Shooting

Anything off-topic

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, Eric, James B.

Chevy 97
Location: 97 ECSB K1500 6.3L 4L80E 14 bolt SF Hydro Boost, Headman Ellite Headers, 140 amp alt.

Shooting

Post by Chevy 97 »

My wife Lezlie wanted to go shooting for her birthday this year. Her birthday is tomorrow so we went on Saturday to the Red Deer Shooting Club.
A family member actually runs the place and we used two of his guns. Since I don't own any up here yet. We shot an AR15 with a 20 shot clip, and a 9mm with a 10 shot clip.

We went through 90 rounds pretty damn fast.

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

Doesn't take long to go through a whole lotta ammo. And its an expensive habit.

Hog
Location: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Ontario

Post by Hog »

OMG thats an, an , an, assault rifle, AND a handgun? Surely must have been a trip down South as those sorts of death machines, aren't legal up here in Canada.

Glad you had fun, looks like your Wife can put an intruder down.

I remember having an audiometric test and they asked me if I shot guns. Apparently I have some hearing issues in the range of gunshots.
Nothing like the smell of burnt gunpowder in the morning.lol

peace
Hog

Chevy 97
Location: 97 ECSB K1500 6.3L 4L80E 14 bolt SF Hydro Boost, Headman Ellite Headers, 140 amp alt.

Post by Chevy 97 »

You can own a pistol here but it can only be for shooting at a gun club, cannot be used anywhere else. The assault rifle is legal with a 5 shot clip as long as it stays semi automatic. He is allowed to use the 20 round clip at the club only. It was a lot of fun for the short time. I used to do that all the time on the farm back in Montana, since not on the farm never shot a lot after that. I would practice with my 22. which I still have but it is at my parents house in Montana. Not sure if I can bring that across the border. It holds 15 rounds and doesn't have a clip. Semi automatic too.

Hog

Post by Hog »

Chevy 97 wrote:You can own a pistol here but it can only be for shooting at a gun club, cannot be used anywhere else. The assault rifle is legal with a 5 shot clip as long as it stays semi automatic. He is allowed to use the 20 round clip at the club only. It was a lot of fun for the short time. I used to do that all the time on the farm back in Montana, since not on the farm never shot a lot after that. I would practice with my 22. which I still have but it is at my parents house in Montana. Not sure if I can bring that across the border. It holds 15 rounds and doesn't have a clip. Semi automatic too.
I was joking, most Americans think that we dont have handguns or assault rifles. Heck there is even a small number of concealed carry permits, something like 13 in the Province of Ontario.

The laws are tough but these weapons can be had up here.

In my shotguns we have to have a wooden plug inserted to only allow for 3 shots, 1 in the chamber 2 in the mag, it takes seconds to remove and then you can have 6 or 7 in teh mag and 1 in the chamber.
I have some other "interesting" items.

peace
Hog

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

I have multiples of everything. Redundancy is necessary for survival.

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

Hog wrote:
Chevy 97 wrote:You can own a pistol here but it can only be for shooting at a gun club, cannot be used anywhere else. The assault rifle is legal with a 5 shot clip as long as it stays semi automatic. He is allowed to use the 20 round clip at the club only. It was a lot of fun for the short time. I used to do that all the time on the farm back in Montana, since not on the farm never shot a lot after that. I would practice with my 22. which I still have but it is at my parents house in Montana. Not sure if I can bring that across the border. It holds 15 rounds and doesn't have a clip. Semi automatic too.
I was joking, most Americans think that we dont have handguns or assault rifles. Heck there is even a small number of concealed carry permits, something like 13 in the Province of Ontario.

In my shotguns we have to have a wooden plug inserted to only allow for 3 shots, 1 in the chamber 2 in the mag, it takes seconds to remove and then you can have 6 or 7 in teh mag and 1 in the chamber.

peace
Hog
Maybe so but your a hell of a lot more restricted on what you can and cant have. I dont have to be a member of a shooting club to own one and my magazine capacity isnt limited. God Bless America!

