RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Rock Auto - Automated Customer Service
Post Rock Auto - Automated Customer Service 
From what I read here, I know some of you already have an estranged relationship with RockAuto, well it appears that over time things did not get any better. It used to be that in the past you were able to get a live person to talk to you in case it was needed, now there is no such thing any more.

If your RockAuto order has a problem, good luck to you, try the FAQ page ???‎

Just something to consider if you are about to buy some expensive part from them.

I think I will still use them‎, but only if I can't get the same part elsewhere.

By the way, in the past I have used Summit Racing countless times and they messed up on the packaging countless times as well. They must have some real geniuses in their shipping department, who pack heavy items ‎with fragile ones in one box and does not care to use anything to prevent the parts from moving during shipping. I brought this up with them more than once and their standard answer was that they do everything right and it must be the shipper. So while I know many people favor Sumit Racing here (and that is how I got hooked with them to begin with), they have their demons as well. The worse part to me is that their denial of responsibility and their refusal to check on their own staff. 

Agreed. Shipping people are considered low on the totem pole (it's just boxes and tape) and are paid that way. It's no wonder they don't care. At a manufacturer where I worked, the "packers' were paid the same as everyone else and their work was QC'd - not to mention if an item was returned due to shipping damage they were "surveyed" to figure out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

At a retailer though, I doubt there is any consideration for QC. With margins so thin, they use use single layer corrugated board (never say cardboard!), cheap packing and cheap labor. And I bet they just check the "insure for 100.00 for less" box with the shipper and let it ride.

In other words, it's not their problem to solve, it's the shippers and yours.

Considering it's paid with a credit card, it's between them and the shipper. Screw me once on a sale and I dispute the charge with the credit company. I don't care if you blacklist me, I'm not going to be back anyway. RockAuto and CarID are on my list of do not use and it's an actual list I check before buying stuff. I sometimes use their sites to get part numbers, then order elsewhere.

RockAuto shipped me some Chinese knockoff parts in OEM boxes, then gave me crap on the return. CarID gave me a bunch of crap over an incorrect address in their system, plus sent me a cowl induction hood for my mother's truck that looked like it had been walked on and dropped on its nose. They gave me a huge hassle on the return, even though I refused delivery for damage upon arrival. I ordered another from Summit and it arrived more or less undamaged, for the same price, before the first one was refunded.

...then order elsewhere.
But where? I got screwed by other places too. Amazon has a great return policy, which is in most cases no questions asked, but I just can't get everything from them. So who else is good these days?

Summit and Jegs have still been OK, and Summit will price match. I've stopped doing one-stop-sells-all buying for the most part though, and just try to find someone selling what I need right now. Been buying electronic stuff mainly from Waytec, and a lot of stuff from online GM dealers. The days of reliable vendors is gone, because the vendors decided that screwing their customers for an extra dollar today is worth the entire business tomorrow.

I use gmpartsgiant.com They are a dealer in Vegas. They have a pretty decent website and I can verify by VIN. What I will do is put my cart together, estimate shipping to my local Chevy Dealer Zip code to get the final total and print out the page(s). I take them into my local dealer and speak directly with the parts manager and give them the paper and tell them I am giving them the first right of refusal before I order on line. All dealers have 5 levels of pricing. The sheet I give them has the "MSRP", discount "savings" and gmpartsgiant.com selling price. I know what I will accept for a price before I even go in. More often than not they will get within a few dollars which is a small price to pay for not having to wait on shipping. They do comment from time to time that some items I have listed and the online price is below their cost. Since they are GM parts from a GM dealer the warranty applies at any GM dealer where ever I may be. I am also finding that ACDelco has multiple lines and the parts stores ACDelco lines are of the lower quality. Also I have no idea what GM is engineering into the electronics but if its an electronic part of any sort you are better off getting it at a GM dealer. I bought a Delphi MAF sensor from NAPA and have had more issues with that than I care to think about. I compared the part with the one off the dealer shelf and they are exactly alike down to the molding casting marks and markings on the sensor its self..... Same thing with O2 sensors....

I have run in to the same automated issue with RockAuto as well. I have largely quit buying from them unless its last resort. Shipping time, packing quality, questionable part quality are all things I have had issues with. In the end I have found it faster, easier, and close enough to a decent price to just get the parts I need form the dealer.

When I do go into the dealer for parts I have a vin, rpo and part number ready to give them I have the exact name of the part from the GM catalog, heck I even give them the group number its in. In short, I do 90% of their job for them. The only thing I can't do is go behind the counter and get the part... They give me no grief and take my word.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1