RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 39 of 40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
The Random Thought Thread

The old crow has pneumonia, not Parkinsons, apparently. Out of season pneumonia. The hag is 68 years old and horribly out of shape. A lot of rich folks die of pneumonia.

On the other hand, maybe it's Parkinsons.

the park makes u swallow weird and get stuff into the lungz which is why cough which is why the pneumono

Buy new heads don't bother with used they are more headhache than it's worth. In the end, it will cost you more.

Post Two fuel strategy 
At part loads below 8 bar BMEP, the engine ONR is quite low, below 90 RON. The vast majority of driving time is at light load implying that the fuel octane is wasted. A new solution is to separate tank fuel into low octane and high octane components, like separating E10 into E3 and E50. The fuel separator stores the lower volume high octane fuel and uses the low octane fuel directly. The high octane fuel is used only as needed but the relative volumes of fuel used will depend on the drive cycle requirement. Honda compared a 1.5L engine with 12.5 CR using the twofuel system to a 1.8L engine with 10.5 CR and found very large benefits in fuel economy of ~25%. Some of this benefit is due to the use of Atkinson cycle on the 12.5 CR engine.

While octane benefits starting at a base engine with 10.5 to 11CR are reasonable, the benefits decline with increasing CR. Average engine CR has been increasing continuously for the last 30 years and new technologies suggest that they will increase by 1.5 to 2.0 CR from 2010 to 2025. This implies decreasing value of octane in the future. Octane waste at part load suggests that the fuel splitting solution into low and high octane components, if proven, may provide engine designers more flexibility without having to introduce new high octane fuels.

Post When Does a Speed Limit Come Into Effect 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRy8fjND8Qk

I saw the funniest thing today. I was on the highway in moderate traffic when I came across a new Ford truck with the Ecoboost engine. It was struggling to make it to 45MPH on a road with a minimum 40MPH speed. Cars were blowing around it, cutting around it, blowing their horns, and the driver did not look happy. Of course, it was pulling a trailer so that probably explains why it was having trouble.

However, I found the guy's situation to be hilarious.

Why?

The trailer was one of those 4x8 trailers you'd use to haul a lawn mower.

The trailer was empty.

Some of the older ones had intercooler problems. Basically the intercooler was good sized and very efficient. The increased pressure from the turbo squeezes out moisture as it cools going across the heat exchanger. The moisture collects in the lower portion of the intercooler where it doesn't become a problem until getting into the throttle. At that point the water blows through past the throttle body and into the intake. Unfortunately it isn't atomized - it's in globs and that causes severe misfires.
These trucks aren't slow or incapable of towing, but like everything else Ford they struggle with real-world testing and come to market without adequate engineering.

Needs a purge valve hehe.

Hah well, Ford's "fix" was to install a giant block-off plate to severely reduce the effectiveness of the intercooler. The most popular fix, however, is to just drill a tiny hole into the bottom of the cool side core manifold. The intercooler is never under vacuum.

CrazyHoe wrote:
Needs a purge valve hehe.

Hah well, Ford's "fix" was to install a giant block-off plate to severely reduce the effectiveness of the intercooler. The most popular fix, however, is to just drill a tiny hole into the bottom of the cool side core manifold. The intercooler is never under vacuum.

They are such engineers!
It's just like tanks on compressors

Ive read that the new ECOBoost V6's, since they have now dropped the 6.2 liter V8 gasser, now features BOTH Direct Injection AND conventional Port Fuel Injection injectors on the same engine.

peace
Hog

I guess that would help with the enormous PCV problem every manufacturer has with direct injection. I would guess the port injectors would be used under power. That's got to be a tuning/emission nightmare.

Ive read that the new ECOBoost V6's, since they have now dropped the 6.2 liter V8 gasser, now features BOTH Direct Injection AND conventional Port Fuel Injection injectors on the same engine.

peace
Hog

My guess is that you can't direct inject enough fuel in that compression cycle at high rpm so they switch to port injection.

And btw, DI has no cleaning action of the back of the intake valve so carbon builds up an causes engine codes to pop up due rough engine.

Having port injection should clear this up

*Edit*
After futher review, maybe there is not a carbon issue with Ford, as there is with Audi. Or maybe, they want to make sure there isn't.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/01/is-carbon-buildup-a-problem-with-direct-injection-engines-.html

I remember the Audi issues, some guys have gone so far as to install accohol injection just to clean out the intake tracts.

I remember there was a race only Chev engine that had both the Port and DI injectors. At the time the DI injectors were available in large enough sizes.

DI is weird, it injects fuel in stages, not just a straight amount of pulsewidth like PFI. That would make things difficult times wise at high rpm.

peace
Hog

So I go to start the Trailblazer on the first day of spring and the battery is completely dead. I find out solar pannels in the great north aren't effective with snow on top....
Wait what! Now the ignition won't relase my key.

I don't have a proper charger and no boost cables. Grrrrr Mad

I only have a 10mm wrench and 1/2" socket.... Hmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg3mxWJeDHU

I was looking for sound reduction for a tornado shelter as the concrete walls echo horribly. While searching, found this. Sheetrock for the tinfoil hat brigade.

https://www.quietrock.com/products/quietrock-530-rf

Neat. Apparently the PCM in my Tahoe will support both turbocharging and supercharging.

Reply to topic Page 39 of 40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next