RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
I need a new router
Post I need a new router 
I need a new router. The ATT one I have only has a 2.4ghz channel and significantly struggles casting from device to TV. Range also blows. anyone used the Netgear Nighthawks? I like the tri-band because it'll bridge the bands into one SSID but good lord is it expensive. Though I don't think I have any devices other than an old iPod that wouldn't run on 5ghz or above. Constant load maxes out at two streaming devices and two or three handhelds connected, video NVR and a couple external cloud HDD on the LAN side.

I"m not a fan of the Netgear routers because of some quirks with how they handle their firewall. I ended up with an ASUS AC router, forgot what model, but dual core and it's been holding up fine. Once I locked down the router, I realized the security was a little stiffer than the Linksys I had before that. Had to do a little more fine tuning to get all the gadgets to work both inside and outside the network, but it's working good now. Some devices I have on the 5Ghz, while others I have on the 2.4Ghz. I'm about 4 firmware versions behind, but the last two firmware versions I tried, had issues with the WIFI where it would drop enough to annoy me so I've stuck with the current version. I have not yet tried the newest version. Other than that, the new routers got me back 20mbps in speed over the old Linksys. Comcast just upped the speed another 25mpbs, started charging more and added data caps. Mad To be seen if all the cable laying for ATT will be any better than Comcast when they are done in my neighborhood.

Get on the mailing list for newegg and the routers come and go often at a good price. I picked up two refurbs of the asus with one as a backup. Sold the second to my aunt since the one I have has been running fine. I will probably sell this one to another aunt who just got high speed internet and her old linksys is not getting the speed she is paying for and pick up another Asus.

Edit: Forgot to add, after you get your router, consider changing the ATT router to unsupported 'bridge mode' and it will free up some of the processing so that you can stream better. All bridge mode does is link you to their network and you can setup the router to your liking. If you ever need service, I assure you that the first thing the first level folks will want to do it put it back to standard when there is absolutely no need to. They are just running through their troubleshooting steps and will hang up on you when you call their bluff. Like telling me my network card was bad when I used it in the office before leaving. It was actually their network card in the box that was bad, not mine, but getting them to get someone out there was an exercise in patience.

I use a cisco RV180 (wired and wireless). Great security and support if necessary. Easy to set up too. Got them from amazon.....

There are few things I hate more than manufactures who will sell a piece of hardware and refuse to update the firmware, or continue to support it in general.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C9-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I think this is the direction I'm going to go.

Those Cisco routers are nice but damn are they expensive!

They are a little pricey but the support is second to none. I would like to hear what you think about your choice once it's up and running. Looks good!

Compare the speed tests between the old and the new. Always entertaining. Razz That price is about average for the speeds listed, so you should be fine.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1