RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
need help building more power for towing in my 2000 k3500
Post need help building more power for towing in my 2000 k3500 
Can anyone give me some advise. I have a 2000 k3500 crew cab long bed with the 7.4 and I want to get better power for towing and pulling hills. I was thinking about installing a cam. What cam would you recommend. Is it as simple as installing the cam and new valve springs or is there more I have to get to install with the cam. Also do I need to reprogram the computer in my truck. Also thinkiing about installing headers,throttle body spacer anything to help with more power and hopefully a little better fuel milage.Any help would be much appreciated

Just tuning alone will help tremendously. I have a 2000 7.4L in my truck now. I drive it in the k3500 it was in before I pulled the driveterrain out and it was just weak and sad. I put a compcams cam and matching valve springs, keepers, retainers, and rotator eliminators under the springs and converted to an 0411 ECM and tuned it myself it was VERY noticeable power and torque difference. I am happy with it but have the bug wanting more power so I changed the
Rear gear ratio and bought a used whipple for it.
When I get some time I will try to find my posting on here later tonight
With what cam and springs/push rods, etc you would need and post up on here for ya.
I used a downloadable program from compcams to put all the info in and it gave me choices of 2 or 3 different cams for what range I wanted Power which was 1000-5500 range

the cam and parts I installed are pictured in this thread

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1