RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Project - 2003 Dodge Dakota, working name Frankentrucken
Post Project - 2003 Dodge Dakota, working name Frankentrucken 
My next project is in progress. Suspension work will be first up. After that, engine and trans.

The project is my before mentioned 2003 Dodge Dakota. Yes, I know, doesn't seem like me and doesn't seem like the right place, but its heart will be Chevy so I figure it's OK. I've worked out the suspension already, the truck will have a Ford 9 inch rear end attached via an offset triangulated 3 link, with coilovers in the back, and a regular A arm suspension with coilovers and a manual rack. Brakes will be 4 wheel disk, just as it has now. There will be a load bearing airbag setup on it, that won't be used unless the bed is loaded. I'm working with a local guy who builds Cobra AC kit cars from scratch and does pretty well himself on the local pro-touring circuit and the suspension is being set up to be able to handle pro-tour racing. I don't know what the truck's final weight will be, but its current weight is 4000lbs which I am going to use as the final weight. Going to try making it lighter, but we'll see. The truck will be running on 29 inch tall tires.

Now then, I need a little advice from the collective intelligence of this board, which I may or may not take. I'm going to go with a 6.2L engine, but which one is a problem. Basically, it's a decision between a Gen 4 LS3 6.2L with a 6 speed auto, or a Gen 5 LT1 6.2L with an 8 speed. Initially I was looking at boosting input and going with a 700ish HP engine, but I've scaled it back for financial reasons. Maybe in a few years I might try supercharging or turbocharging the truck. But, given the same circumstances, would you go Gen4 or Gen5? My rear ratio is flexible, 3.42, 3.55 or 3.73. Pricing is not an issue, as I'm going to be picking up a takeout from a salvage yard and the cost is roughly 10 grand either way I go.

Ford and Chevy parts in a Dodge, FRANKENTRUCKEN ooooOOOOoooooHHH!

With either gen 4 or gen 5 you will need to delete the afm.

Strange, I would have thought there would be some back and forth by now. Oh well, guess nobody's interested. Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I think I'll eat dirt.

Heh heh heh...

I have nothing to contribute. What you ask is beyond my expertise.

Don't eat dirt, ti's bad for your teeth.

I watched this last week and thought it was one of the better ones out on youtube. I don't have an answer for you, but the LS3's seem to be a good balance of power, simplicity and cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji78AVLeirM

Thanks. Yeah, that's the problem, the LS3 is a super engine but I have to go with a 6 speed. The LT1 has a lot of advantages plus an 8 speed, but it's going to cost quite a bit more because the aftermarket's not up on them yet but the 8 speed has pretty much perfect shift drops for getting you to your powerband and keeping you there. I keep flip flopping between the two.

Well, if it's about the same I'd say you have to convince yourself. Maybe list the pros and the cons and see how it tallys up.

For me, availability of parts and the cost of those parts is a big factor. I had to make a decision like this once, and I had to do the list to convince myself which way to go. Only way to get the emotion out of the decision.

Also, afterwards when I was kicking myself for having done what I did, I could look at the results of the original list and go "well, it wasn't a bad decison" because the premise was correct at that time for what was done.

This sucks. I had worked up an agreement with a guy to redo my truck's suspension. After several months of being put off, he decided that he's getting out of the business and is going to build cars to sell instead of doing work for others. I'm not out any money, we only got as far as he looked at the truck and was going to work up an estimate but that was back in February. So here it is June, and my project hasn't advanced so much as a single day.

So, my question to you all is, anyone know of a reputable suspension builder who can handle ripping a suspension out down to the frame, and installing a custom suspension near Tulsa? I've been searching the internet using just about any term I can think of that's related to it, and I keep coming up goose-eggs. When I do find someone that does the work I want to do, referenced in a thread somewhere, I find that they're out of business. Driving me batty here.

I'd check with some off road shops. They seem to do just about any work like you are talking about. There has to be some guys near you

There are a lot of off-road shops around here, but most of them are socket jockeys. If you can't do it with a pre-engineered bolt-on kit, they can't handle it. I'll add them to the search though, you never know.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1