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Hog

Post by Hog »

Whipped383 wrote:
Hog wrote:

peace
Hog
Maybe so but your a hell of a lot more restricted on what you can and cant have. I dont have to be a member of a shooting club to own one and my magazine capacity isnt limited. God Bless America!
Yes, quite a restriction, having to be a member of a hunting club. Any mag capacities that I would be willing to talk about are for hunting. I dont need more than three.

Yes, God Bless your murder rate. Different world down in your parts.

peace
Hog

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Hog wrote:Yes, quite a restriction, having to be a member of a hunting club. Any mag capacities that I would be willing to talk about are for hunting. I dont need more than three.

peace
Hog
I think I'd want more than three shots available to me for hunting. You may not need more than one shot for that deer, but that pack of grizzly bears or wolves that come along in the middle of field dressing that deer might be another story.

Marty
Location: So. Cal. .... '04 Tahoe / '03 MBZ S55 / '07 Charger

Post by Marty »

The rules in Kalifornia are terrible. Possession and firearm restrictions will conflict when you compare state v. federal and hunting v. shooting. The use of a registered weapon (black gun) is allowed at a shooting event, but you may be detained or arrested if you use the same firearm on public land. Same with the transportation of firearms. Semi-auto (black gun) firearms may be used for hunting, but the public and LE agencies have a prejudice against this act. Either way, there are capacity restrictions while hunting; which vary depending on the type of game you are hunting. Post-ban black guns are restricted in capacity, or they may not be possessed in Kali. The liberal left anti-gun'ers are still fighting to remove all firearms from this state. And as they say: "As California, so goes the nation" (except Texas - Thank God.)

Hog

Post by Hog »

Speeder wrote:
Hog wrote:Yes, quite a restriction, having to be a member of a hunting club. Any mag capacities that I would be willing to talk about are for hunting. I dont need more than three.

peace
Hog
I think I'd want more than three shots available to me for hunting. You may not need more than one shot for that deer, but that pack of grizzly bears or wolves that come along in the middle of field dressing that deer might be another story.
It depends on the hunting. I was quoting waterfowl regs for shotguns, where if you need more than 2, you shouldnt be shooting. If you are in places where you have to woryy about bears, you allowed more than 3 shots and unlimited mags.
If bears were a concern, I sure as heck would want more than 3 shots. Jeez Jim, the thought of a "pack" of Grizzlies while I'm dressing a deer literally gave me the creeps. Not a situation I would want to find myself in, esp. alone. But I would never do that alone, just not safe.

Last bear scare I had was a couple weeks into Basic Training in the Army. We got a report of bears in the area, so they ordered us to remove our BFA's(blank firing assists-basilcall a screw in plug that goes into the muzzle to allow the gas assembly eject and load cartidges) and to affix bayonets. So I'm standing there with a C7(Canadian M-16) that will only fire a single BLANK at a time, and would require charging the weapon after EACH trigger pull because the gas assembly wouldnt actuate, with a blade at the end of it. So basically I have a stick with a knife at the end of it. I did NOT feel like the most confident warrior at that moment. It would have been a little better if it was a live fire exercise.

peace
Hog

Hog

Post by Hog »

Marty wrote:The rules in Kalifornia are terrible. Possession and firearm restrictions will conflict when you compare state v. federal and hunting v. shooting. The use of a registered weapon (black gun) is allowed at a shooting event, but you may be detained or arrested if you use the same firearm on public land. Same with the transportation of firearms. Semi-auto (black gun) firearms may be used for hunting, but the public and LE agencies have a prejudice against this act. Either way, there are capacity restrictions while hunting; which vary depending on the type of game you are hunting. Post-ban black guns are restricted in capacity, or they may not be possessed in Kali. The liberal left anti-gun'ers are still fighting to remove all firearms from this state. And as they say: "As California, so goes the nation" (except Texas - Thank God.)
Wow, I really can;t envision any State gunless. That sounds dangerous, there are simply too many guns, more guns than people to disarm people, while the criminal element remains armed, and Police remain unsupported.

