RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
GMT400 Tail Light Sockets Burning Out
Post GMT400 Tail Light Sockets Burning Out 
I know this is a common issue, the terminals burnig out and the socket assembly being replaced, but was there ever a permanent fix found for this problem? Did GM or anyone else come out with a revised socket assembly? I'm not wanting to just put another in there to burn out again later. Was thinking of converting to LEDs to prevent this in the future if no other fix is available.

I don't think there was, since replacing the circuit board normally lasts a few years. Going LED would fix the problem though.

Yeah, that's what I figured. GM isn't too concerned about righting any of their numerous wrongs on these GMT400 trucks. I like the look and overall design of this vintage, having both a 96 pickup and a 99 Tahoe under my tutelage, but I've been working on this Tahoe for the last 6 weeks straight and spent the 6 weeks prior to that lining up all the parts. So, I've spent the last three months essentially whipping this truck back into shape. It would be in immaculate condition were it not for all of GM's design flaws from the 90s inherent to these trucks. Burnout has definitely set in and it's time to shelve this project for a while. I've spent practically all of this time doing nothing but addressing what were simply poor design decisions on GM's part, everything from the master cylinder swap, intake manifold gaskets, poppet valves, vibrating fuel gauge, leaking front axle vent, etc., and now these tail light sockets. Sick of reverse engineering their mistakes.

Havle looked into SuperBrightLEDs and they seem to have direct plugin replacement bulbs. Will be looking further into that.

vibrating fuel gauge,.

Are you happy about the way your gauge is working now? Cause someone @ FSC did the silicone injection and is really happy with the results...

JR96CK wrote:
vibrating fuel gauge,.

Are you happy about the way your gauge is working now? Cause someone @ FSC did the silicone injection and is really happy with the results...

Actually, I haven;t gotten around to doing anything with the gauge which is actually in the truck. I guess I was just referring (in the earlier post) to all that reverse engineering of the PWM gauge control I've done over the past 1-2 years. Still irritates me that they opted to go the way they did on that whole design.

Having now adequately pissed and moaned enough to get the frustration out of my system, I was just looking in the LMC truck catalog. They say the 88-89 trucks used the round "bayonet" style bulbs (read: more contact surface area I would think) and the later years use the "wedge" base we are all familar with here. Both assemblies use the same tail light lense, so it would be a direct swap. I'm wondering if this isn't an easy solution... retro-fitting the older bayonet style bulb in place of the wedge style so as to increase the size of the contacts.

Now now lets not go picking on the GMT400 problems let us not forget the GMT800 is also plauged I own both ask me how I know

Now now lets not go picking on the GMT400 problems let us not forget the GMT800 is also plauged I own both ask me how I know

Yeah, just gotta vent sometimes. Laughing

Define older. I had to replace the tail light control boards on my 96 Tahoe due to the melting problem. However, I don't remember what style of bulbs it had.

Older=Speeder

Define older. I had to replace the tail light control boards on my 96 Tahoe due to the melting problem. However, I don't remember what style of bulbs it had.

Older as in the 88-89 round-base bulbs as opposed to the wedge-base bulbs used from 90 forward.

Heh heh... and there it was right in your post too. Guess I can't put off those glasses much longer. Mad Yuck

Older=Speeder

"Heh heh... and there it was right in your post too. Guess I can't put off those glasses much longer."

therefore, you are .......

Laughing Laughing

And even better, I'm right in there with you!!

Heh heh... and there it was right in your post too. Guess I can't put off those glasses much longer. Mad Yuck

Haha... it's all good. Laughing

Found an 88 model truck in the salvage yard today. Sure enough....

And for reference, here is the assembly on the 99 Tahoe. I can personally verify that my 96 pickup uses this same style "blade" terminal as well:

I would think the larger surface area of the terminals and the contact area on the round bulb would be the better design of the two.

Left Side: 16507053

Right Side: 16507051

Of course, both are listed as not available. They are superceded by the blade type design.

That figures.

There's more than one way to skin a cat though. I'm not done.

Iv always greased my bulbs good and never had a problem. Mine quit working and I cleaned them really good and greased a new bulb and put in and its worked ever since and that was a couple years ago. The old bulb still worked when hooked to a battery just the contacts where burnt on it.

I don't think there was, since replacing the circuit board led bulbs normally lasts a few years. Going LED would fix the problem though.

From where I could get these led lights

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1