Who's got some Investment Ideas?

Anything off-topic

Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, VicC

Pecos

Hey Bud Fox!

Post by Pecos »

"Ever wonder why fund managers can't beat the S&P 500? 'Cause they're sheep, and sheep get slaughtered."

"I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought."

Gordon Gekko

BTW, good job snagging Daryl!

Pro

Post by Pro »

you lost me

Pecos

Wall Street, the movie.

Post by Pecos »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_(film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094291/quotes

"I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them! The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much." G Gekko

Pecos

I am not advocating emulating Gekko,

Post by Pecos »

just trying to pick up a few crumbs left on the table.

I have had my share of back seat rides while a mutual fund manager took the steering wheel. No more. I much prefer to be in the drivers seat and be an informed risk taker. Buy low, limit the down side, and let the up side run.

Greed kills. Buckle up.
Last edited by Pecos on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

There was an old show once, I think it was The Real Makoi's, and Grandpa Makoi's son, Luke, said, "be on guard against every form of greed; life is not in possessions". A lot of people missed that episode.

Pecos

I think his name was "Little Luke".

Post by Pecos »

Walter Brennan's grumpiness is what I remember. "Gol' darn it!" "Dag nab it!"

PRO - It would appear you started your three day weekend a day early. Up another ~.30 today!

Some profit taking at NWACQ today. Might present a buying opportunity for some. The stock is not done rising yet. Way too much going on in the airline industry for it to settle just yet.

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

Little Luke was Amos' grandson. The episode I was referring to was 12:15. It's still runs all the time, but almost everyone seems to ignore it.

Pro

Post by Pro »

sonc up today as well.

Pecos

PRO, go ahead and take next week off too.

Post by Pecos »

RADS up another .25 today.

I like days PRO is not in the office.

The Santa Clause rally seems to be underway on Wall Street. The Dow is moving up and up.

NWACQ down another .50 today. Lots of consolidation/profit taking going on. From a high this week of ~ 6.50 now today down to ~ 4.50 is a ~ 44% reduction. A signaficant correction and consolidation.

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/877082.html

Front page of the Minneapolis (home town for NWA) newspaper business section this morning has an article mentioning Northwest could receive $255+ million from the local airport commission in the hopes of helping the airline stay afloat, and in Minnesota. NWA appears to be building its war chest (cash) to battle any unfriendly take over bids. Buying NWACQ stock on any pull backs will still yield some profits, but this is a very volatile situation. Likely short term opportunities that are more in line with day trading. Not my comfort zone.

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

I just saw my investment idea driving down the road in my small ass town.
I was going to open an on location sevice service truck..Go to businesses and change all their oil and maintenance on-site.
Haven't seen anyone that does it except in some of the big cities like OKC and such...I was surprised as hell to see one driving down the road in my town....WITH A LOCAL NUMBER....
If anything I would say this small town of like 8000 couldn't support that,I was gonna go to the nearest large city like Fort Smith.
Large companies like Rheem and Whirlpool would do it for their white collar's and give a special rate to their other employee's..Who wouldn't want their oil changed while they went to work??No Fuss,No Muss and No Bother....

Pecos

Pro, your back at work this week.

Post by Pecos »

I can tell.

Pro

Post by Pro »

yes

Pro

Re: Pro, your back at work this week.

Post by Pro »

Pecos wrote:I can tell.
Its doing fine. I still should have done what cramer said and back the truck up on it. It hasnt gone high enough yet for me to have really gotten much from it.

Pro

Re: Pro, your back at work this week.

Post by Pro »

Pecos wrote:I can tell.
Hey Im working today which sucks, but its up 2 percent so far, yay

Pecos

A good day.

Post by Pecos »

Ended the day 2.7% up. Going in the right direction.

Pro, what ever you did today, do it again tomorrow.

The next day too. Ever see the movie Groundhog Day? Like that.

Pro

Post by Pro »

might want to check out motorolla
iv held it all the way down to 20. Im an idiot but according to their numbers it might start to climb here for the next couple of months. Some predicting at least 26 a share. Theres you another 25 percent gain.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=MOT&t=5 ... z=l&q=b&c=

Actually, the chart above indicates you are correct. The 5 year trend for Motorola is positive and it is currently in a dip (buying opportunity!). If you were to draw a support line connecting all the low points on the chart in the past 5 years, you will see what I mean. This appears to be a good to very good buying opportunity with the stock having a good change of rising the desired 20% - 30% as it crests the next wave. The frequency of the chart swings looks like it could hit a new crest in 4 to 6 months, so yes.

If you currently own it, don't sell. This would likely be the worst time to sell in the next 6 - 12 months.

Pro

Post by Pro »

i dont own that much of it. but i DID own csco and sold it like a nimwit when it was headed downward. Now its at record highs for the past few years

Pecos

uWink

Post by Pecos »

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,20 ... 122806EOAD

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=uwnk

Might be something to watch

I am trying to learn more about Motorola. At first blush, it looks to have good potential. I will let you know if I come up with anything.

Cisco was a buy last July when it was at $18-19. It is toppy now at 27. If you bought it at 19, now would be the time to set sell stops at 25 to lock in a 30% gain.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=csco

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=csco&p ... 6012&r=598

Pro

Post by Pro »

naa i dont like UWNK financials, ill stay away