Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, Dev

Hog
Location: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Ontario

2015 ZO6 Stingray 625hp LT4 Supercharged/8L90E trans

Post by Hog »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfhBg5O9 ... r_embedded

Released by a couple hours ago

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is Most Capable, Ever

DETROIT – Chevrolet today introduced the most track-capable Corvette in the brand’s history – the 2015 Corvette Z06. It stretches the performance envelope for Corvette with unprecedented levels of aerodynamic downforce, at least 625 horsepower from an all-new supercharged engine, and an all-new, high-performance eight-speed automatic transmission – all building on the advanced driver technologies introduced on the Corvette Stingray.

“The new Z06 delivers levels of performance, technology and design that rival the most exotic supercars in the world,� said Mark Reuss, president, General Motors North America. “And the Z06 leverages the engineering expertise of GM, offering the choice of two world-class transmissions, supercar performance without supercar fuel consumption and technologies that make it easier to fully enjoy the incredible experience of driving it.�

The 2015 model is the first Corvette Z06 to offer a supercharged engine, an automatic transmission and, thanks to a stronger aluminum frame, a removable roof panel. The new, supercharged 6.2L engine is expected to deliver at least 625 horsepower (466 kW), and can be matched with either a seven-speed manual or an all-new, high-performance eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters for manual control. The aluminum frame carries over from the Corvette Stingray and will be used essentially unchanged for the Corvette Racing C7.R.
A track-focused Z07 Performance Package adds unique components for true aerodynamic downforce, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup tires for enhanced grip, and Brembo carbon ceramic-matrix brake rotors that improve braking performance and contribute to greater handling through reduced unsprung weight. Although development testing is ongoing, the Z07 package has already recorded some of the fastest lap times ever for a Corvette, surpassing even the ZR1.
“The Corvette Z06 is a great example of the technology transfer between racing and production Corvettes,� said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “First, we took what we learned on the Corvette Racing C6.R and applied that to the all-new Corvette Stingray. Then, using the Stingray as a foundation, the Z06 and C7.R were developed to push the envelope of performance on the street and the track.�

Supercharged, efficient performance

The heart of the 2015 Corvette Z06 is the all-new LT4 6.2L supercharged V-8 engine, expected to deliver an estimated 625 horsepower (466 kW) and 635 lb-ft of torque (861 Nm). To balance performance and efficiency, the LT4 leverages the same trio of advanced technologies introduced on the Corvette Stingray: Direct injection, Active Fuel Management, or cylinder deactivation, and continuously variable valve timing.
These technologies – combined with the fuel-efficient multi-speed transmissions, aerodynamic design and lightweight construction – help make the new Z06 surprisingly fuel efficient.

“The supercharged LT4 engine delivers the greatest balance of performance and efficiency ever in the Corvette,� said John Rydzewski, assistant chief engineer for Small-Block engines. “It is one of the world’s only supercharged engines to incorporate cylinder deactivation technology, enabling it to cruise efficiently on the highway with reduced fuel consumption, but offer more than 600 horsepower whenever the driver calls up its tremendous power reserve.�

To maintain the Z06’s mass and performance targets, the LT4 engine was designed with a more-efficient, more-compact supercharger. Even with its integrated supercharger/intercooler assembly mounted in the valley between the cylinder heads, the engine is only about one inch (25 mm) taller than the Corvette Stingray’s LT1 engine – while delivering nearly 37 percent more horsepower and 40 percent more torque.

The new 1.7L Eaton R1740 TVS supercharger spins at up to 20,000 rpm – 5,000 rpm more than the supercharger on the Corvette ZR1’s LS9. The rotors are shorter in length, too, which contributes to their higher-rpm capability – and enables them to get up to speed quicker, producing power-enhancing boost earlier in the rpm band. That boost is achieved more efficiently, thanks to a new, more direct discharge port that creates less turbulence, reducing heat and speeding airflow into the engine.

The LT4 engine also has several unique features designed to support its higher output and the greater cylinder pressures created by forced induction, including:
-Rotocast A356T6 aluminum cylinder heads that are stronger and handle heat better than conventional heads

-Lightweight titanium intake valves and machined connecting rods for reduced reciprocating mass

-High 10.0:1 compression ratio – for a forced-induction engine – enhances performance and efficiency and is enabled by direct injection

-Forged aluminum pistons with unique, stronger structure to ensure strength under high cylinder pressures

-Stainless steel exhaust headers and an aluminum balancer that are lighter than their LT1 counterparts

-Standard dry-sump oiling system with larger cooler capacity than Z51; used with dual-pressure-control oil pump.

