RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Avatars flew away to avatar-land
Post Avatars flew away to avatar-land 
I had left this avatar feature on by accident, because it is a default setting.

During the short time it was enabled, I noticed that most of the avatars were not really related to performance.

Now it's off, as it should have been originally..

One of the special things about this forum, since the start, has been that you don't have to swim through lots of graphics and signatures to find the content you are looking for.

Yuck

Dang, I was looking forward to my next one. Couldn't you have simply set the size rule for the avatars so that they didn't get too cumbersome? Even though some of the avatars were not "performance related", these seem to be glimpses of the personalities of their authors. We are, after all, a pretty small group of guys and have (IMO), a lot of talent on board. The avatars were a good feature, and they allowed some free expression, you know?. It's art. That's part of what makes us interested in performance, our creativity. I think you should turn it back on, but limit the size strictly.

Dang, I was looking forward to my next one. Couldn't you have simply set the size rule for the avatars so that they didn't get too cumbersome? Even though some of the avatars were not "performance related", these seem to be glimpses of the personalities of their authors. We are, after all, a pretty small group of guys and have (IMO), a lot of talent on board. The avatars were a good feature, and they allowed some free expression, you know?. It's art. That's part of what makes us interested in performance, our creativity. I think you should turn it back on, but limit the size strictly.

x2 (even though mine was lame)

Throw a dog a bone here...can we at least have a 90 x 90 avatar?

I care a lot more about performance, technical discussions than I do avatars.

For those of you wanting avatars, please consider something. For those on dialup connections, pages take them eternity to load. I have DSL, no worries here, but others need to be considered. Less graphics = faster loading times. Additionally, I do not know how the bandwidth of the forum gets used up, but maybe avatars wreck the bandwidth.

Anyway, I miss Steves, and I miss seeing Endos truck or James B.s truck in the Avatar. Tis ok though.

Post I can attest to the horrors of dialup 
DSL is not offered in my neighborhood yet. I signed up for 6 months of SBC dialup, 9.99/mo since they don't offer anything faster and it gets billed on my phone bill. I tried all the dialup lines, the horror! The best speed I can manage is 28.8 so I won't be accessing from home unless it's an emergency. They expect to have DSL out to my area before the contract runs out, looking forard to it.

The only avatar I miss is Steve's.

Bah, I loaded this site from home, which usually runs at about 40.0 kps, and didn't notice it being much slower than the DSL at work. All the text and "picture" avatars load instantly and I can usually scroll down and read the whole thread while the "movie clip" avatars are loading. Either way it doesn't matter to me, avatar or no avatar.

What really needs to be done here is a freakin size limit on posting pictures. We need to do it here like it is done over at LS1Tech. LS1Tech has a feature that puts the picture in a small thumbnail box and when you click on it, it opens in a new window.

Yes, I agree with the picture size limits, or auto formatting if it's doable. I think sometimes we see a pic or photo on our screens and then upload them without checking on their sizes first. I'm guilty. After Dan's changing of the avatar rules, I went to my online storage and edited the sizes of my photos. For posting, I think a 250 max width would probably be workable. Also, there's the problem of excessively long link posts, which freaks the page into horizontal scrolling. James B., if you read this, how about giving us some guidelines, or start another thread on the topic of posting pictures and links. Okay? And, c'mon at least give us a small avatar space, even if you rule it has to be of our own rides. That'd be fine. Pro will want to show off his new Colorado someday!

Post IMO... 
If that's what it takes to keep the forum running efficiently then so be it, I suppose. I liked the avatar feature, but some of the larger animated avatars (cool as they may have been) were slowing down the page. Even though it was still pretty quick, I'm still on dial-up none the less. And, even though the connection is about as fast as dial-up can be (52K), the lag was becoming noticeable. I made it a point to adhere strictly to the guidelines for the avatars (80x80 or smaller pix, and less than 6KB I think it was), but unless that can be enforced as a hard and fast rule, the avatars are bound to get out of hand. So, I guess if the avatars can't easily be more strcitly regulated this is probably the best solution, particularly from the web admin's point of view. IMO.

I care a lot more about performance, technical discussions than I do avatars.

For those of you wanting avatars, please consider something. For those on dialup connections, pages take them eternity to load. I have DSL, no worries here, but others need to be considered. Less graphics = faster loading times. Additionally, I do not know how the bandwidth of the forum gets used up, but maybe avatars wreck the bandwidth.

Anyway, I miss Steves, and I miss seeing Endos truck or James B.s truck in the Avatar. Tis ok though.

Thats it I cant stand you any longer

I really don't care that much about whether the avatars are enabled or not. That being said I'll add some fuel to the fire here:

-A typical avatar picture will be around 20K, which will take less than 3 seconds to load on a 56k dialup line.

-The size of pictures posted on this forum is not able to be controlled (easily) by the forum software. The system works by loading pictures from an external server (like James B's web server for example), not from the server that runs the forum software.

-In order to implement attaching pictures to a post (like LS1tech), there would have to be a significant amount of storage allocated to these pictures on the pacific performance forum server, and transferring these pictures would consume a sizeable amount of internet bandwidth. Since both of these cost money, and PPE is not loading this forum with advertisements and other moneymaking crap like popups, they sure don't owe the cost of that feature to us.

How about an option in profile setup to turn off other peoples avatars so me and steve can have 5 meg avatars, his being his sister and mine of my TBIā„¢ hawling some asss down the street outrunning kids on bicycles.

Ha, ha, ha... Pro you're cracking me up bad!

http://www.daveheinzel.com/seacrest/

Ha, ha, ha... Pro you're cracking me up bad!

http://www.daveheinzel.com/seacrest/

Bahaha what a dork. Reminds me of kid kraddick.

Pro, out

[quote="Pro]Thats it I cant stand you any longer[/quote]

WTF?! What did I do to you?

And I HATE Ryan Seacrest. With that stupid seacrest out crap. And I don't watch american idol, but my gf does and I can hear all that crap.

Post What's a Ryan Seacrest? 
Why is it bad to be one?

I really miss her, she brought life to the board!!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next