RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Anyone live in CO? Thinking of moving.
Post Anyone live in CO? Thinking of moving. 
Well, not really thinking anymore...more like planning.

Los Angeles is ridiculous. I can't afford a home and I will never be able to. I can't even afford the interest payments on a house, let alone ever own it myself, or even own 1% of it. The market is way above what people can really afford, but with low interest, comes low payments. Our generaton is not building any equity. We can't afford it!

With that said, CO is much cheaper than los angeles. About 66% cheaper for housing. Yes, 66%. Typical 1 bedroom goes for $1,200/mo. here in the ghetto. Typical 1 bedroom there for about $450.

My girlfriend and almost all of my family is tired of the high prices of the Republic of CA.

Anybody live in CO? Thinking south of Denver...Co Springs.

Target date is 2007-2008 move.

Any ideas, opinions, etc.?

Post I can hook you up 
with 34 acres in Arkansas, just 7 grand an acre, total 238,000. The further south you go, the cheaper it gets out there. You just have to find a way to make a living, no jobs out there. Asking price for land just 5-6 miles north of mine is 30 grand per lot. Houses in town go for 15 grand in the ghetto to 500K for the huge spreads with huge houses. A typical 3br in a decent neighborhood can be had for 80-120 grand. The midwest is the only place to live IMO. I don't know about Colorado, the snow gets pretty deep out there. And, the air is thinner there, octane is 85, 87 and 89 there. It takes a while to get acclimated as well, strenuous activities will wind you a lot sooner for about 2 months as I understand it.

This is a great resource for finding property as well.

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/SearchOptions.asp?typ=1%2C+2%2C+3%2C+4%2C+5%2C+6%2C+7&mlsttl=&frm=bymap&pgnum=1&mls=xmls&lnksrc=RDC-NAV-0016&js=on&target=&ct=&st=&zp=&mnprice=0&mxprice=99999999&mnbed=0&mnbath=0&poe=realtor

BTW, I love the edit feature on this board, I always remember something I want to add right after pushing the button.

Why is the gas 85 octane there? Can cars run on 85 octane? Is it because of the air density?

I can find work in Colorado I think. With a payment of less than $1,000/mo I can easily handle it.

Planning a trip for summer to check on summer jobs, summer traffic, summer weather.

Also have a trip scheduled for winter. Going to drive a rented 4x4 up there during the winter and go to Aspen.

I should know everything I need to know by the end of this year.

On Arkansas: Too far East. Im a Westerner. CO is far East to me, and I'm seriously planning a move. Besides, land is cheaper in CO. Friend bought 12 acres for 60 grand. 5g per acre. They are selling for 7,000 per acre now (Same you are asking).

I can get a fully built 2001 house on .25 acres for $109k. I can get a 1986 house on 2 acres for 150k. I'm moving...!

Post colorado 
Colorado is beautiful-especially as the seasons change. Winters on the front range are not that bad-worst snow this year was about 8" in northern part. Economy seems slow right now,and yes, our regular unleaded is 85 due to an engines requirement for octane reduces as altitude increases. Octanes are 85,87,and 91 with some stations carrying 93 premium. My Radix enhances Avalanche runs great on 91! Can you say 80 mph on the mountain passes in overdrive with 5 guys and snowbaord gear!!!!!!!!!! Come give it a look!

I had a very good time on my trip to CO. I was in the denver, co springs area. Very beautiful area. Traffic was about as bad as any large city.

4cd-fed. If you would please take the time, register your name and stop being a guest! This way I can PM (Private message) you, as well as contact you easier. Thanks for the tips.

I am planning on going out this summer and possibly picking up a piece of property. Maybe I will put a shed and a mobile home (read: office and garage space) and get working. I think I have a small idea of how this will work out.

I don't think it should be too hard to pay on a $100,000 house. Can't be any worse than working 28 days a month 10 hours a day and still not having enough $$ to pay the bills.

4cd-fed. If you would please take the time, register your name and stop being a guest!

Damn chester calm down now.

Not a bad idea and I may do the same if housing prices don't go down soon. Another problem with Kalifornia is that businesses can't bring people in from out of state. Want to hire an engineer from Georgia who's making $90k now? Chances are his wife doesn't work and he lives like a King out there on a large plot of land in a nice house. Upping that to $120 and moving him to the People's Republic is still going to be a substantial lifestyle downgrade.

