RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Engine swap into Corvair
Post Engine swap into Corvair 
Besides all the other technicalities, I'd like some thoughts on GM V6 engines.
Getting a reverse rotation cam is easiest for GM engines that are also used in marine applications. Can I get 250 hp out of a 4.3?? Or, for the ease of parts availability would an old school 327 V8 be wiser?

And, hey to my old buds! I'm fine. Yukon Denali 6.2 now, going back to a truck next summer.

250 out of the 4.3 is very doable, the old nascar truck series use to run 4.3 and made way more than 250, they make raised runner heads for the 4.3
If I was going with a v8 I'd go with the new LS

Welcome back. The new 3.6 V6s in the Camaros are putting over 300HP out from the factory. It should bolt up to the same trans you'd be using with a 4.3L.

The 4.3s are just terrible engines. There was little support for them when they were in production and practically none now. For what it's worth, here is a Hot Rod writeup where they managed a 300HP 4.3L, normally aspirated. I'd suggest trying to find an offset crank if you can find one as it'll make it run smoother. They should be strong enough, considering the Grand National ran an offset crank in its 3.8L V6.

A 327 would work well in one too. A short crank engine winds up fast and does wonders in a lightweight car. You can either go Gen 1, or if you wanted to go LS you can get a 4.8L (3.27 inch stroke) crank and put it into a 6.0L (4.0 inch bore) block. This would easily get you your HP requirement using low compression and a stock level cam.

The 5.3L LS4 would be perfect for this application as far as v8 are concerned since it was design to fit into a FWD car and it's light too.

But apparently a properly massaged 4.3 can do more than 250hp.
They also make stroker kits for them.

301 hp at 5,500 rpm and 312 lb-ft at 4,700.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/chevy-43l-262ci-v6-engine-build/

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0705-pitstop-chevrolet-v6-performance/

Funny, that's the Hot Rod article I meant to put in my post.

Funny, that's the Hot Rod article I meant to put in my post.

Beat you to it Razz

Nah seriously, I just glanced at the answers. And did a quick seach on the subject so it was pure coincidence that I posted what you where referring to.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1