bedliner question

Anything off-topic

Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, Dev

Jim21804

bedliner question

Post by Jim21804 »

My new truck should be in next week. I have had a dropin bedliner in my truck for the past 18 years. I am considering a spray in one but wondered what experience people have had with them. I keep a cap on the truck so weather isn't an issue. One concern is the permanent nature of the spray on one. Once in I can't go back if I don't like it. I appreciate your thoughts/advice/regrets.
Jim

Rob_B

Post by Rob_B »

Jim, ask yourself.."what am I gonna be putting in the back". You could go with a simple rubber mat or with one of those bedcarpets since its always covered up with a lid. Unless you plan on throwing really rough stuff in there with the risk of scratching it all up, then I'd do with the spray in liner. Short of that, if its a grocery getter, keep it simple and removable. Skip those plastic liners unless you go with one that sits inside the rails...
My .02

Ratchet831

Post by Ratchet831 »

I used to work for Line-X about 10 years ago. First off, let me say that the time to make the decision is definitely now as it will be much easier with a fresh bed rather than one that has a bunch of grease and dirt in the cracks tha will get sealed in if you do get a spray in. Second, I understand that you plan on keeping a cap on it, but what to people typically buy trucks for? TO HAUL STUFF. The other thing I have noticed is once you get a pick up, you become everyone's new best friend so you can haul their stuff. I don't still work there, but having sprayed a few hundred of them on everything from brand new 3500 series duallys to 25 year old plow trucks with over 300k miles on the clock I can say everyone who came and got one on the older trucks said that their only complaint is that they wish they had gotten it sooner. Additionally, do NOT use a drop in liner unless you plan on removing it regularly because sand and dirt get caught between the liner and bed and the act as a sander to remove paint and primer down to the metal and when that happens the moisture that gets trapped in there will rust it out real quick. There were a few of the trucks where parts of the ribs of the bed had rusted out in 12"-18" sections and I had to lay masking tape over the holes (with the knowledge and permission of the owner) to give the liner something to form to.

endo

Post by endo »

Have had Line-X in my last several trucks, will have it the next one. Durable, looks good, and no worries throwing "whatever" in the bed.

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

I think the spray in liners are great. Had one in my 99 Silverado, and had planned on putting one in the 87 full size and the 87 S15 but never got around to it because there was a little rust on both that needed fixing first. My current 2000 Silverado came with a drop in liner that I hate. The only reason I've not already gotten rid of it is I haven't had the time to. I'm planning to replace the bed with a narrow bed, and it will be getting a spray in liner right off. I was sold on them with the 99 model.

Now as to brands, what I've heard is you want LineX for dead cargo and Rhinoliner for live cargo. The LineX will keep stuff from moving around and is a lot tougher, but if you have a dog in the back then it's kinda painful to stand on, and if something happens where the animal might slide the rough stuff will sand on the animal. Rhino is more rubbery so is more comfortable to stand and lay on, and won't strip the hide off, but isn't quite as tough. Remember, this is what I've heard, not necessarily what is true.

Neil1500HD

Post by Neil1500HD »

There are a couple newer drop-ins on the market.

Bedtred looks like a spray-on, but can be removed.
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subp ... dtred.html

Dualliner uses a thick rubber mat on the floor and hard plastic for the sides.
http://www.dualliner.com/

My current truck has a spray-in that the previous owner had put in. There are a few spots that have worn through and one area that looks like it was repaired/resprayed that is peeling up. If I ever get one sprayed in it will have to be a tan or gray color. The black just always looks dirty, even after pressure washing it.

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

I ran my first year with no bedliner at all in the 06 duramax rig. my 01 I had a drop in. The 01 as mentioned..sanded itself down and i hardly ever carried anything. Drop ins can "fly" out on the freeway too.. not cool.

I got an inyati sprayed in when i started doing contracting it wasnt cheap. $550 I think? $100 of that was a UV coating. Like the Line-x product it tends to turn grey from UV the coating kept it (still is) shiney black like my truck. I did over the rails because of dents. which are gone now.

I would definately do a spray in..and never a rollit your self type. Friends had those and they are chinsey.

I have hauled everything from ladders, to concrete bricks, pallets of tile bio diesel stuff..you name it. Not a ding in it. I just cant get the vegitable grease out.. its polymerized..

Boosted-Z71

Post by Boosted-Z71 »

I have done every truck I have owned for the past 10+ years with Hurculiner, An afternoon of work, ($85 (1 kit + 1 qt for a full size) for the Hurculiner, Menards runs it on sale with a $20-25 rebate very often) $8 for a quart of xylene to help clean anything up & you have a bedliner that will hold up very well to almost anything. I always put 2 coats on the sides & 3 on the floor. I haul anything & everything, If you do tear or scratch it, you can easily re-apply to that area & in a day you cant tell it. Honestly this is a great product for the price. Just throw everything away when your done, pan roller, brush etc, and wear gloves. You will have to wear it off your skin if you get it on you. I have also used this on my 5x10 utility trailer as paint, floor boards on tractors to create non-slip area etc. Gas, grease & oil easily powerwash right out with little effort & it looks new.

Boosted

PSWired

Post by PSWired »

The roll-in Herculiner worked well for me when it was covered by a tonneau cover. But exposed to light, it broke down after a year or so. It certainly is not as durable as a spray-in liner, but for light to medium duty use I think it's fine.

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

that came out nice

Boosted-Z71

Post by Boosted-Z71 »

I had trouble with 1 bed fading many years ago, I called them & they sent me a voucher for another gallon to re-coat it & said they had seen some complaints & the newer formula held its color better. The trailer is uncovered & has been parked in the sunlight when not in use & has just faded ever so slightly.

It does turn out very nice & hard to beat for $100 for the quality that you can get from there kits. Of course its like any other paint work, the better you prep the better the end result.

Boosted

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

I think you just inspired me to paint my boat trailer. thats SO much easier then spraying and having to deal with runs and taping etc etc etc.....