-The LT4 will be built in Tonawanda, N.Y., and at the new Performance Build Center in Bowling Green, Ky.

Eight speeds, no waiting

The supercharged LT4 is offered with a standard seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match, or an all-new 8L90 eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission designed to enhance both performance and efficiency.
“Unlike most ultra-performance cars, the Corvette Z06 offers customers the choice between two transmissions to suit their driving styles,� said Juechter. “The seven-speed gives the driver the control of a true three-pedal manual transmission with perfect shifts enabled by Active Rev Matching. The new eight-speed automatic offers drivers the comfort and drivability of a true automatic transmission, as well as lightning-fast shifts and manual control for track driving.�
The seven-speed manual incorporates rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. This driver-selectable feature can be easily engaged or disengaged via paddles on the steering wheel. The seven-speed is used with a new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia.The eight-speed automatic is tuned for world-class shift-response times, and smaller steps between gears keep the LT4 within the sweet spot of the rpm band, making the most of the output of the supercharged engine for exhilarating performance and greater efficiency.
For performance driving, the transmission offers full manual control via steering wheel paddles, and unique algorithms to deliver shift performance that rivals the dual-clutch/semi-automatic transmissions found in many supercars – but with the smoothness and refinement that comes with a conventional automatic fitted with a torque converter.
In fact, the 8L90’s controller analyzes and executes commands 160 times per second, and wide-open throttle upshifts are executed up to eight-hundredths of a second quicker than those of the dual-clutch transmission offered in the Porsche 911.
“There’s no trade-off in drivability with the new 8L90 eight-speed automatic transmission – it was designed to deliver performance on par with dual-clutch designs, but without sacrificing refinement,� said Bill Goodrich, assistant chief engineer for eight-speed automatic transmissions. “It is also the highest-capacity automatic transmission ever offered in a Chevrolet car.�
Featuring four gearsets and five clutches, creative packaging enables the GM-developed eight-speed automatic to fit the same space as the six-speed automatic used in the Corvette Stingray. Extensive use of aluminum and magnesium make it more than eight pounds (4 kg) lighter than the six-speed. Along with design features that reduce friction, the 8L90 is expected to contribute up to 5-percent greater efficiency, when compared with a six-speed automatic.
The eight-speed automatic will be built at GM’s Toledo, Ohio, transmission facility.

Designed for downforce
The performance targets of the Z06 also posed a challenge for the design team, which had to create a striking design that also contributed to increased capabilities.

“Practically every exterior change served a functional purpose, as this beast needed more of everything,� said Tom Peters, Corvette design director, “The flared fenders accommodate larger, wider wheels and tires for more grip. The larger vents provide more cooling air to the engine, brakes, transmission and differential for increased track capability. The more aggressive aerodynamic package generates true downforce for more cornering grip and high-speed stability.�

The design changes began not with the exterior panels, but the tires.

To deliver the levels of grip needed for the Z06’s performance targets, the Z06 was fitted with larger Michelin tires (Pilot Super Sport tires for the Z06; Sport Cup 2 tires with the Z07 package). The P285/30ZR19 front tires are 1.5 inches wider than the tires on the Stingray, while the 335/25ZR20 rear tires are two inches wider.

To cover the wider tire tread, the fenders of the Z06 were extended by 2.2 inches (56 mm) at the front, and 3.15 inches (80 mm) at the rear. These extensions give the Corvette Z06 a wider, lower appearance further emphasized by a unique rear fascia. It incorporates the same taillamp assemblies as the Stingray, but on the Z06 the taillamps are pushed approximately three inches farther apart, toward to edges of the body.

The tires are mounted on lightweight, spin-cast aluminum wheels that are also wider than the Stingray (19 x 10 inches in front and 20 x 12 inches in the rear). Their open, ultralight design showcases the massive Brembo brakes, which are part of the design aesthetic:

EDIT. This LT4 engine is the 3rd Chevrolet engine to have forged pistons.
Included in this list are the:
GEN 4 6.2 liter s/c LS9 used in the ZR-1 Corvette
GEN 4 6.2 liter s/c LSA used in the Cadillac CTS-V/ZL1 Camaro
GEN 5 6.2 liter s/c LT4 to be used in the 2015 ZO6 Stingray

Seems as though GM figuers that if it has a blower, it requires OEM forged pistons. Chrysler upgraded its Viper V10 pistons to forged units to support the aftermarket enthusiasts who use power adders.

