RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 5 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Officially Swapping in a LS & 4l80e in my 99 GMT 400 4x4 Tah
Post Re: Headers... 
foreverfalcon40 wrote:
bai78 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220523887166&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

These are the ones I'm putting on my 6.0. I can't say how the fitament or clearance would be in a GMT400 body/frame though.

Any GMT800 style headers will fit, no special swap headers?

Yes, these will fit that engine block & even come fitted with EGR if you choose to keep it. Either reuse the stock header gaskets or just buy a new stock set from the dealer.....don't waste your time with the ones that come in the box.

Double check the header bolts & see if any are snapped off. That's a normal issue with the Gen III.

Post OBX headers... 
Arch: I should've clarified that those headers will be going on my GMT800 Denali XL with the mp112. IIRC, these are 1 3/4 primaries with 3" od collectors. The majority of the guys on pt.net have successfully used these as an alternative to LPP, ARH, Kooks, & just about every other high dollar set out there with positive results.

Also, if you noticed on the bid there's an offer button. I got mine shipped for just a bit more than the stated sale price!

so the 6.0 bottom end of this truck is scrap heap. i need an 03 or newer? will the 4l80e in this truck bolt up to the newer motor? I think i still might buy it just for the sake of having a complete donor to pick from.

The link I posted swapping into TBIā„¢ has baffled me. If I were not to take this truck...what could I buy from it?

Transmission
Engine Harness
ECU

and?

There's really nothing wrong with going with this option.

Piston slap, with a blower on there no bueno

Buy the truck! You'll have cable TB and all the parts you need. Just the rear axle is worth 500-1000, You'll make money if you part it, and then, buy a 2004+ engine if you whish, better intake, better everything.

I did a search on "best year for lq4" and it's funny how I ended up in Mustang forums...

99-00 longer crank, 2002+ is reported having better rod bolts, 2003 coated pistons to reduce slap, full floating wrist pins in 2004. So, the later the engine, the better it will be.

Last edited by CrazyHoe on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piston slap when cold, did you listen to it? Not all had the problem. GM went to looser tolerance to minimize assembly issue but because of tolerances variation, some had a good combination of parts.

Post Assess..... 
Check it out first BEFORE dismissing the truck.

THe vans still had cable throttles up through 2005 IIRC. That is what I have been looking for any way. I have a 2002 LS1 and it has the piston slap when cold. Other than being annoying I havent seen any detrimental effects and have not heard of an engine failing due to such.

TJ

Post Saw the truck 
Wouldn't a blower make piston slap worse?

EDIT

UPDATE:

He bought the car at an auction...It has Autobody shop logos on it. "Story" behind it is that the shop was in NYC and it got into an accident. NYPD impounded it and the body shop never picked it up. He sold few items off the truck already...The lowest he will go is 1,700.
I made him fire up the motor...it ran like a gem but very hard to hear the piston slap due to the condition of the vehicle an aftermarket dual exhaust. Interior is completely gutted except for the dash board. Buying the truck at $1,700 leaves very little meat on the bone for me!

He can't gurantee the transmission so I am going to offer him 1,000 for the motor, harness, ecu, and transmission. Anything Else I need?
I am also going to call a few local yards again see just how low I can get 2wd 80e or a low mileage 03 or newer 6.0.

This guy new his shit...he has done a few LS swaps in his day...he had another wreck behind it. This is not his first rodeo Sad

the 4l80e looks like it has tranny cooler...but shot to shit bc of the accident. Will the tranny cooler and lines from my 60e bolt up?

Ordered a felpro complete engine kit
4l80e filter and gasket

What is the best shift kit for the 80e?
What is a good cam that is boost friendly...500-600hp
With the cam will I need rockers etc and different valve covers for clearence...
AFR heads are the best heads out there...any other options...I should be looking for.

I really can't go the AFR route now Sad The Ms. complainging of her back and hips hurting...b/c of the mattress. Can't believe how freaking exspensive these things are. Cost more then my truck did registered!

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-parts-classifieds-23/comp-cam-799-heads-918-springs-497110/#post4869698

are the better flowing heads?

What about better flowing intake...from a vette or camaro?

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-parts-classifieds-23/comp-cam-799-heads-918-springs-497110/#post4869698

are the better flowing heads?

What about better flowing intake...from a vette or camaro?

