RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
wiring harness help
Post wiring harness help 
im working on removing my 97 5.7 vortec engine
im going to replace it with a 5.3

i have all wiring removed from the motor except the wiring going to the firewall on the left and going to back behind the engine.

is it ok to the cut those or do i need them?

Those are probably either the trans and/or the O2 sensor wires and need to be kept.

Jeff

Those are probably either the trans and/or the O2 sensor wires and need to be kept.

Jeff

cool,

thanks Jeff

I'm in the midst of deconstructing my 97 Tahoe harness and have become very familiar with the wiring harness (both engine and chassis sides). I'm not sure which firewall connections you are referring to, but there are two passthroughs at the firewall. Passenger side is called P101. Driver's side (large, multipin connector) is called C100.

I have the Helm manual for 97 C/K models. Let me know what you need and I can snap pic of whatever pages you want. Let me know.

I'm in the midst of deconstructing my 97 Tahoe harness and have become very familiar with the wiring harness (both engine and chassis sides). I'm not sure which firewall connections you are referring to, but there are two pass throughs at the firewall. Passenger side is called P101. Driver's side (large, multipin connector) is called C100.

I have the Helm manual for 97 C/K models. Let me know what you need and I can snap pic of whatever pages you want. Let me know.

i need the passenger side P101
i'm not about the wire that are running down the back of the block toward the trans.

i need the passenger side P101
i'm not about the wire that are running down the back of the block toward the trans.

OK. Yeah, that's a critical one. You'll need to maintain it. I'll get the pinouts (it's actually a passthrough and not a connector, thus the "P" designation instead of a "C") for you but I won't be able to get them until after turkey day (manual is at the shop).

Off the top of my head, I know the brake signal wire goes through there (purple wire, ckt 420), the heater blower power (fat red wire), and I think the transmission selector information is passed to the transfer case control module through there (not sure about that one).

Which truck do you have?

Here is a close up of that passthrough from my harness.

I actually just remembered that I was beating my head against the wall with this one when I was tracing things out.

The problem is that there is no true "pinout" of a passthrough. The manual didn't even have a location for it called out, I had to infer it from several drawings.

That said, I think I can ID most of the wires because I've been tracing them. I do remember there are two that go to the black connector under the instrument panel that I haven't yet IDed.

Hope this isn't to urgent for you, but I will get you the info by the weekend.

I actually just remembered that I was beating my head against the wall with this one when I was tracing things out.

The problem is that there is no true "pinout" of a passthrough. The manual didn't even have a location for it called out, I had to infer it from several drawings.

That said, I think I can ID most of the wires because I've been tracing them. I do remember there are two that go to the black connector under the instrument panel that I haven't yet IDed.

Hope this isn't to urgent for you, but I will get you the info by the weekend.

it is a 97 1500 sub

no rush

thanks

A sick kid allowed me to make a quick trip to the shop. As I suspected, P101 is the primary passthrough for the transmission signals to the transfer case control module. There are 10 wires that pass through the firewall here. Seven of these signals go through C200 which is a 10 pin (2x5) connector under the dash on the passenger side. This is the tranny signal connector. The other three (larger gauge wires - one red, two black) are running to C203 and are power and ground for the HVAC blower system, I think. There is no pinout for C203 in the manual, so I've had to find the callout on various wiring diagrams.

Below are some pics.

Here are closeups of the firewall and under dash connectors

Here are shots from the Helm Manual

Component location views

Here is the C200 Pinout. I've scrawled in the colors on the connector to help me.

Here is one of the wiring diagrams that calls out the C203. First is the overall diagram, then a zoom in on the lower right side where the C203 mention is made. This is the ground distribution diagram. The power distribution diagram has a similar callout of that connector. I never found why there are two grounds in that connector.

Hope this helps.

