small journal in my 84 truck. Gotta line it all uip tomorrow after church... pics to come...!!

Just saying that knowing it and being able to prove it in a court are two different things. Good luck with the job. Don't know if you have tried it or not, but you might try the unemployment office. They usually keep track of who is hiring people who are handicapped, probably be your best bet.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1