RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
L31 Timing Chain Cover
Post Balancing 
You'd have to get the pulley balanced afterwards!
I reckon, if I can get an old cover and maybe a shot sendsor to use as templates, I'll buy a steal cover from fleabay and make a cover up for someone to try.
Does anyone have a pic of the ctock plastic cover with the sensor mounted inside it...(from the inside).
Just want to see exactly what's involved. I could machine and tig weld the tubes into the cover...same as original
Howard

give me a few minutes and i will have a pic.

here they are. I also have some mesurements

by the way it's really dirty it was from a burb w/200K that spun multiple berings. I dont know how it ran.

Post Send the pic's to 
howard_quick@optusnet.com.au
They are really big pic's. I can't d/load them properly at work (dial up). I have cable at home. I'll be home in a couple of hours.

Thanks

Howard

Post OK 
Sensor part looks real simple. Are there metal covers available of the same measurements?
Is there a motor which uses the same cover without the sensor? (in metal)

Howard

Hey guys, I just had a nasty thought. I'm pretty sure the sensor uses electromagnetism to operate, and it is designed to work with a plastic cover. Will making the cover out of metal prevent the sensor from operating correctly, since there will be metal right against the sensor? If the sensor is what generates the magnetic field, it may not be able to pick up the teeth on the crank gear if it is surrounded by metal. May have to use a non-magnetic metal like aluminum to make this cover.

Post Should be OK 
This type of sensor is usually pretty accurate and limited in it's field direction.
They usually only sense within a minimal range from the face of the sensor.

Post Re: Send the pic's to 
hquick wrote:
howard_quick@optusnet.com.au
They are really big pic's. I can't d/load them properly at work (dial up). I have cable at home. I'll be home in a couple of hours.

Thanks

Howard

I forot to turn my camera rez down. I have a 22" monitor and the rez set real high so i dident even think about it..

Post So.... 
The 4 lugged ring in this pic sits infront of the crank timing gear, just inside the cover?

s10mods wrote:
How about this? the hub is just steel the magnet is in teh sensor.What if you weld tabs to the outside of the pully? (in the correct location of course.) witch would make the pully one way fit. will the bigger diameter effect the siginal? I'm not sure but i think it would because the on pulse would be longer. if you kept them the same length as the orig hub then the off pulse would be longer. maybe moding a pully would be easier that fabing a cover?? .

I'm trying to work out the best cover to buy as a sacraficial lamb for cutting and welding to adapt the sensor to.
Howard

Yep, It is actually dished just a little. The pic shows how it should sit.

Do you need to have a crank sensor?? Is it something that can just be programed out of the computer?

I have the 880 block and it looks like they have a provision on the block above where the flywheel spins. Did they have a 350 that had a flexplate/flywheel mounted trigger wheel that would have used a sensor mounted on the rear of the block?

For Europe Famaga is a good place to look at.

Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4