RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
96-99 7.4 performance mods
Ok, bringing this back to the top, as im finally making some forward progress, I dont have alot storage space in my garage s ive been trying to sell my original vortec 350 and 60E trans before i pull them out of my Tahoe, and this past weekend i finally did. I will be puling both and they will be sold and gone this weekend, so now its time to drop in the 454/4l80E!!!!

Ive decided that im going to run the stock vortec heads with the ZZ502 cam and upgraded comp cams parts for now, should still be able to be in the 425-450HP range and over 500TQ so a def step up from the small block. Ive also been searching and searching online for a deal on the Edelbrock Pro-flo XT EFI intake manifold. Most places want 515 for just the intake, and then 160 for the fuel rail kit, and then its 400 for the matching 90mm TB.

Well my persistence paid off, because i stumbled onto Tick Performance, and they had the intake for 384, and the fuel rail kit for 118, shipped direct from Edelbrock, so i went and ahead and placed the order, i got the rails a few weeks ago, but the intake should ship out any day now, and i scored a slightly used Edelbrock 90mm TB off eBay for 165! So all in all, i think for the money this will be a very nice intake setup that should make awesome power and torque numbers. They only offer the intake as a rec port, so im gonna open up the intake ports on the heads to match the intake. Ive also got a set of 42lb Lucas injectors that should be plenty of injector, and will be running an Aeromotive regulator on the return line. Will most likely run new fuel lines from the tank and run -8 feed and -6 return, as i plan on adding some type of forced induction down the road either turbo or S/C.

The 80e i have is a gm rebuilt with 20K miles, i have a new 2500 converter and a transgo HD2 shift kit for it, so i should be good for 7-800HP with that, and for now im be running the stock 8.6 10 bolt with 3.42 gears. This will be a street runner for now, so it should be fine.

Nice. When you replace the rear end the following week, a big block with that much juice can pull off 3.23 or higher.

Nice. When you replace the rear end the following week, a big block with that much juice can pull off 3.23 or higher.

LOL, thanks for the advice. Ive started to look for a SF 9.5 14 bolt, would love to find a 5 lug one!!

Speeder wrote:

LOL, thanks for the advice. Ive started to look for a SF 9.5 14 bolt, would love to find a 5 lug one!!

http://offroad-review.com/new/index.php?page=360

HotRodV6 wrote:
Speeder wrote:

Those are for the 10.5 full floater I think. I do like the 10.5FF as it has the rear pinion bearing support.

peace
Hog

ThunderTT wrote:
HotRodV6 wrote:
Speeder wrote:

Those are for the 10.5 full floater I think. I do like the 10.5FF as it has the rear pinion bearing support.

peace
Hog

yup - just figured i would throw it out there as there are options Razz the 454SS had the SF14 bolt stock, which i think is the same as the 6 lug, just different axle flanges - cant really remember off the top of my head...but thats what i would be looking for to stay 5 lug, the stock 454ss axle....

Yeah Ive been looking for a 5 lug 9.5 14bolt and they are tough to find. I know where a 454SS is sitting and id probably have an easier time buying the whole truck!

ON car-part.com i did find a 95 1500 9.5 14 bolt 6 lug from a 6.5TD truck. unknown miles, but they want 300 for it complete and its a 3.73 gear, not sure if its a G80 or not. I'm thinking this isn't to bad of a deal, but wanted to see what some others think that are more familiar with these axles.

If i understand things correctly, this axle would be a bolt in swap for my 10 bolt, but would i be able to swap on my stock 11" drum brakes and have the stock axles re-drilled for the 5x5 pattern?

Yeah Ive been looking for a 5 lug 9.5 14bolt and they are tough to find. I know where a 454SS is sitting and id probably have an easier time buying the whole truck!

ON car-part.com i did find a 95 1500 9.5 14 bolt 6 lug from a 6.5TD truck. unknown miles, but they want 300 for it complete and its a 3.73 gear, not sure if its a G80 or not. I'm thinking this isn't to bad of a deal, but wanted to see what some others think that are more familiar with these axles.

If i understand things correctly, this axle would be a bolt in swap for my 10 bolt, but would i be able to swap on my stock 11" drum brakes and have the stock axles re-drilled for the 5x5 pattern?

if its from a 454ss - it is a 5x5 pattern, and the brakes on the 14bolt are better

HotRodV6 wrote:

if its from a 454ss - it is a 5x5 pattern, and the brakes on the 14bolt are better

So the 9.5" SF from the SS has the 11" drums with the 2-3/4" wide brake shoes, while the lighter rears are the 10" drums with the narrower 2-1/4" brakes.

From the old Pacific Performance page
JB5
System Description Leading/Trailing Drum Brakes
Leading/trailing drum brakes are used on vehicles up to and including a 6450 pound GVW rating (excluding the Police Package). Both brake shoes are held against the wheel cylinder pistons by the upper return spring and against the fixed anchor plate by the lower return spring. When the brakes are applied, the wheel cylinder pistons move both shoes out to contact the drum. With forward wheel rotation, the forward brake shoe wraps into the drum and becomes self-energized.

With reverse wheel rotation, the rear brake shoe is self-energized. Force from the brake shoes is transferred to the anchor plate, through the backing plate, and finally to the axle flange. Adjustment is automatic and occurs on any brake application. It is normal for the front (leading) shoe and lining assembly to wear faster than the rear (trailing) shoe and lining assembly.

