RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 32 of 32
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
'97 Tahoe Reformation -Official Build Thread 8.1L/4L80E Swap
Post Re: 14b Rear end installed 
jakenatour wrote:

Then, my rear end started howling a few weeks ago and I had to adjust my plan. Brendan helped me confirm that it was the pinion bearing going out. Not a surprise, considering the axle wrap I had going on.

Your welcome I have definitely seen my share of bad pinion bearings on 10 bolts

What is that group? There were several when I went searching on FB. I want to keep following!
TJ

8.1 info swap classifieds group

So I am seriously steamed. Over 200 pictures in my build thread are no longer available since Photobucket just canceled their hosting policy. It will take me hours to re-upload each picture and redo the code in my Pacific Performance Engineering forum thread. Seriously sucks. 5 years that thread has been available for anyone to use to help with their 8.1 conversion or at least be entertained by my mistakes. Now it's virtually useless.

Every build thread I have had has just been ended also. It does suck

Oh fuck! Need to update to enable linking Mad
What the heck!
That would cost $100/year! Sad

I just read their email, it's even worst!

They consider 3rd party hosting the images I have on ppf.

This is what they say I need Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Plus 500 Plan: 502 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

Are they nuts?

Photobucket accused of blackmail after quietly requiring users to pay $400 a year to hotlink

Jeez I have 435 pictures on their server

I don't want to derail this thread, but of course I'm pissed about Photobucket as well.

I hope Google or someone else will buy them out and restore the links.

Otherwise, I think there is much to blame on the for profit forum operators as well. SO NOT THIS OUR NON-PROFIT GUEST FORUM, but Forums that display a bunch of ads and such.

Why did those for profit forums don't include/uploaded those pictures onto their servers just like the text content? I was always wondering about that. It would not have cost them soo much. Again I don't like to take Photobucket in defense, but why did every for profit forum load the burden of hosting for anything and everything on to them? The whole system of forum picture posting itself was broken AND it is still not fixed. Who knows which picture hosting service is next?

Also Photobucket could at least offer/establish a system where they re-route/link the picture requests to a 4th party. That way you could upload your pictures to somewhere else, create a link under the Photobucket site for each picture and that way you would not have to go to every forum that you ever visited and posted pictures. Sure this might go counter intuitive for Photobucket, who wants to make money, but given what they have otherwise done to their reputation it could have been an honorable way to resolve the issue.

Post Apparently there is a fix. 
Apparently there is a fix:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/

I have not tried it yet though, because I'm away from home. I'll try it this weekend and report back.

Well, I tried it over the weekend, but it won't work with my current computer configuration (Windows XP on my 2005 Sony laptop). It needs the latest Mozilla 57+ and that won't run with my setup (I can only uptate it to approx Mozilla 52).

Apparently there is a verion for Chorme as well, but I have not tried it because Ibdon't like Chrome anyway.

Post Photobucket fixed???!!! 
Hey all - how're you doing? I was pleasantly surprised to see all my photos back on this thread. Didn't hear that Photobucket reversed their evil ways. Is that true for all the build threads? Very glad.

Meanwhile - I've been wrenching on Ms Beastly way too much. Battling a power steering problem and some electrical issues with the fuel pump. Haven't driven her much this year.

Peace

Post Steering Work and Torsion Bar Upgrade 
Since it's been a while since I updated anything - here goes.

Ms Beastly is still running well. Still super fun to drive and reliable. I have been battling a steering problem for the last year. Here's the details on that:

Out of the box, the steering was very good on the truck after the 6" RCX lift install. Oversized tires, +800 lbs in the drivetrain and all the extra power quickly wore out the control arm bushings and all the other steering parts. I took her down for a few months and replaced all that stuff. Had the steering box rebuilt locally. Upgraded the control arm bushings to polyurethane. After all that work, life was pretty good.

The steering started to get unreliable pretty quickly and I noticed that it was worse when it was heated up. The problem started to accelerate, to the point where parking it and driving a trailer were very difficult.

I took it down to do some troubleshooting. Got a power steering pressure gauge kit to determine whether the problem was steering box, pump or too much friction in the linkage. Results showed me that pump was OK and box were OK, so I was left with excessive friction. The problem with this problem, however, was that the friction is hard to simulate, since unloaded and loaded are very different geometries.

I also noticed that torsion bar pre-load had an effect on steering performance, indicating that friction is somewhat dependent on control arm position. Hmm... the mystery continued.

