RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 6 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Officially Swapping in a LS & 4l80e in my 99 GMT 400 4x4 Tah
L92's have square intake ports as opposed to catherderal ports on the 317/243/799's. You will need to run a different intake manifold like one from the newer escalades/denali's/vette's with the 6.2L or go aftermarket. L92 heads also use different rocker arms on the intake valves so you wont be able to reuse your old ones.

Good to know.

The Ultimate Chevrolet LS Cylinder Head Test
The Even More Ultimate LS Cylinder Head Test

Last edited by CrazyHoe on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
The lines are as if it has the external cooler they are in front of the radiator. This will break 2 of the lines, one from the trans to the aux cooler and one from the aux to the radiator. The rad to trans line MAY be OK unless the rad is also damaged. Either way though, the lines will be different from a GMT400 to a GMT800/900. Check with the dealer, as I say you may be able to get new lines for a reasonable price. If you wind up splicing, don't make the same mistake I did. I cut mine where I thought they would work, wound up cutting them in a place that a splice would not last long. I don't remember what the problem would have been but I was not happy about it after I saw what the interference was. Wound up just buying the new lines from the dealer and was shocked at how cheap they were for new, correct factory lines. I don't know how it'll be installing new lines on a GMT400, but it was pretty easy to install the new lines in my GMT800 4x4 with the engine in place.

My apologies to the Ms. , you do know I was kidding. Smile

For once I was never saw it as offensive, but you are right. Every dollar kinda has to be accounted for. When I was younger and money was tight...I found ways to make it. Even by not eating lol!

I am almost positive that my truck doesn't have the built in oil cooler. So a new rad will be in order. Also looking into the Avalanche Fans. Guys know any place of a cheap decent radiator...better off getting it from Advanced Auto? (What year, make and model should I strive for?

So no matter what heads I choose to have, I will have to get a new UIM manifold. Right?

With cathederal port heads (example: 317/243/799) you can use the stock intake manifold that comes with the LQ4. If you want to upgrade later to a 90mm intake, you can go with the TBSS/gmt900 intake.

Id just get a stock rad for heavy duty cooling itll have the oil cooler lines built in. However you can buy a plate that bolts on the LS pan that will bypass it

Id just get a stock rad for heavy duty cooling itll have the oil cooler lines built in. However you can buy a plate that bolts on the LS pan that will bypass it

Ok sounds fair with the radiator. What year...should I be getting one for 00 2500 HD pick up? Same as the motor so it all bolts up?

If you are going to go with the Avalanche fans you will want a radiator with a core large enough for the shroud to fit right. If you want to get a GMT800 radiator then the one for the 2006 or 2007 classic will be the way to go as they come with the electric fans. Or, the GMT400s come with a wide rad option as well. This way the fans will be able to pull across an entire core rather than the core plus the tanks. You can check with Rock Auto for the radiator, but due to the size and fragility rads are something I prefer to get locally.

No matter what said of heads I get I have to upgrade to the 90mm intake...correct?

I can not copy and paste bc I am at work...but will this work?

Ebay item #: 220956260849

just seems to good to be true, thats why I ask

It has a broken fuel rail attachement, no fuel rail, no map, will fit the 09-11 4.8, 5.3 and other cathedral port style Gen III cylinder heads.

Again, why don't you run with what you have for now, and then get the AFRs, blower and intake when you're ready.

The cams are easy to swap on ls engines by the way.

...Again, why don't you run with what you have for now, and then get the AFRs, blower and intake when you're ready...

+1, get the hardest part completed with any bugs worked out & then start upgrading & modding as fund$ permit.

Just my .02ยข

How to Swap GM LS-Series Engines Into Almost Anything

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Jnx88oWcpQAC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=chevy+1998+crank+pulley+diameter+c/k&source=bl&ots=kUXFdjWOd3&sig=YUF6g-zryIPRLamO4TFfQagNXgE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=S_M_T_HuIIidgQeNi8WRCA&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=chevy%201998%20crank%20pulley%20diameter%20c%2Fk&f=false

Honestly want to do as much as I can while the motor is out...easier for me. I'm 5'6, when I do a tune up I disappear into my bay.

I am dissassembling the motor, painting it and re-doing every gasket. Might as well put back something better. If I did not have to shell out money for a mattress, I would have a blower on there already.

I have yet to sell my PSC-1, so right now my budget it heads, cam, intake, headers, exhaust, shift, e-fans, radiator.

Honestly I'm 5'6, when I do a tune up I disappear into my bay.

Take the front wheels off and lower it... You'll feel 6.0ft tall...

foreverfalcon40 wrote:
Honestly I'm 5'6, when I do a tune up I disappear into my bay.

Take the front wheels off and lower it... You'll feel 6.0ft tall...

Lol, at work I drag around a stepping stool like Lioness drags around his blanket.

How to Swap GM LS-Series Engines Into Almost Anything

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Jnx88oWcpQAC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=chevy+1998+crank+pulley+diameter+c/k&source=bl&ots=kUXFdjWOd3&sig=YUF6g-zryIPRLamO4TFfQagNXgE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=S_M_T_HuIIidgQeNi8WRCA&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=chevy%201998%20crank%20pulley%20diameter%20c%2Fk&f=false

I know it would be good reading, not in the budget right now Smile

Honestly I am not touching the wiring...my buddy is going to help me with the swap exspecially building the harness.

Ok, will a manifold from A 06 gto LS2 bolt on no problem at all?

Just gave the guy a deposit today so its off to order goodies.

I am just going to go with Radiator that comes with the fans already. What vehicle should I say it is from? If I start using gmt8xx guy at advanced going to look at me with ten heads.

Overkill?

http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1513117-afr-225-heads.html

What ARP head kit will fit...there a few kinds...do I need HEX or not? I can't get head studs till I pick out a set of heads?

this will shift kit will do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSGO-4L80E-HD2-TRANSMISSION-SHIFT-KIT-91-UP-/320326264670?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4a94eee75e

This is what I got:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4L80E-HD2/

Overkill?

They flow comparable to the L92s I posted which have way bigger ports. For 1800 and compatible to what you have, you know what to do...

foreverfalcon40 wrote:

Overkill?

They flow comparable to the L92s I posted which have way bigger ports. For 1800 and compatible to what you have, you know what to do...

O eff that then. L92's...if you come across a set or know some selling a set let me know!

What about intake and IUM?

Reply to topic Page 6 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next