RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Crank Triggers and 0411 PCM
Post Crank Triggers and 0411 PCM 
Do the aftermarket crank triggers (Holley, FAST, MSD, etc) generate a signal the 0411 PCM can read? If not, is there a way to convert it? Thanks. -Bob

Maybe we can start with the 0411 PCM - what kind(s) of signal is it looking for from the crank signal in a stock application?

The 0411 PCM if loaded with a Vortec 350 calibration is looking for a 4x reluctor signal. If the 0411 is loaded with a Corvette or F-body(Camaro/Firebird) a 24x reluctor signal is required.

Its not a simple evenly spaced 24x signal, it's "keyed" if you will.

Here is the GM Performance kit for the BBC.

Here is the EFIConnection 24x reluctor wheel that allows the single Crankshaft Position Sensor that is used on the 1996-1998 Vortec 305/350, instead of the much more expensive 1998-2001 L21 Vortec 454 crank position sensor(10456248)( that stock used the Coil Near Plug(CNP) Ignition and Electronic Throttle Control(ETC)
L21 24x reluctor wheel p/n 12552480 $23 from GM Parts Giant is a dual wheeled reluctor wheel, as such it requires the L21 10456248 crank position sensor(US$105 for the Delco OEM part). The EFIConnection reluctor wheel I pictured, provides the GM 24x signal, requiring only the single crank position sensor to read it.(12562910 for the Delco OEM part $50 from Rock Auto)

If your SBC engine has a BBC front crank snout, then you could use an L21 454 24x reluctor wheel directly, if using a SBC crank snout an aftermarket 24x reluctor wheel is needed.

Here is an actual GM L21 double sensor, wherever there is a notch on one wheel, the opposite wheel has that area fulled in.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb373/Paul_Schermerhorn/L21.jpg

And here is the low resolution Vortec 305/350 4x reluctor wheel. The 96-2000Vortec L29 454 uses a 4x reluctor as well, but of course has the different BBC sized hole.

peace
Hog

That is all great info and I will file it for reference, however, I'm wanting to use an aftermarket crank trigger on a Mark IV BBC with the 0411 and I don't know if they (external to the timing cover triggers) are compatible with the 0411.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1