So far all the GEN 5 engines use forged cranks as well. The truck's 5.3 L83, 6.2 L86, Vette's LT1 and supercharged LT4 all have forged cranks. Knowing that GM doesnt spend money where it doesnt have to, this illustrates how much more the SBC's output has grown over the years.

peace
Hog
Last edited by Hog on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Me likes
In fact, the 8L90’s controller analyzes and executes commands 160 times per second, and wide-open throttle upshifts are executed up to eight-hundredths of a second quicker than those of the dual-clutch transmission offered in the Porsche 911. 
So far all the GEN 5 engines use forged cranks as well. The truck's 5.3 L83, 6.2 L86, Vette's LT1 and supercharged LT4 all have forged cranks. Knowing that GM doesnt spend money where it doesnt have to, this illustrates how much more the SBC's output has grown over the years. 

battmain

Post by battmain »

One of the complaints I've read on the other forums with the supercharged vehicles was the supercharger rotors knocking due to the bean counters talking. It is to be seen if that was resolved for this version. Hope they don't price it too high either. I've driven a Z06 in a track environment, and all I can say is drooooooool. My knees buckled as I stepped out. It was that fun! :)

z71gmc06

Post by z71gmc06 »

The Corvette Stingray was just named car of the year at the Detroit Auto Show.

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Nice. Now if only they'd pull that Camaro rear end off it. The concept was sweet looking, the reality is ... not so much.

Still, I think that new drivetrain would be worth putting up with the rear design. :lol:

I'd also be willing to bet that it will still pull down over 30MPG on the highway.

HEY GM! PUT THAT FUEL SAVING TECH IN THE CHEVY SS TOO!!!

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Speeder wrote:Nice. Now if only they'd pull that Camaro rear end off it.
x2

I really like the look of the Z06, better than the Stingray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXIWZtpE5zk

It better be good cause Supra Dupra is coming back!

The near future is going to be fun:

Godzilla vs Destroyah vs Transformer

z71gmc06

Post by z71gmc06 »

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

CrazyHoe wrote:
Speeder wrote:Nice. Now if only they'd pull that Camaro rear end off it.
x2

I really like the look of the Z06, better than the Stingray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXIWZtpE5zk

The Supra is coming back? Really? The car that no matter how fast it might be, no matter how much it might cost, it's still a stupid ricer for wannabes?

CrazyHoe

Post by CrazyHoe »

Speeder wrote:
CrazyHoe wrote:

The Supra is coming back? Really? The car that no matter how fast it might be, no matter how much it might cost, it's still a stupid ricer for wannabes?
Oh forgot to put the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0T-eb ... ata_player

It's called the FT-1 for now. And if they make it, it will look like a super car and priced like one...

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

I'm still on the fence for the entire platform. I got really excited about the Z06 having had one years ago.. but I sat in a stingray and my biggest complaint was the plastic roof. Felt like 1/4" cheap plexi roof. aside from that.. the tech specs on the z06's motor seemed less impressive than the older z06 being dry sump and bigger etc..

im excited for direct injection though.

Hog

Post by Hog »

SikSilverado wrote:I'm still on the fence for the entire platform. I got really excited about the Z06 having had one years ago.. but I sat in a stingray and my biggest complaint was the plastic roof. Felt like 1/4" cheap plexi roof. aside from that.. the tech specs on the z06's motor seemed less impressive than the older z06 being dry sump and bigger etc..

im excited for direct injection though.
LT1 and LT4 are dry sumped. The LT1 is available in dry and wet sump crate engines for about $10,700, but in the Vette's the LT1 and LT1 are dry sumped, just like the LS7 and LS9 and the manual trans LS3 in the Vette.

I think GM is thinking that the 625hp blown is more impressive than a N/A 505hp 427 LS7.

Did you happen to notice the orange peel while looking down the flanks of teh car? Some are having issues requireing block sanding and a repaint.

peace
Hog

battmain

Post by battmain »

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/lt4-engi ... is-coming/

"The estimated 625-horsepower figure quoted for Chevy’s new 6.2-liter supercharged LT4 at the Detroit Auto Show unveiling of the upcoming 2015 Corvette Z06 is likely to spiral upwards when the final production model hits the dealerships early next year, according to the engine’s chief engineer."

