excuse me sir would you like more info on our solar panels
no
maybe we can help you plan for your future upgrades. how old is your house
1991 but no
can we get your information to send you some stuff
no
how long do you plan on living in your house
dude im here for thread sealant gtfo

Lol! Hell if you would have been interested in solar power he still wouldn't have known nothing he would have just read out of a pamphlet!!

LOL - I sometimes go twice per week and the same dude keeps asking me.

Me: dude you asked me already last week and the week before and even the week before and before that too and each and every time I told you the same: our electricity bill is $25 per month - so thank you, but I don't want to invest multiple thousands in solar so I can save $25 per month - thank you.

-----------------------------------------

Roof Solar is only good if you have an OCD washing habbit or some fancy expensive electricity guzzler Tesla in your Republic Kalifornia garage, that you charge during the day when you are working night shifts.
FYI Tesla S takes 100Kwh charge to fill up to go a manufacturer claimed 350 miles (which tested more like 250-300 miles, but never mind). Residential 100Kwh in California is about $35. So $35 to go 250-300 miles - thank you, but no thank you - TBI™ can almost do that, with some cheap gas and if in a good mood.

I’ve thought about doing some solar stuff,our bill can be as high as $700 during the winter sometimes (house and home shop).
It’s really time to do another energy audit though and take care of some maintenance.

I’m more of a “piece it together yourself for cheaper but end up spending twice as much in the end” kind of guy though.
Can’t pay retail in that scenario or i’d spend 3x as much.

I’ve thought about doing some solar stuff,our bill can be as high as $700 during the winter sometimes (house and home shop).
It’s really time to do another energy audit though and take care of some maintenance.

A few thoughts on this:

You can likely have a separate meter installed by an electrician, or if you think you can do it yourself... These guys sell submeters that you can install on the wiring incoming from your house at your shop's panel, but I've never used them before so I have no idea if they sell decent stuff or trash. The wiring for the panel would pass through this guy, and it'll give you the shop's power usage. Subtract that from the house bill and you'll know how much the house uses.

I know I've been in your house before but it's been too many years so I don't remember if you have cathedral ceilings. If you do, there's a huge part of the problem. It can be as much as 10 degrees hotter in the ceiling area, so you're paying to heat a 2 story house while only living in 1 story with a cathedral ceiling. Ceiling fans can help push the heat down, but you're still having to heat all that area.

LED bulbs save quite a bit over CFLs, and tons over incandescent. And, the 3000Kis bulbs put out the same yellow white light that the incandescent bulbs do.

Adding insulation will help a lot. I added a foot to my last house, and it cut about 100 a month off my utilities while making the house more comfortable. The insulation ran me 800 bucks for blown cellulose but that was a number of years ago.

If you have electric hot water, you may have crud or corrosion around the elements. If so, then the heater has to expend more energy to get heat to the water. Flushing the tank and replacing the elements might help. For that matter, a yearly tank flush will both help your tank perform better and help it last longer. Easy enough to do, just drain the tank a couple of times.

A heat pump will save you money on a monthly basis too. My dad's house is about 1800 sq ft over in Van Buren, and he likes it warm in winter and cold in summer. His total bill is about 100 a month year round, total electric house. The bad, he has to replace the heat pump about once every 10 years or so. They always run.

Being in the country, sort of, no idea if you have access to gas or not. If not, going propane might help out. It's more efficient to use fire to heat than resistance. We live close enough together that my tank supplier might be yours as well, my thousand gallon propane tank ran me about 1000 bucks delivered and installed about 3 years ago. Went with 1000 gallons because it should be enough to carry me through an entire year, which is important because propane is damned expensive when you have to fill the tank in December or January but a lot cheaper about this time of year. Not to mention, having propane in the winter is great when you have backup heaters and a power outage.

Lastly, your offspring as I recall should be in the teens by now. My kids had a bad habit of standing in front of the fridge for 10-15 minutes trying to decide what to eat, leaving lights on all hours of the day and night, taking hour long showers, ect. Having the kids move out saved me more on my utilities than anything else.

Hope some of this helps.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1