A sick kid allowed me to make a quick trip to the shop. As I suspected, P101 is the primary passthrough for the transmission signals to the transfer case control module. There are 10 wires that pass through the firewall here. Seven of these signals go through C200 which is a 10 pin (2x5) connector under the dash on the passenger side. This is the tranny signal connector. The other three (larger gauge wires - one red, two black) are running to C203 and are power and ground for the HVAC blower system, I think. There is no pinout for C203 in the manual, so I've had to find the callout on various wiring diagrams.

Below are some pics.

Here are closeups of the firewall and under dash connectors

Here are shots from the Helm Manual

Component location views

Here is the C200 Pinout. I've scrawled in the colors on the connector to help me.

Here is one of the wiring diagrams that calls out the C203. First is the overall diagram, then a zoom in on the lower right side where the C203 mention is made. This is the ground distribution diagram. The power distribution diagram has a similar callout of that connector. I never found why there are two grounds in that connector.

Hope this helps.

hey doc,
thanks alot
this info helps tremendously

thanks again

Post wire harness @ firewall on driverside 
need a little help fellas

how do i remove the 2 wiring harness connectors on the driver side?
it seems there is screw or something in the center of one

i have pried and pulled but no dice

These two pics should help. I think it is a philips head, but might be torx. Cant quite tell from the photo.

Here's the engine side

Heres the dash side

Not sure which other connectors you were referring to in your PM. Can you elaborare?

Heres a pic with the sleeve over the connector. You need to slide the cover off one direction to get to the fastener. Its deep in the connector so you need to engage it by feel only. You wont be able to see.

I actually undid the bulkhead screws from the inside, but that nothing to get the firewall connector apart, it just made it loose in the firewall. Wasted effort and extra work to get it back together. Dont try that.

These two pics should help. I think it is a philips head, but might be torx. Cant quite tell from the photo.

Here's the engine side

Heres the dash side

Not sure which other connectors you were referring to in your PM. Can you elaborare?

****update****

i got it off
it requires a T-30
just in case someone else run into that issue.

thanks for the help

Here's the engine side

Heres the dash side

Does anyone have information on where these wires go? Or where I can go to get the information? Thanks

I am pretty sure alldatadiy.com has that connector pinout that goes through the firewall into the fuse box

Here's the engine side

Heres the dash side

When you put the 496 in your Tahoe, besides having to put drive by wire in, what other wires did you have to change?

When you put the 496 in your Tahoe, besides having to put drive by wire in, what other wires did you have to change?

Ah. That is a very long answer. I started a spreadsheet that had all of the changes to it, but never finished it.

It's a very deep project to do it the way that I did it. Most people suggest just going with the Howell wiring harness and be done with it. I didn't want to do that because I wanted everything to work as factory. And it does. It's great. But....it took me 7 months of wiring to get it right.

In a nutshell, you have to completely re-feed the electrical distribution for the engine with the swap, since the 8.1 terminates to a plug, whereas the L31 is wired directly to the power distribution box.

I can certainly help by sharing all the mods I made. I have few spreadsheets and 12 pages of handwritten notes that document what I did, but it mostly decipherable only by me.

One big change you need to make is to add extra power circuits (one 60A Maxifuse, a relay, and three 20-30A circuits) to feed the L18 vs the L31. Remember, the L31 had one coil and 2 injectors. The L18 has 8 of each. There are also a few more sensors to power.

IF you've read my thread on my build, it has a lot of info. There's too much to read through in one sitting, but you should be able to scan and get to some of the electrical stuff.

Let me know how else I can help.

Post Merging wirings, k1500 1990 TBIā„¢ & vortec 1998 engine wir 
Hi everyone,
I need some help merging together my trucks silverado 5.7 k1500 1990 in cabin wiring with 1998 5.7 vortec under hood wiring. The trouble i`m having is finding the pinout charts and wiring diagrams of the connectors on the passenger side, the C200a&b, c235 pinout chart of in cabin passenger side connectors, and the same side 1998 vortec connectors, i couldn`t fined even the schematic of the 1998 vortec connector. If anyone has these diagrams and pinot charts, could you guys please share them.

Thanks!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1