Aloicious
Location: 96, C1500, LS31, T56, 24x CNP/LS2 coils, Whipple, 411, EFILive, MPFI, ZZ4, Trutrac, 4.88...etc

Post by Aloicious »

me likey

Hog

Post by Hog »

Here is some track testing of the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 with its 625hp/635lb/ft torque LT4 engine. It's new 1.7L Eaton R1740 TVS supercharger spins at up to 20,000 rpm -- 5,000 rpm more than the supercharger on the Corvette ZR1's LS9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyESj_3rHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcwLhRFt_nk

.A 7 speed manual trans and a new 8 speed (8L80E) transmission. The 8L80E, even with its 2 extra gears, it is lighter than the 6 speed 6L80E. Launch Control and rev matching capabilities come with the transmissions.

Auto trans weight
6 speed auto 6L90E=95kg (209lb)
8 speed auto 8L90E= 91kg(200lb)

Manual trans weights
6 speed manual TR-6060=66.3 kg (146.2 lb) (used in the C6 Vettes)
7 speed manual TR-6070=65.2 kg (143.75 lb) (used in the C7 Stingrays)

Vehicle weights
2014 C7 Stingray=3298lbs
2015 C7 ZO6==???

C6 ZR1 0-60mph=3.8 seconds
C7 ZO6 0-60mph=3.5 seconds

Here is a ZO6 online brochure.
http://www.chevycorvette.com/2015-corvette-z06

There is even an option that supplies a built in Performance Data Recorder. It records various sensor info and saves on a removable SD card allowing playback "in the car" on teh 8" LCD screen,or take and play it back on your PC/Laptop. Included in the package is a forward facing camera to record your laps on the track.

Must be an awesome job to test these vehicles.

peace
Hog

CrazyHoe

Post by CrazyHoe »

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

I'll take an auto over a manual any day. They shift so much faster and can do rev match downshifts and such... automatics have gotten really good. All the automation in newer cars can make someone appear to be a lot better than they actually are, and really pull as much performance out of the car as possible while increasing safety. Sure some guys complain of being disconnected or whatever, but I find myself hanging on for dear life in most cars over 500HP anyways, so a little help is nice.

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Nah, sticks are more fun to drive. Unfortunately in my case my wife never was any good with a manual trans even before her accident, and now they are impossible for her. I can only have a manual if I ever get around to building a toy. An auto may be faster, but being able to grab the exact gear you want at the exact time you want it, and be able to hold it until the exact time you want to shift... getting it right with a manual trans is magical but getting it right with an auto is just another day at the office.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

The computer gets it right... EVERY TIME. And my clutch leg doesn't get tired in traffic.

Last manual I recall driving was a Viper GTS. It was hell in traffic. And those cool rev match downshifts? They don't happen.

If I want to shift manually, I'll put my automatic in manual mode. Paddle shifting is the way currently. If you want to play around and choose your gears, you can. Meanwhile the operation of shifting is carried out much more quickly than you are able to do it, with the ability to rev match and if necessary stop you from making a mistake.

battmain

Post by battmain »

Bah! I'll take manual any day. A properly executed heel and toe, trail braking into a corner on the edge of adhesion with some sideways action will win over any manumatic. Sure they have improved significantly and many of the automatics I've driven lately have shown huge improvement in speed and rev matching, but still can't compare. Traffic? The people behind always seem to be pissed off at me when I keep two car lengths from the car in front...without touching the brakes. Winding out first and second gear will move or slow the car when we use the right pedal properly. Other than the truck, all my cars are manuals. GM had discontinued the 6 speed when I purchased and sadly, it seems most of the other manufacturers are doing the same. Dodge is about the only one offering a manual now.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

Huh? What automatics are you driving? Because the ones I've driven can easily exceed the abilities of most humans. They downshift and hold the lower gear and higher rpm's in corners as they are integrated with traction control. I'm sure there are some older ones out there that aren't nearly as good, but a state of the art dual clutch auto is a thing of beauty and precision. I can do whatever I want with it, without bothering with a clutch. Many are now shipped with a "race start" feature that gives you the ability to rev the engine and "dump the clutch". Its automated and this occurs as exactly the right moment to ensure the fastest acceleration possible.

Perhaps my time with a manual transmission, stuck in traffic and creeping forward a little at a time broke me of ever wanting another manual. Sure there are times its satisfying to drive one, but in my own personal car? I'd take a good auto. Whether its driving off road, normal or spirited driving, I prefer the auto. Probably the best thing about a manual in this day and age is it can significantly reduce the chance of theft as a lot of folks don't know how to drive a stick anymore.