I love this place...born here, grew up here, and moved right back after living in Illinois from 1996-2001. But this place is starting to suck.

Still hope that the bottom falls out of the market and we all get to pick up foreclosed houses on the cheap. I still think its going to happen....every indicator except real estate agents points right at it.

I've been living in Orange County California since the 1970's, and I'm also ready to move somewhere else, like Colorado or Wyoming. Indeed, the housing prices are ridiculous here and the real estate bubble will collapse soon. It's similar to the tulip craze in Holland (interesting economic pyramids and collapses keep repeating throughout history).

Just in the past few years, so many outsiders have moved into the LA / Orange County area, that traffic congestion is unbearable. There's not enough room to squeeze everyone onto the roads and freeways but people keep moving here anyway.

The Denver, Colorado area and surrounding regions are beautiful. Right now it is a great place to live. However if you want to consider even longer term, think about moving somewhere even less discovered, such as Wyoming or Salt Lake City Utah. In 10 years even Denver will start growing faster than the infrastructure can keep up, so the best investment is to move somewhere a few hundred miles away from the places that are hot today.

Dan

Post One thing on Colorado 
Make sure you know who owns the water rights to the property, and that any land you get comes with water rights. If they don't make sure that you have public utility water coming to the place. I've heard many stories about people buying land for cheap out there with dreams of running cattle, just to find that they can't drill for water and use it anywhere but INSIDE the house. No washing the car outside, no garden, no water to the garage or barn or anything. I'm sure our Colorado residents can elaborate or correct this, but this is what I've heard on the area.

You can only use a specific amount of gallons per month from your well. They don't want you tapping a well and running a cattle feed farm. This would hamper your neighbors ability to use water, etc. I know someone who lives there with a well and somehow the usage is regulated. I will ask.

I've been living in Orange County California since the 1970's, and I'm also ready to move somewhere else, like Colorado or Wyoming. Indeed, the housing prices are ridiculous here and the real estate bubble will collapse soon. It's similar to the tulip craze in Holland (interesting economic pyramids and collapses keep repeating throughout history).

Just in the past few years, so many outsiders have moved into the LA / Orange County area, that traffic congestion is unbearable. There's not enough room to squeeze everyone onto the roads and freeways but people keep moving here anyway.

The Denver, Colorado area and surrounding regions are beautiful. Right now it is a great place to live. However if you want to consider even longer term, think about moving somewhere even less discovered, such as Wyoming or Salt Lake City Utah. In 10 years even Denver will start growing faster than the infrastructure can keep up, so the best investment is to move somewhere a few hundred miles away from the places that are hot today.

Dan

I wonder if he ever did

I'm still in OC because of my aerospace job, and almost transferred to Colorado Springs last summer. The downside to Colorado on the front range is the water shortage just like others mentioned. Still would like to get a vacation house somewhere deeper inside Colorado in the mountains, like maybe near Gunnison (near Crested Butte) or Basalt (not too far from Aspen).

I'm still in OC because of my aerospace job, and almost transferred to Colorado Springs last summer. The downside to Colorado on the front range is the water shortage just like others mentioned. Still would like to get a vacation house somewhere deeper inside Colorado in the mountains, like maybe near Gunnison (near Crested Butte) or Basalt (not too far from Aspen).

Holy crap!
In all the time I've been hangin' out here...I think this is the first post I've seen you make Very Happy

It's the third I've seen him make, the other two had something to do with major board failure.

I moved from Kansas to Colorado. I love the weather and outdoor activities. I got tired of the humidity in KS. People forget that beyond the Eastern slope it is a desert. Denver, COS, etc. would be like living in Arizona, but cooler. I love it and am half way between Denver and COS.

Only thing is I have to keep my truck and hot rod titled, registered, and insured in Kansas due to the smog sniffers out here. The thought has crossed my mind to buy some worthless desert land in Southeast Colorado and register my vehicles there. It gets tricky if/when I get stopped by a cop and having a Kansas DL and driving my Colorado registered grocery getter.

TJ

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1