RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Pisses me off that the NFL went to ESPN for MNF
Post Pisses me off that the NFL went to ESPN for MNF 
of all the sports out there. Besides NASCAR. I like to watch Football. Well now that the NFL has whored themselves to the highest bidder ESPN, they have just alienated a percentage of people who don't take cable, can't get cable in there area or don't wan to pay for cable. Yeah there is satellite, but once again you have to pay for that.

Looks like the beginning of the end to free T.V. to me(not the sky is not falling, but it's looking slowly that way) If the networks can't pay for sports then what will be next. No local news coverage? It will only be a regional telecast. For me it would be Chicago as the main news with small coverage from a two man team. A camera man and a reporter.
Look at sat radio. It hasn't caught on totally yet, but when a new car comes with a sat radio you can see who shares the bed linens(so to speak).

NFL you've pissed me off,

Sam

Post I'm doing away with satellite 
I get something like 200 channels, and only watch about 12 of them. Half of them are local stations, and we watch them 90 percent of the time. Most of the programming is either micro-interest stuff, or a station will repeat the same shows over and over and over. I'm tired of paying for nothing. Should free TV not be worth it anymore, it isn't going to bother me not to watch TV. We spend MAYBE about 15 hours a week in front of the tube as it is, and that is over a 7 day period. TV just isn't entertaining anymore since half of it is crappy reality TV, and what with the increase to 33 percent of each hour being given over to commercials the show itself is little more than a commercial amongst the advertising. At any rate, I'll no longer have a satellite by the middle of May, and will have an aerial in the attic by the end of this month.

Post Over done and too much of nothing 
My house doesn't have cable and the kids at first complained as if I'd just moved them to the moon... Told them to have their buddies tape whatever show and then watch it at our house...some times over at their house. Worked out well, as that kind of interaction was/is lacking...doing something for a buddy.

I'll go over to a buddies house, brothers, parents if I really want to watch something on cable that I missed somewhere else and don't want to rent/buy a tape/DVD.

Monday Nite Football was starting to become "over done", IMHO. Also the players are spoiled...Terrel Owens anyone? Not just football, but most all sports these days. Baseball was my last hope, but the current steroid thing hurts. Okay, they all took the stuff, but be a man and admitt it and move on. Keep their records because they all (most) were on it, so evened out the playing field.

Cable promised no commercials in the early days. These days there is no difference, other than the rape and pillaging of their customer base. Even their commercials have sync'd with broadcast to stop surfing channels.

Too many channels and diluted. Diluted in content and value. Think it would be healthier if there were fewer.

Cull the herd...

Post You know you get caught up in 
punching through the channels every once and a while. I like cooking and other things, but really paying for something that you only use a few hours out of the day is worthless.
If you could pay for when you are on! that might be an idea. Most cable cos. have made deals with the communities they service (yeah, service) to receive some type of monetary benefit to be the only cable co available. Can you say monopoly! Just like Ticketmaster!

We watch more DVD movies than T.V. so we are going to drop the extra service and just have the basic service. Should save $30.00/month.

We have bad reception because of the antenna farm that we have in and around Milwaukee.
Why we have so many damn antennas around here I don't know. But then again, the Summerfest grounds used to be a NIKE missile base Surprised so who knows.

Thanks for letting me vent

Sam

Post Re: Pisses me off that the NFL went to ESPN for MNF 
4decksam wrote:
... just alienated a percentage of people who don't take cable, can't get cable in there area or don't wan to pay for cable. Yeah there is satellite, but once again you have to pay for that.

The way of the world. What is the best business you can have? One that gets people to pay you a set (and increasing) amount of money every month? Landlords, telephone companies, cable and satellite services, magazine subscriptions, on and on... everybody wants a piece of your action. Local airwave t.v. and radio are doomed if they cannot generate advertising revenue. Without football, my local ABC (WXYZ) affiliate is going to have a tough time.

Sigh

Post Re: I'm doing away with satellite 
Speeder wrote:
TV just isn't entertaining anymore since half of it is crappy reality TV, and what with the increase to 33 percent of each hour being given over to commercials the show itself is little more than a commercial amongst the advertising. At any rate, I'll no longer have a satellite by the middle of May, and will have an aerial in the attic by the end of this month.

You know, with nothing but an aerial in the attic, **ALL OF IT** will be "crappy reality TV, and what with the increase to 33 percent of each hour being given over to commercials the show itself is little more than a commercial amongst the advertising." Even the local news shows here are nothing more than 15 minutes of rediculous car dealer and furniture store ads with 10 minutes of "news" and 5 minutes of a weatherman who doesn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground. I mean really....how many "Biggest Sale of the Year" promos can you have????

I have satellite and I do pay a lot for it, but I do hear what you are saying. If it wasn't for my satellite TV, I'd watch nothing at all. But, I do enjoy watching a movie after everyone else is in bed. Can't tolerate any show with commercials every 5-7 minutes though.

Post Re: I'm doing away with satellite 
All I'll be watching is the Simpsons and That 70s Show, and Antiques Roadshow for the wife anyway. I get my weather off the internet and rarely find anything else to watch.

The only nice thing about the longer commecial breaks is I have time to get a drink and hit the can without being rushed, and I've got a Magnavox TV that won't allow the station to increase volume past what I set it to...

Post Re: You know you get caught up in 
4decksam wrote:
punching through the channels every once and a while. I like cooking and other things, but really paying for something that you only use a few hours out of the day is worthless.
If you could pay for when you are on! that might be an idea. Most cable cos. have made deals with the communities they service (yeah, service) to receive some type of monetary benefit to be the only cable co available. Can you say monopoly! Just like Ticketmaster!

We watch more DVD movies than T.V. so we are going to drop the extra service and just have the basic service. Should save $30.00/month.

We have bad reception because of the antenna farm that we have in and around Milwaukee.
Why we have so many damn antennas around here I don't know. But then again, the Summerfest grounds used to be a NIKE missile base Surprised so who knows.

Thanks for letting me vent

Thats a good idea, pay for what you watch. Simple but effective

Peace
hog

Sam

I cut the Cable 15 years ago and never looked back. Between the PC, TV and outside interests I get plenty of entertainment. I WOULD be pissed though if I were a big football fan, just as I was when half of the Nascar races went to ESPN. Sadly the networks are struggling and are likely to continue in a downward spiral. I like my Free TV!

I stopped watching MNF the day they hired John Madden, so it doesn't really matter who airs it.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1