RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Gen3 ecm w L31 & Hp tuners
Author Message
Reply with quote
Post Gen3 ecm w L31 & Hp tuners 
Im coming towards the end of my 383 turbo build. It has a 24x reluctor and a 6243 ecu out of a DBC 05 2500 HD van.
My engine will only run after extensive cranking.
Any one else that has done this swap would you please tell me what has to be meshed together with from the fbody ecu map and the l31 0411 map.
In Aloicious write up Aloicious writes . What does he mean ? WHat tables have to be copyed and pasted? Does any one have a file I could use PLEASE?
" Now that everything is installed, we need to work on the tune. I had some initial problems with the tune, you HAVE to use an LSx based tune for it all to work, you can’t use an Xvan based tune (like the stock L31 411 PCM swap requires) and copy the LS1 tables in, it just won’t start. So what you need to do is start with a good LS1 tune (Fbody for cable driven throttle bodies, corvette for DBW setups), I used a 2002 Fbody tune, copied the tables like VE and spark maps and other pertinent tables (a lot of them, I’m not going to list them all, but it was a lot of the engine calibration section) into the Fbody tune, but left the Fbody coil tables (i.e. dwell time, etc)as is to work correctly with the new setup, I also searched out all the tables that were referenced to the 24x crank signal, and kept them the same as the Fbody tune. It’s an involved process, and if someone needs help with it I can help out, but I’m not going to list the dozens of tables that do and don’t need altering. "
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/24x.html

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
The basics that are crucial are the cylinder volume table to be correct, the injector tables to be correct (this can't be fudged)
And the firing order for the L31 is 18436572 and not what's in the LSX based tune so maybe cylinder #4 and # 7 can be swapped in the firing order for the injector and plug wires and you need to re scale your map sensor if using a 2 or 3 bar map sensor. Keep note but Add a bit to the idle air flow tables and then go back later and tweak back down.
Tuning isn't about cutting and pasting tables.... especially if you modify something like you have. It's the things you don't know about that gets expensive when the motor melts down. Hopefully this helps some

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
stroker97k1500 wrote:
The basics that are crucial are the cylinder volume table to be correct, the injector tables to be correct (this can't be fudged)
And the firing order for the L31 is 18436572 and not what's in the LSX based tune so maybe cylinder #4 and # 7 can be swapped in the firing order for the injector and plug wires and you need to re scale your map sensor if using a 2 or 3 bar map sensor. Keep note but Add a bit to the idle air flow tables and then go back later and tweak back down.
Tuning isn't about cutting and pasting tables.... especially if you modify something like you have. It's the things you don't know about that gets expensive when the motor melts down. Hopefully this helps some


IT actually did thank you. I can get it to start up pretty much right away now . But wont stay running. Better than it was . ILL do more tomorrow.
BY chance do you know what to do with the tan wires for the 02 sensors on the 1mb ecu?

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Unfortunately I don't without a pin out. How did you pin the connectors anyway? What diagram?I would think using a 0411 ecm and lextechs wiring diagram and pinning for the coil per plug conversion(which I am thinking you are doing?) would be a whole lot more straight forward. Then you would know exactly where every wire goes also. Enfortunately no matter how much you change in the software,it can't correct an issue with the wires accidentally or not being pinned for exactly what setup it believes you have.
I have done many, many ecm swaps and built my own harness also, believe me, it is not hard to put a pin or many in the wrong spot.(I have even when being extra careful to later find out an issue I had was because of wiring)
Good luck man
Robby

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
stroker97k1500 wrote:
Unfortunately I don't without a pin out. How did you pin the connectors anyway? What diagram?I would think using a 0411 ecm and lextechs wiring diagram and pinning for the coil per plug conversion(which I am thinking you are doing?) would be a whole lot more straight forward. Then you would know exactly where every wire goes also. Enfortunately no matter how much you change in the software,it can't correct an issue with the wires accidentally or not being pinned for exactly what setup it believes you have.
I have done many, many ecm swaps and built my own harness also, believe me, it is not hard to put a pin or many in the wrong spot.(I have even when being extra careful to later find out an issue I had was because of wiring)
Good luck man
Robby

Its was the tune the motor is way to different the stock ecu was to confused .Truck idles now ive been data loging with my wide band. Found few how to on youtube. So all is good here now.
I do have jeffs pinout its not the same as my ecus pinout. Close but no cigar. There were very minor differences it a few of the gen 3 ecms. Im using the one in this link for the 03-07 lq4 . My ecu is a 04 2500 hd lq4. If you look there were a few differences. Biggest being 02 sensors.
I mean its not rocket science to take two pin outs repin 8 injectors 8coils maf map iac iat tps and 02s sensors.
http://lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Yes the 0411 is a 512kb PCM, you are using a 1mb PCM, there are bound to be differences. Its not just a GEN 1 to GEN 3 engine difference.

