RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
98 k1500 rear brakes wont bleed.
Post 98 k1500 rear brakes wont bleed. 
I replaced 2 lines that rusted out on drivers side, right on frame rail.
So now of course I need to bleed system. All bleeder screws rusted out. I replaced both calipers, and both wheel cyclinders.
So I now begin process of bleeding brakes starting right rear, left rear, right front and then left front. I have been on this for 2 days now and cant get pressure to any rear brakes.
I have good pressure to front when trying to bleed. I have no brake lights on in dash.
this is on 98 k1500 truck.
Dear camp is next week, please help!!

First off I checked and cannot confirm if brake light on dash comes on, because it doesnt even come on when you turn the key, so it may have been blown. I have only had this truck a year.
I have tried bleeding brakes with a vacumme bleeder, and also the brake pedal push method, either way I just get a trickle of fluid.
I read the ABS modual may need bleed, is there a way to do it with out scan tool?

You need a scantool that has a ABS bleed function. People have tried braking on gravel to make the ABS come on, but I doubt it works as good as the scantool does.

Also I don't understand why the vacuum method does not produce enough fluid. Something is off.

By the way, I'm soon about to change rear wheel cylinders, rear brake rubber hose and brake shoes as well. Just bought Harbor Tools #92924 Pneumatic Vacuum Bleeder. Can't wait to use it.

You need a scantool that has a ABS bleed function. People have tried braking on gravel to make the ABS come on, but I doubt it works as good as the scantool does.

Also I don't understand why the vacuum method does not produce enough fluid. Something is off.

By the way, I'm soon about to change rear wheel cylinders, rear brake rubber hose and brake shoes as well. Just bought Harbor Tools #92924 Pneumatic Vacuum Bleeder. Can't wait to use it.

A friend has a OBD 2 scan tool, How do I know if that tool will work? Also he bought it for a 2007 trailblazer, will his plug work on my 98 truck?
I also have the same harbor freight vacuum bleeder, I only get drips when I use it.

Given that you bought the truck used and the brake light appears to be disconnected, there can be some legacy issues from the previous owner. There must be a blockage somewhere.

I'll probably do mine next week, so I can say more about fluid flow by then.

There are only a few scan tools that do ABS bleed. E.g my Snap-On MT2500 does not even do it with the 1999 cartrige upate. But then I bought the 2007 (9.2) cartrige update and that has ABS bleed function and so the MT2500 does it with that cartrige update. You access the function over the display and you can hear it when the function turns on the ABS pump.

Given that you bought the truck used and the brake light appears to be disconnected, there can be some legacy issues from the previous owner. There must be a blockage somewhere.

I'll probably do mine next week, so I can say more about fluid flow by then.

There are only a few scan tools that do ABS bleed. E.g my Snap-On MT2500 does not even do it with the 1999 cartrige upate. But then I bought the 2007 (9.2) cartrige update and that has ABS bleed function and so the MT2500 does it with that cartrige update. You access the function over the display and you can hear it when the function turns on the ABS pump.

i"m in the process of gravity bleeding, started coming out pretty good(right rear), then stopped, hooked up Mightyvac tool, to get more, coming out little at a time, so disconnected mighty vac, continuing with gravity, lots of air bubbles which is good. So I will continue this until no more air bubbes, and continue filling MC.
So if this continues like this and get no more air bubbles, I should be good correct? Meaning the ABS wont need bleed?

well getting a little worried, been about hour and about half a quart of fluid and still alot of bubbles. I cant have a leaky line somewhere cause when I was pumping pedal yesterday to bleed I didnt see any leaks anywhere. Any ideas?

All I can tell you that I'm actively thinking about the ABS bleed issue, because I have 2x more vehicles with ABS that my scanner does not 'talk to'.

I think what I would do without ABS bleeder is to fill the line as much as possible and then try to pressuere feed it from the bleed screw and sypon off the raising fluid from the reservoir. This is just a theory though, I'm not sure it would actually work. Also it would require a large enough amount of continually fed pressurised brake fluid. So one syringe or a series of syringes would not work because of the air that would be introduced with every new syringe.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1