My torsion bars were known to be tired after all the abuse I'd heaped on them with +800 lbs in the drivetrain, a bull bar bumper and the lift kit hardware. I'd already installed aftermarket keys and the driver's side was still maxed out and I still didn't have it where I wanted it. So I decided to figure out how to upgrade by torsion bars.

As you might know, aftermarket torsion bars don't exist for GMT400 trucks, but GM made many different bars for many years. It took me a few weeks to get a solid answer, but I finally figured out enough information to buy stiffer bars that would fit but not be too stiff.

My truck has the RPO code of 6YB and 7YB. The last two digits of the RPO code correspond to the Codes in the following table, which are the two sets of bars available to 4-door Tahoe from 1997

15988805-LH (code YB) (Max torque 1935)
15988806-RH (code YB) (Max torque 1935)

15528951-LH (code GC) (Max torque 1933)
15528952-RH (code GC) (Max torque 1933)

So - I wanted to find bars that were a little stiffer but not too much stiffer. This proved to be a challenge. From another forum I found the following information for later model year's torsion bars

15048307-LH (code XK) (Max torque 4553)
15048308-RH (code XK) (Max torque 4553)

15048309-LH (code XL) (Max torque 4626)
15048310-RH (code XL) (Max torque 4626)

15712407-LH (code WX) (Max torque 4863)
15712408-RH (code WX) (Max torque 4863)

15048311-LH (code XM) (Max torque 5638)
15048312-RH (code XM) (Max torque 5638)

15058267-LH (code YH) (Max torque 5913)
15058268-RH (code YH) (Max torque 5913)

15712409-LH (code WY) (Max torque 5913)
15712410-RH (code WY) (Max torque 5913)

15528957-LH (code GG) (Max torque 6709)
15528958-RH (code GG) (Max torque 6709)

15712411-LH (code WZ) (Max torque 7267)
15712412-RH (code WZ) (Max torque 7267)

15528963-LH (code GK) (Max torque 8615)
15528964-RH (code GK) (Max torque 8615)

15528965-LH (code GL) (Max torque 8782)
15528966-RH (code GL) (Max torque 8782)

15732338-LH (code XG) (Max torque 9054)
15732339-RH (code XG) (Max torque 9054)

15528959-LH (code GH) (Max torque 7161)
15528960-RH (code GH) (Max torque 7161

The challenge was that it's clear that the torque units are clearly different between the GMT400 and the later parts. I did the math and it clear that it isn't just a unit conversion thing. Someone on the FB page noted it might be that the effective lever arm of the GMT400 and later years are different, so the torque values are different.

What I deduced, however, is that the lightest bars were installed on base level tahoes and trucks (corresponding to 4553 max torque) and, obviously. the heaviest bars were for progressively heavier vehicles. I therefore just assumed that 4553 max torque (on the code XK bar) was equal to my torsion bars at 1935 max torque (code YB). Moving down the table from there, I decided that the 5638 max torque bars (code XM) were a mild upgrade that would help with my extra weight. I found a right and left bar from a crashed Avalanche on ebay ($170 shipped for the pair) and I was golden...

Not so fast.

The angle of the hex features are rotated enough between the GMT400 torsion bar and the later bars that there was no way to install the keys and preload to the proper amount. I destroyed the unloading/loading tool trying.

So, I bought a new tool and then found these adjustable keys ($230 - ouch)

https://www.suspensionmaxx.com/maxxcam-adjustable-torsion-bar-leveling-kits/

Problem solved. I now have all the torsion bar head room I would ever need to keep things level and springing. I was surprised at how difficult it was to find all this information out there since it seems like I wouldn't be the first person to try this.

Meanwhile, I found a source of my problems with the excessive friction - I had installed the bolts for the upper ball joint with the heads on top, instead of like the following picture, which shows them with the heads down, closer to the knuckle.

This caused the end of the bolt and nut to come into contact with the knuckle when the control arm was articulated down. I discovered gouges in the steel on the knuckle from the contact. It was present on both sides but worse on the right, corresponding to it being harder to turn to the left.

It looks like all the excessive friction destroyed my pump, because I had the problem all solved and then the pump failed in the driveway 15 minutes into a test drive. My new pump arrives tomorrow. I'll be glad when this problem is behind me.

Wow, that is quite a bit of research! Great job on the fix, good to see it's solvable!

Reply to topic Page 32 of 32
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32