JB6
System Description Duo-Servo Drum Brakes
Duo-servo drum brakes are used on vehicles with a 6600 pound and higher GVW rating (including the Police Package). When the brakes are applied, the wheel cylinder piston forces the leading edge of the primary shoe and lining assembly to contact the rotating drum. The shoe tries to rotate with the drum and transfers force to the secondary shoe and lining assembly through the star-wheel adjuster. The secondary shoe's lining leading edge bites into the drum and tries to rotate, just like the primary shoe. Since the shoes cannot rotate, they wedge themselves into the drum. The rotating torque from the shoes increases the braking force applied by the wheel cylinder. Because of this wedging action, the design is called a duo-servo, as opposed to a single-servo design where the wheel cylinder pressure alone is the source of braking force.

The torque from the brake shoes is transferred through the backing plate to the axle flange. Brake adjustments are automatic and occur during reverse brake applications except, on the Police Package model vehicles which adjust in the forward brake application.

And from Speeder in 2006
JB1 BRAKE, MANUAL, DISC/DRUM, 4300 LBS
JB3 BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 4600 LBS
JB5 BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6400 LBS
JB6 BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 7200 LBS
JB7 BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 8400 L85
JB8 8RAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 10000 LBS
JB9 Brakes, Light-Weight DISC/DISC

JC4 BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 5600 LBS
JC7 BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 12000 LBS
JCB BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DISC, 20000 LBS
JD3 BRAKE, HYD POWER, DISC/DRUM
JD5 BRAKE, DUAL POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6400 LBS
JD6 BRAKE, HYD POWER, DISC/DRUM, 7200 LBS
JD7 BRAKE, HYD POWER, DISC/DRUM, 8400 LBS

Not a bad idea using the 10.5". its strong, Steve with his Ramjet 502/nitrous 2000 Tahoe Limited was seeing evidence of case flexing on his his n9.5" semi float. I saw a guy break an axle on a 1991 454SS, again 9.5" SF at the drags, he re-axled with aftermarket.
Myself personally and the power levels I'd play with, a 9.5" along with an aftermarket carrier would be more than enough. Wheelhop kills driveline parts. The shock load is much much higher than any normal application of power.

peace
Hog

OK, Time for an update. As i posted back in January(i think) i placed the order for the edelbrock pro flo XT EFI intake and well long story short it kept getting put on longer and longer backorder from edelbrock. I had originally wanted the oval port version but it had been discontinued so i was gonna make the rec port version work. Well a seen a post on edelbrocks forum from a guy who had bought the complete EFI oval port kit for like 5 grand and was now upgrading to some rec port heads and the rec port intake and had waited over 6 months to get a rec port intake from edelbrock, so i bought his oval port version that had only been bolted down and never ran for 400 shipped and got it today!

Ok, time for an update, I found out that the standard height 42lB Lucas injectors i had wont work with this intake after all so i posted them for sale on LS1Tech.com and within a few days sold them for 185 shipped, and turned around a bought a set of FAST 50lb LS3 injectors that had only been ran a few thousand miles for 175 shipped and they fit with the fuel rails bolted into the top mounting holes, so all is good there.

I finally had some time to finish getting the Big Block disassembled of all the old parts i don't need, exhaust manifolds, water pump plugs and wires. Also pulled the valve covers and was very pleasantly surprised to find that it is very clean, no buildup at all and def not a 90K miles engine but the heads could have been redone at some point. Will be pulling the heads to get all the valvetrain parts swapped this week and get a look at the pistons and bores. I did find out that i had ordered the wrong ARP rocker studs, my Gen 6 engine had non adjustable factory rockers and the threads in the heads is 3/8-16 not 7/16 like the older engines, so im sending back the studs i bought to exchange them for the correct ones which cost 30 bucks more--of course! LOL

I'm very jealous of that manifold! I, too, have looked for one in the past.

I'm very jealous of that manifold! I, too, have looked for one in the past.

Yes, like i said they discontinued the Oval Port version about a year and a half ago, so i ordered the rectangle port version that i have found out is now discontinued as well, as they are redesigning it for the Pro-Flo 3 system they have coming out soon. This info was direct from Edelbrock.

I got extremely lucky and found this oval port so yeah im super stoked. Should make some good power!!

Ok, time for another update. finally got off my ass and got my garage some what cleaned and junk thrown away and i popped the heads off the 454 yesterday and i got to say im having my doubts as to this engine actually having 90K miles as was told to me, the heads were super clean inside, no buildup at all and the tops of the bores just have your normal carbon buildup. I can still see the cross hatches in the cylinders and there is very very little buildup on the tops of the pistons. I'm kinda wondering if this thing had been rebuilt recently but who knows. Ill snap a few pics when i get home.

Does anyone with experience with these engines know if its worth the time and expense to install bigger valves? from what Ive gathered the stock valves are 2.06/1.72 and was thinking about maybe going to 2.19/1.88 but with the small 100CC chambers will the larger valves get shrouded and cause more harm then good?

I'm just thinking about doing as much to the stock vortec heads that will actually improve flow while i have the chance. I will be port matching the heads and intake, at the very least im gonna get a good 5 angle valve job even if i keep the stock valves and do some bowl blending and remove and casting flash and will be opening up and port matching the exhaust to the 1 3/4 headers as well.

Then i read that they have similar issues that the SBC vortec heads have with retainer to guide clearance and need to be machined down, with the ZZ502 cam and the 1.72 roller tip rockers i have my lift will be .533/.550 will i need to get them cut down or will i be good? Guess ill def need to measure that to be sure!

But thought it was interesting to compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UaXhfbAMF0

Late to the party.

But thought it was interesting to compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UaXhfbAMF0

Thats Awesome!

Reply to topic Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9