Decide the fate of Feeble.

Anything off-topic

Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, Dev

saturnstyl

Decide the fate of Feeble.

Post by saturnstyl »

You guys all know feeble. My 285,000 mile Mercedes 300E. Her A/C doesn't work, she is tempermental sometimes, and yet she can be depended on. She only gets 18mpg.

Today I looked at two Jeep Wrangler Rubicons. I decided they are not for me.

I looked at the chevy dealer along with a few other places. I can't get a Jeep Patriot because they are all sold out everywhere. Plus it might not be what I want anyways.

The only thing I really settled on is a 2009 Malibu 2LT. 2.4L with 6 speed auto. 33MPG highway. Its a demo with 6800 miles on it.

Sticker $25295
Demo markdown to $ 22250
Tax 682.50
Doc fee 398
Tags 55
rebate -2000
Cash for my clunker 3500
GM card cash back $1000
$500 off for a scratch on the bumper and a small damage spot on the dash board corner.
Total price $16885 or thereabouts.

What say you? I really don't want a car payment, but I need a decent car that gets good mileage.

Rob_B

Post by Rob_B »

Hey, they are not that bad a car. I rent them all the time. The only thing about the 4cyl is that they have a tough time getting out of their own way. They do cruise nice on the highway and are pretty comfortable even for a big guy like me. Sounds like you made a pretty good deal....

1999 Tahoe 4x4

Post by 1999 Tahoe 4x4 »

ThunderTT

Post by ThunderTT »

i say look at used - i just drove my sisters 2002 saturn L200 with the 2.2 and averaged 39mpg over a 1000 mile trip running 75-80 and its got 150k on it.

leather interior, full power, moon roof, and a decent stereo, was very comfortable over the trip.

gonna be making a return trip in the morning, will see what it gets going back up.

never been one for the smaller cars, but i really liked that one. plenty of get up and go too.

well, trip back up i kicked it up to an average speed of 78 - managed to get 36mpg, thats with some stop n go, construction and rain. A/C on the whole time. think im gonna look at one of those for a daily driver, my sister paid less than 4k for it, runs like a champ.

i left with 150 bucks in my pocket, went over 2k miles round trip and still have 40 in my pocket.
Last edited by ThunderTT on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pro

Post by Pro »

║║╔║║╔╗ ║
╠╣╠║║║║ ║
║║╚╚╚╚� O

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

I have been looking at used, but really want something new or nearly new simply for reasons of reliability. My blazer with 85K miles is not what I consider to be reliable.

They have a used malibu on the lot that isn't as well equipped and it would cost more because of cash for clunkers and also because of my GM card cash which would not apply.

Our local saturn dealer is more of a used car lot than a saturn dealer.

endo

Post by endo »

17k for a used Malibu seems like WAY too much. Around here Dodge dealers are marking quad cab 2wds down to 20k. Ford Fusions can be had for 12k. Even Toyota/Honda stuff is super cheap.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

Must be a regional thing. I found a used one, not as well equipped, four speed auto, with 40K miles for the same price.

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

My kids are both driving Toyota Corollas. They are going for around 4000 bucks around here, and will take just a little work to make like new, but they get in the 30s and run a lot better than you might think if you make the exhaust a little more free flowing. I'd not suggest one if you are both tall and need to carry someone behind you, but for a daily driver they're great little cars. Get a 2001 or newer, and you get the individual coil set. I drove each of my kids cars for a few weeks, and had a lot of fun driving them. They're like driving go-karts that'll go 80-100MPH really. If you go long distances, get cruise. I wouldn't mind getting one for a daily driver myself, and just may after I sell the house.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

I guess that is another difference between us. I will not entertain the thought of a japanese car. I have no desire to own one, drive one, or pay for one.

Ratchet831

Post by Ratchet831 »

saturnstyl wrote:I guess that is another difference between us. I will not entertain the thought of a japanese car. I have no desire to own one, drive one, or pay for one.
Why?

daddy_dandy

Post by daddy_dandy »

Godzilla attacks

Regardless of my financial condition, my next vehicle purchase will be a VW diesel. I really like the Passat/Jetta TDs. My dad has owned 3 Benz diesels (82 300cd, 83 300d, 86 300d) and while everything else has broken down on a couple of them, the drivetrains are still kickin. He still drives them because they still run like new.

Consequently, I'm a big fan of German diesels.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

Simple. I despise everything about them. I don't like their flimsy parts, I don't like their numb and boring driving characteristics, I don't like the kool aid mentality many people have about them, and the cost of parts is astronomical among other things.

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

id just vote japanese..but I see you despise them. Im not rly a fan of american cars unless they come with a v8.

i had a saturn and it was ok. but left alot to be desired. If I had to pick another i would do german but plan to drive it into the pavement they are very difficult to unload because people seem to have a fear of them breaking and costing a fortune to fix.

my experience comes from a BMW 330i and mercedes SL500

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

I think I may just shitcan this whole scheme. I can buy a lot of gas for $400 a month.

daddy_dandy

Post by daddy_dandy »

That logic is the same reason I still drive the GMT400 everyday.

Bent1

Post by Bent1 »

saturnstyl wrote:I think I may just shitcan this whole scheme. I can buy a lot of gas for $400 a month.
I'm with you on that and why my daily is the 1980 Silverado. Paid for, cheap
to fix, but does look like a heap, but I don't care. Maybe repaint it or even
Rhino Liner the whole thing.

Nice to have vs must have stuff.

Unless you are dating/hunting... :)

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

If a woman is materialistic enough to write you off because of your car, then she isn't the one for you.

I've owned two brand new Mercedes, and a brand new Sierra Denali. They proved that it aint about the car you drive.

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

I dunno, the Jap cars I've had have given me the least amount of problems. As long as I change the oil regularly, they just keep going and going. I've not seen anything on them that's any more flimsy than any of the GMs I've had, in some cases fit, finish and material quality are better than GM. After driving domestics and Jap cars, if I needed a new one today I'd have a hard time buying a new GM, but would have less of a problem buying a new Jap car. Those little Corollas are a blast to drive too. They need more HP of course, but then what doesn't.

But, you have to keep yourself happy, and you can indeed buy a lot of gas for 400 a month.

Have you considered dropping a GM V8 under the hood of your Mercedes? A 4.8L would get you down the road all right, and in a car should return mid 20s. Might even be able to get it into the 30s with careful part selection and tuning.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

Flimsy suspensions, tiny drivetrains, thin sheetmetal all add up to a car I feel is not substantial enough for my needs. I have no desire to own one. I've driven them and found them dull and lifeless, numb and annoying. I won't own one, period.