Trailer hitch, anyone?

Anything off-topic

Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, Dev

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Trailer hitch, anyone?

Post by Speeder »

I've been looking for a picture of a Hidden Hitch installed on a Silverado, so far I've either seen just the hitch, pics where the hitch is hidden by shadows, or pics that are too small to see the hitch. Anyone have one, and have a decent pic to see where it sits under the bumper and how much is seen? Wanting a Class 3, at least.

Or better yet, a Curt or a Street Scene hitch. Looks like the Street Scene might be the one, provided it can work with a factory bumper and doesn't require a roll pan.

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

After renting trucks from U-Haul, I don't trust anything with their name on it. Not even their cardboard boxes.

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

Fine, first you ruined GM by refusing to buy any new vehicles from them. And now, you're going after U-Haul. :)

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Funny. GM simply reaped what they sowed. Most companies that do me wrong wind up going down. I'm one of those karma generators, piss me off and eventally, no matter how big or powerful you are, you're going down. Ford pissed me off in 1994 over a transmission in my 93 Cougar 302, but made me happy by generating funding on the stock market. As a result they almost went bankrupt, but were saved in the end. Chrysler has always pissed me off simply by existing, and as a result they have gone bankrupt twice in the last 25 years or so, and will continue to live on the edge of bankruptcy forever. I so decree. Wal-Mart's been pissing me off lately, so watch for them to fail in the next 10 years. U-Haul pissed me off years ago when I was moving from Maryland to Arkansas, and the truck I rented first would not start, then overheated halfway home resulting in having to stop for repairs, which resulted in me not making my hotel and having to sleep in the Cougar with my wife and kids at a truck stop since no other hotels had beds available within 200 miles of where I was.

I have the power, and I use it for my own amusement.

Jim21804

Post by Jim21804 »

Several years ago a friend of mine moved using a double axle UHaul trailer behiing his Taurus wagon. He went to UHaul who installed the hitch on his car and rented him the trailer. As soon as he got on the interstate and went downhill the trailer started "pushing" the car down the hill. This causes the back of the car to swing side to side. The natural tendency is to slow down which make the situation worse. He didn't realize that he needed to speed up so the car would go back to "towing" the trailer. An intimitating move when you are already out of control at 60 MPH. The final outcome was the car and trailer in the median with the trailer on its side splayed open with his belongings scattered all over the place and the hitch, bumper, and hatchback torn off the car. UHaul wanted him to pay for the trailer and he countered that they advertise that they are the "experts in moving" and that they installed the hitch and rented him a trailer too heavy for his car to handle. The "experts" sent an amateur out with an unsafe configuration. In the end, UHaul paided to repair the car, paid for his lost belongings, and did not try to collect for the trailer.
Jim

endo

Post by endo »

Jim21804 wrote:Several years ago a friend of mine moved using a double axle UHaul trailer behiing his Taurus wagon. He went to UHaul who installed the hitch on his car and rented him the trailer. As soon as he got on the interstate and went downhill the trailer started "pushing" the car down the hill. This causes the back of the car to swing side to side. The natural tendency is to slow down which make the situation worse. He didn't realize that he needed to speed up so the car would go back to "towing" the trailer. An intimitating move when you are already out of control at 60 MPH. The final outcome was the car and trailer in the median with the trailer on its side splayed open with his belongings scattered all over the place and the hitch, bumper, and hatchback torn off the car. UHaul wanted him to pay for the trailer and he countered that they advertise that they are the "experts in moving" and that they installed the hitch and rented him a trailer too heavy for his car to handle. The "experts" sent an amateur out with an unsafe configuration. In the end, UHaul paided to repair the car, paid for his lost belongings, and did not try to collect for the trailer.
Jim
LOL, exactly like so many other stories about this company. Hate using them but they're the only game in town for a lot of items.

Speeder, does the truck not have a hitch, or do you want a different one? If it doesn't have one, try grabbing a stock hitch off Craigslist, they tend to be $75 or less, and have a much lower profile than the aftermarket stuff.