- The 243/799 casting heads flow a tiny bit more than the 317's that are on '01 up 6.0L's but have a smaller cc and will give a nice bump in compression.

- TBSS or gmt900 90mm intake manifold is a nice upgrade over stock and are relitivily inexpesive compared to a FAST LSXRT intake.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/tbss-intake-99-02-a-459296/
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/before-after-tbss-intake-dyno-finally-455536/
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/fast-lsxrt-intake-dyno-results-5-3l-464009/
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/lsx_engine/1102gmhtp_fast_lsxrt_intake_manifold_upgrade/viewall.html

- Cam: I've seen a good number from the magnacharger guys that run the Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam. It is a little bit bigger than the Ls6 cam but still a small cam. It sound pretty tame and behaves well. A guy around here had this cam in his magnacharged 5.3L and put down 625 rwhp with a 75 shot I think. Ran 11.3 in the 1/4mile in a z71 ECSB. Another guy I used to go to the track with has a LQ4 with the same GT2-3 cam, stock 317 heads and a magnacharger and it put down 550rwhp.

- Stock rockers and valve covers are fine. Dont bother changing.

On the cam... are you putting a supercharger on now or later? If later, don't get a blower cam now, get one for an N/A engine. You'll be happier.

The trans cooling lines will not bolt up directly. The cooling lines will plug in, but the ports on the 80 are about 6-8 inches further back than on the 60. You can cut the existing lines and extend them, but before that I suggest that you check in on the cost of new lines. Those trucks come with a 4L80E, so you may be able to get the lines new. When I put a 4L80E in my truck I was able to get a new set for about 50 bucks total for all three lines needed to install a cooler on my truck. You may still be able to get the same lines from the dealer for a similar price.

I also don't think I'd worry about a shift kit at this point. They are pretty stout as is, and since money is a concern right now... you can tighten the shifting up some with the programmer. Boost shift pressure up a bit and turn the shift speed down to 0 milliseconds and it'll shift harder and faster than stock. Later on when it's blower time you can get the trans redone with the shift kit and I'd suggest going with that low gear kit like I went with in mine. My 4L80E shifts almost exactly like a 4L60E RPM-wise, I just don't have to worry about the trans coming apart taking off gently from a stop in a school zone.

..... I just don't have to worry about the trans coming apart taking off gently from a stop in a school zone.

That's exactly what happened to my built 4Lpos60e!!! Coincidence? I think not: they really are shitty...

Tell the Ms. she needs to spend less time sleeping and more time working.
That will solve 2 problems:
1- No more back problems
2- Mo money for your toys.

Yes, I am single.. loll

So keep what you have now untill you're ready for the sc. If you have the sc and don't have the money for the heads, why not go for a set of used L92s. They should be more boost friendly and flow plenty.

I am sorry...mean money is tight in a sense of no AFR heads or a blower. If I get AFR heads...there will no room for an intake. Honestly I want 500-600 hp. The AFR heads will ago above and beyond...maybe net a little more then my goal. Hrm

I really do plan on a S/C just need to get my old one sold. Have it shipped to work. I know I maybe happier with a N/A cam, just don't want to crack it all open again. I don't like cam swaps to me they are in PITA.

I can see why you are single!
She does work alot...she is a special ed teacher (thats why we get along so well), she also tutors (before and after school) and does the mourning programs. She also does pay most of the bills. I asked her if the sectional we have is comfortable all the time...end of that conversation was to go sleep on that Smile

Post a link to l92'S...the the same as alum 317cc?

He is giving the me the transmission lines...but the truck was hit in the front...cooler is mashed to shit and dangling around...I am asssumin the lines are fucked.

Going to hit a junkyard for a cooler...also he stated that the motor is oil is cooled via the radiator. Need to get a new rad now too?

My apologies to the Ms. , you do know I was kidding. Smile

L92's have square intake ports as opposed to catherderal ports on the 317/243/799's. You will need to run a different intake manifold like one from the newer escalades/denali's/vette's with the 6.2L or go aftermarket. L92 heads also use different rocker arms on the intake valves so you wont be able to reuse your old ones.

Also from what I've seen, a good cheap stock cam for boosted L92's is the LS9 cam. Part#12638427. 211/230 .558/.552 122.5. Can be had for $120 shipped at gmpartsdirect.

Last edited by 99bluetahoe on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic Page 5 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next