It may not be rocket science to make pinout changes, but as you found it, it can trip you up if you have no idea what you are doing.
Now get that beast tuned

peace
Hog

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Hog wrote:
Yes the 0411 is a 512kb PCM, you are using a 1mb PCM, there are bound to be differences. Its not just a GEN 1 to GEN 3 engine difference.

It may not be rocket science to make pinout changes, but as you found it, it can trip you up if you have no idea what you are doing.
Now get that beast tuned

peace
Hog

Im trying to wrap my head around tuning this motor. I wish I wouldof went with 58x setup to begin with.
Do you know what to do with the low h02 wires? green clip pins 72/74 . 0411 they ground out on the exhaust 1mb ecu they have there own grounds. Do I ground out pins 72/74 or run isolated grounds for each.

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Mrich0908 wrote:
Hog wrote:
Yes the 0411 is a 512kb PCM, you are using a 1mb PCM, there are bound to be differences. Its not just a GEN 1 to GEN 3 engine difference.

It may not be rocket science to make pinout changes, but as you found it, it can trip you up if you have no idea what you are doing.
Now get that beast tuned

peace
Hog

Im trying to wrap my head around tuning this motor. I wish I wouldof went with 58x setup to begin with.
Do you know what to do with the low h02 wires? green clip pins 72/74 . 0411 they ground out on the exhaust 1mb ecu they have there own grounds. Do I ground out pins 72/74 or run isolated grounds for each.

I cant help you on that one, sorry.

peace
Hog

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Any of you use HPtuners and are coil over plug w/ a gen 3 ecm ?
Here is my newest problem. I cant get my cam offset PID to work. I email HPtuners they said I had a hardware problem. So I went out purchased a new ecm and licensed it. My Pid still wont work.
Support stops contacting me pretty much ignores me . The owner replys in a thread I have over in the HPtuners forum saying once a engine goes Coil over plug stops using the distributor the Pids ceases to function.
I cant believe once you add those ten coil wires the ecm knows and stops putting out info for that PID.

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Mrich0908 wrote:
Any of you use HPtuners and are coil over plug w/ a gen 3 ecm ?
Here is my newest problem. I cant get my cam offset PID to work. I email HPtuners they said I had a hardware problem. So I went out purchased a new ecm and licensed it. My Pid still wont work.
Support stops contacting me pretty much ignores me . The owner replys in a thread I have over in the HPtuners forum saying once a engine goes Coil over plug stops using the distributor the Pids ceases to function.
I cant believe once you add those ten coil wires the ecm knows and stops putting out info for that PID.


Is that the PID that you use to adjust the CMP retard, such as trying to adjust it to Plus or Minus 2º?
It seems that HPTuners and EFILive are more interested in supporting the new current ECM/TCM combos rather than helping us guys that are using the old tech 1/2 and 1 meg PCMs.

peace
Hog

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
Hog wrote:
Mrich0908 wrote:
Any of you use HPtuners and are coil over plug w/ a gen 3 ecm ?
Here is my newest problem. I cant get my cam offset PID to work. I email HPtuners they said I had a hardware problem. So I went out purchased a new ecm and licensed it. My Pid still wont work.
Support stops contacting me pretty much ignores me . The owner replys in a thread I have over in the HPtuners forum saying once a engine goes Coil over plug stops using the distributor the Pids ceases to function.
I cant believe once you add those ten coil wires the ecm knows and stops putting out info for that PID.


Is that the PID that you use to adjust the CMP retard, such as trying to adjust it to Plus or Minus 2º?
It seems that HPTuners and EFILive are more interested in supporting the new current ECM/TCM combos rather than helping us guys that are using the old tech 1/2 and 1 meg PCMs.

peace
Hog

Yes thats the pid.
Regardless of their interest. I bought a product that has a software glitch. But honestly a huge market of theirs is LSX gen3/4 users .
SO Im trying to find another user who uses hptuners with their gen1 and is coil over plug.

View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post  
My understanding is that it is a non adjustable thing once you swap to CNP

View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum