RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Audio nut question
Post Audio nut question 
Got an odd one for anyone who cares to answer.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRVV500/Alpine-MRV-V500.html?search=Alpine_MRV-V500_amplifier&skipvs=T
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108KAPPA12/Infinity-Kappa-1200W.html?search=Infinity_Kappa_1200W&skipvs=T

Question - what gauge wire would be recommended to connect the sub to the amp? The distance between the two might be 50 feet.

That was not a typo. 50 feet of wire between the sub and the amp.

take your watts divided by volts (12 or 13.5 or ?) and this leaves your amps. amps determine wire size to prevent overheating.....

Wire tables will give you the awg. you can use peak power in watts for worst case or average watts for normal cases....

Why is the sub 50 feet from the amp? I'd use 8ga , but why only 250rms on a sub that takes 6-800rms easy?

What I'm doing is trying to set up a stereo system for the game room in my house, which is 18 foot by 26 foot. I can't find a decent stereo that will do what I want unless I want to drop about 3-4 grand and dedicate a lot of floor space to it. I decided instead that, since car stereos can thunder across an arena, to put one in my house. Going to build a nice cabinet to house it all in, and use a computer power supply to put juice to it. It will have four 6x9 speakers mounted in the ceiling. The only thing I've not figured out is where to put the subwoofer, which can be up to 40ft away from the stereo as the wiring runs. I'm setting this up for quality sound, not pounding high volume stuff, and I like how a sub will help with filling the sound in.

On the sub, any suggestions? The stereo is the one I will be using, but the rest of it I'm open to suggestions on. On the sub, would prefer a sealed box setup.

Alpine CDE-HD149BT stereo
Alpine PDR-V75 amplifier
Clarion EQS755 equalizer
Polk Audio MM 652 6.5in speaker
Alpine SWT-10S2 subwoofer

EDIT - redid the component selection after some research.

that's a great idea! I did that (just with old car gear though) when I was a kid - set it up in my garage and I had outdoor audio. Lot less expensive than home stereo stuff too.

Most any subs can be installed sealed or vented it just takes two different size enclosures

Yep, was going to do the junked stereo route for my shed since it's looking like it is going to be a workshop instead of a storage area when it clicked, I can do the same for the house. They just don't make a home stereo system anymore, and my last one crapped out on me.

So the updated list of components looks better matched then? My audio skills normally run to an Alpine stereo and four Polk Audio speakers sized to fit the holes, and that's it.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1