Rob_B

Post by Rob_B »

I have to agree with passing by Uhaul. They have one of the worst records on the open road. Trucks, trailers etc. I would suggest the Hidden Hitch you listed or similiar well known manufacturer. Sure Uhaul will install a hitch, hell, they'd install a class 5 hitch on a "smart car" if they could find one that would fit and you wanted it. For a reputable company / installer, they would only suggest a hitch that meets the towing capability of the vehicle and install it properly using the proper bolts and NOT welding it to anything they can find including the plastic bumpers. How many people installed one of those hitch receivers under the step bumper of your pickup using ONLY the bumper for support, then hooking up whatever they could, not taking into consideration the limits of a step bumper...sheesh
my .02

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

It had a factory hitch on it that I removed. I'd really like one that comes through the license plate. If nothing else I'll probably go with the Curts as it has a higher capacity than the Hidden did, but my preference would be the Street Scenes if it doesn't require a rollpan.

Does anyone have a pic of a Hidden Hitch on their newer truck?

Ratchet831

Post by Ratchet831 »

Jim21804 wrote:Several years ago a friend of mine moved using a double axle UHaul trailer behiing his Taurus wagon. He went to UHaul who installed the hitch on his car and rented him the trailer. As soon as he got on the interstate and went downhill the trailer started "pushing" the car down the hill. This causes the back of the car to swing side to side. The natural tendency is to slow down which make the situation worse. He didn't realize that he needed to speed up so the car would go back to "towing" the trailer. An intimitating move when you are already out of control at 60 MPH. The final outcome was the car and trailer in the median with the trailer on its side splayed open with his belongings scattered all over the place and the hitch, bumper, and hatchback torn off the car. UHaul wanted him to pay for the trailer and he countered that they advertise that they are the "experts in moving" and that they installed the hitch and rented him a trailer too heavy for his car to handle. The "experts" sent an amateur out with an unsafe configuration. In the end, UHaul paided to repair the car, paid for his lost belongings, and did not try to collect for the trailer.
Jim
No offense to you or your friend, but it seems like the blame lies 100% square with your friend. This would be like suing a gun manufacturer for shooting yourself in the foot cause you were practicing quick draws and accidently pulled the trigger in the process. At what point do people accept responsibilities for their actions and mistakes rather than try and make someone else pay for their stupidity?

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

Ratchet831 wrote:At what point do people accept responsibilities for their actions and mistakes rather than try and make someone else pay for their stupidity?
See posts within the Bailout Math thread... apparently the answer is 'never'.

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Actually Ratchet, I'd more equate it to suing a gun manufacturer because you were shooting at a target and the breech exploded because the bullets recommended by the gun manufacturer were too strong. U-Haul should not be renting a trailer that is going to be towed behind a car that can't handle the max weight the trailer is rated for.

Now if the guy overloaded the trailer, that would be another story.

Bent1

Plain bad design and worst management

Post by Bent1 »

Goes back to the state of our corporation management and societal acceptance of them

Bean Counter management is how I refer to them.

I don't like to be PC about not being accountable and blame others, but there is plenty
of blame to go around.

A receiver is a receiver and looks isn't that important to 'me'. Okay if you want
the torque tube to be hidden and only pin box visible, but it should be able to transfer
the loading properly to the end brackets, then to the frame rails.

The GMT800 receiver is a piece of junk. I've been discussing it over at rv.net for a
few years after someone from my church asked me about it.

I'm not up on the various brands, but again it should be designed properly and have
proper manufacturing metrics in place.

A receiver uses the WD forces (class IV) to lift the TV (tow vehicle) rear end and removes
weight to transfer (distribute) to the TVs front axle. Some goes back to the trailer's tongue.

In doing this, the cross tube (round, square, etc) twists (torque tube) to lift the TV rear
and distribute weight to the TV front axle.

Here is one link to an article and some pictures.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... page/3.cfm

I'm not sure on the GMT900's, as it is now welded onto the frame and think another poor
design. As it now only has a Class IV WD rating of 1,000 lbs.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... m#19985830

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

Some hitches are just plain wrong;

ToddH-2500HD
Location: South Dakota - 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 - Crew Cab / 4WD / 6.2L / 6L80E

Post by ToddH-2500HD »

Makoi wrote:Some hitches are just plain wrong;

1999 Tahoe 4x4

Post by 1999 Tahoe 4x4 »

Seems like a Corvette meeting. And this guy attends like this? :lol:

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

I agree with you Ben, that the receiver hitch should be able to handle the weight, however it should also fit within the aesthetics of the truck. Same thing with wheels. There's no reason why it can't be strong enough to do the job and still look good.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

1999 Tahoe 4x4

Post by 1999 Tahoe 4x4 »

Looks to me more like the coverage area of Sprint. Big City only.

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Cell phones cause accidents.