RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 15 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
JAMES B
Careful on the muffler selection then. The larger single pipe will make for a much louder system. For example, had two separate systems with the same sort of muffler, on two similar vehicles. One had a single 3 inch, the other dual 2.25 inch. The only difference in the mufflers was inlet/outlet diameter. The single muffler was much louder than the dual 2.25s, even though the dual 2.25s had more cross section space and therefore could carry more exhaust than the single 3 inch. In fact, it was so loud I had to replace it with something else the same day.

I seem to recall you had some experience with a Walker Quietflow. They seem to be in the business of OEM replacements though and have nothing big. It there was room I'd even consider running two OEM units. I just want QUIET.

I seem to recall you had some experience with a Walker Quietflow. They seem to be in the business of OEM replacements though and have nothing big. It there was room I'd even consider running two OEM units. I just want QUIET.

How about making your own? Seriously

Quiet oem replacement mufflers suck.

The inside diameters are much smaller than the inlet pipe.

I got F250 mufflers for my build. My reasoning is that turbos are sensitive to back pressure.
We'll see how that works out.

What about muffler design for high power super luxury sedans like Rolls-Royce.

http://www.bksv.com/NewsEvents/Waves/Articles/2014/In-search-of-the-worlds-quietest-car

https://youtu.be/uS-lAlp48FQ
https://youtu.be/Xaf_LbBshgw

https://youtu.be/bzVDhJGlL2g

Yes, they work pretty well but they do need resonators. When I put them in (for the wife) the end result was a vehicle that sounded like a Buick at idle and sounded like a truck at idle at WOT. The Walkers also have better flow than factory mufflers, like 30 percent according to the advertising bumpf.

The quietest way is going to be duals with a crossover, with the smallest diameter that will support the engine, dropping diameter a quarter inch behind the axles back, 12 inch glasspacks after the axle with the serrations facing the engine, and tips the same diameter as the pipes that extend past the body. The tips will most likely have to be welded to the glasspacks. This is pretty much the system I had on my old Tahoe, and currently have on my truck.

I don't doubt they can be quiet but when the inside diameter is 2.625" when it's supposed to be 3"in 3"out, I think that kind of quiet is not optimal for performance.

Most after market mufflers are pretty standard in shape and generic in design, meant to replace oem and compromised by the available space.

So, thinking out loud, using as much real estate as needed to muffle sound instead of using strait pipe.

Custom made,
2-Using strait through but with internal baffling disks like a gun silencer.
3-Active sound wave cancelation using 2 pipes of different lengths or by electroacoustics.

Post Louvered core muffler: Not ideal for max performance 
Nice DIY exhaust system article:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/900/How-to-Make-your-Own-Effective-Exhaust-System.aspx

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/900/PageID/1027/How-to-Make-your-Own-Effective-Exhaust-System.aspx

Quote:
Although this louvered core muffler looks pretty on the outside, it has a lot of backpressure. This is because the louvers make a lot of turbulence and have a thick boundary layer, effectively making the internal diameter smaller. If you use one of these mufflers, you can reduce the backpressure by running the muffler backwards and getting a muffler with a core diameter 1/2 inch bigger than the pipe. Louvered mufflers are quieter than peforated core mufflers.

If I wanted to build a super quiet high flow exhaust, this is what I would do:

See how theres a void behind the deflector

Hey, I just posted what's worked for me when going for quiet over performance. I doubt James is going to sweat 10HP lost to a glasspack though Laughing . However, I did neglect to mention using glasspacks a little larger in diameter than the pipe it connects to, my mistake.

That muffler design looks like what a Flowmaster is supposed to do.

Hey, I just posted what's worked for me when going for quiet over performance. I doubt James is going to sweat 10HP lost to a glasspack though Laughing . However, I did neglect to mention using glasspacks a little larger in diameter than the pipe it connects to, my mistake.

I understand that, but I figured James needs maximum flow for that Whipple enhanced big block.
What's the point of spending big buck for HP if you're going to spend even more to lose them.

True, a bigger dia. louvered glass pack would not restrict. But imo, it lacks the expansion chamber to dampen the pulses.

The dual 3" with six mufflers and crossover I had on the Green Tahoe was almost quiet enough, it flowed, and had the aesthetics I wanted, but all the stuff was SO heavy, expensive, and complex. I'm trying this time to keep it simple. I don't even want electric cutouts because every brand of them has flaws and ultimately fails. I've owned different brand pairs of electric cutouts now and am utterly disappointed by the lack of engineering or even intelligence in each of them.
I'm not afraid to have some backpressure and reduced flow if it means quieter. I have similar sentiments with headers and short lives. There are other concessions too - won't be doing electric fans on this if I can help it. Despite what all the kids on other sites seem to "believe" there is no set of electric fans capable of moving the volume of air a clutch fan can when it's locked. I've got my various engines into the orange with e-fans plenty of times with the way I drive. I don't want a compromised cooling system that can't handle continuous wide open throttle. Clutch fan it is.
This will probably come out with specs a lot less interesting than vehicles of my past but each dicision is coming from experience the consequences of making poor ones before.
It's interesting how much science and engineering goes into exhaust design. I'm not afraid to try something one way and change it if needed. I always put flanges in key places. Well, that's another thing... I think I'll be using V-bands this time.

The picture I have above is of a gun silencer that I made a few mods.

I like the concept cause after all we are trying to silence repeated explosions without affecting flow.

I like a gap between the in and out pipe inside an expansion chamber with no line of sight path for the sound to exit yet allow gas to follow contours without hitting sharp bends.

Check out this one: its meant to silence Jacobs brakes on diesels and it's talk on many diesel forums.
Can be as big as you want. And they give cfm flow and db attenuation. How many muffler company do that?
https://dynamic.donaldson.com/WebStore/hierarchy/hierarchy.html?section=10194

I still like my design better Smile

Last edited by CrazyHoe on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whether you buy from them or not, I suggest using Summit Racing to search. The Walker site wants to look by vehicle, not by size but the Summit site lets you search by size and layout, although there's not much selection in the 3 inch range. Turbo style is going to be quietest. The largest body that will fit will be quietest. If a dual 3 inch in/out can be found, there is the crossover taken care of. On a 4 door Tahoe, a 2ft glasspack might fit after the axle with a tip welded directly to it.

A pair of these Jones mufflers might do the trick. 3 inch in, 3 inch out. However, I have never used these mufflers and have no idea how they sound.

On the electric fans, I disagree for general purposes, but agree for your particular application. Most vehicles don't need more cooling than electrics can pull.

"Sounds" interesting

http://solo-performance.com/whisper-quiet-system

They make a 4 inch system that would more than flow for this. A single 4 inch (12.5664 sq in) has almost the same cross section as dual 3 inch (14.1372 sq in) has using the formula [[diameter/2]*result]*3.1416. The reduced diameter would just take a little off the top of the RPM band.

Corrected the formula. On a calculator, this would look like, using a single 3 inch system:

3, division button, two, equal button, times button, equal button, times button, 3.1416, equal button
3/2=1.5
1.5x1.5=2.25
2.25x3.1416=7.0686

Last edited by Speeder on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
This is not the quiet system in the video but you can contact them to discuss your needs:

https://youtu.be/CsyaNt_WIWE

You find a quiet 4" muffler let me know I need one for my 8.1 I have a walker on now and it is very loud. My biggest problem is I only have like 26” in length available. Thinking best solution may be to do a hemholtz chamber like the factory muffler uses

Reply to topic Page 15 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next