I did hear on the radio a couple days ago that there are some Sherrifs that are not enforcing certain gun laws. I wish I had caught more speciifcs, but they said that because Sheriffs are elected and that Police Chiefs are appointed, that the Sheriffs are acting on behalf of their constituents and doing what the people want. The Sheriffs believe that in court they wouldnt be prosecuted because the gun laws are vague and go against peoples rights.
Sounds interesting, but also sounds like a dangerous precident as well. I thought Sheriffs were supposed to upholdlaws, not make them?

peace
Hog

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

The second amendment to the constitution of the United States of America IS THE LAW.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

Hog wrote:
Whipped383 wrote:
Hog wrote:

peace
Hog
Yes, quite a restriction, having to be a member of a hunting club. Any mag capacities that I would be willing to talk about are for hunting. I dont need more than three.

peace
Hog
Funny thing is the states that have less gun laws have less crime. Dont think for one minute it doesent have to do with population density, Theres as many people in kali as all of canada. With as many bears and wolves as there are up north especially out west the laws are stupid up there. Last summer I was in central alberta with my grandpa taking a hike in some dense forest, you bet he took his rifle with us. I dont wanna argue this and that but Im am proud to be able to have what ever I want and whatever any other responsible citizen wants, The guy you dont want to have it is going to any way no matter how many laws you pass.

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Yep. They can print guns on a printer now, and they are coming out with a METAL printer now. It uses a wire feed welder to do the printing. Right now it's not capable, but it won't be long until you can print a metal gun.

Hog

Post by Hog »

Whipped383 wrote:
Hog wrote:
Whipped383 wrote:
Hog wrote:

peace
Hog

peace
Hog
Funny thing is the states that have less gun laws have less crime. Dont think for one minute it doesent have to do with population density, Theres as many people in kali as all of canada. With as many bears and wolves as there are up north especially out west the laws are stupid up there. Last summer I was in central alberta with my grandpa taking a hike in some dense forest, you bet he took his rifle with us. I dont wanna argue this and that but Im am proud to be able to have what ever I want and whatever any other responsible citizen wants, The guy you dont want to have it is going to any way no matter how many laws you pass.
Yes Cali has a population more than 30 million. What is your point about pop. density? More or less murders, or more or less laws, just not getting it?

I'm glad you are proud of your country, most people in North America are proud of their country. And they should be, theyve got it better than most of the world.

peace
Hog

Hog

Post by Hog »

Speeder wrote:Yep. They can print guns on a printer now, and they are coming out with a METAL printer now. It uses a wire feed welder to do the printing. Right now it's not capable, but it won't be long until you can print a metal gun.
There is metal printing, it just depends on if you can afford the technology. NASA has been printing all materials for years.

Addative machining s much more efficient than subtractive machining. There literally isnt any scrap, unless there is a screw up. Exciting technologies, in both positive and negative ways.

The Earth has a billion years left, I wonder how long humans have?

peace
Hog

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

On population density, it does matter. A guy named John Calhoun did experiments with rats in a box. Everything was fine for the rats, until the population density for the cage size reached a certain point. Once the population density became too great, the rats began to fight each other. Eventually, the rats started eating each other. Apparently rats and humans have similar mindsets when it comes to population density, although I doubt the rats have the same depth to depravity that humans have. In high density human populations, those with a criminal intent start to feel the safety of anonymity in the crowds, and crime increases. When the guy is described according to standard characteristics, a larger population means more people fit the description.

But, I think where he was going on population density is in the urban centers, people don't have the same needs as people in rural areas. How many bears is the average Los Angeles citizen likely to run into outside of a zoo? On the other hand, a citizen in the Montana mountains is more likely to encounter a hungry bear than another human.

On the metal printing, last time I saw anything on it the cost was about 10,000 dollars to build your own. Too much for most, especially with the quality still being low, but it's just a matter of time before you can go to Wal-Mart and buy an HP metal/plastic/color/B&W printer for $299.95. NASA, of course, has a bigger budget than Joe Average. :lol:

Chevy 97

Post by Chevy 97 »

It's not just the bears, and wolves. Out here the ranchers have cattle to protect from coyotes. There are mountain lions here too. Thankfully I live far enough from the mountains we don't see bears. But there was a black bear in our area a few years ago. A co worker lives near Leslieville and he has bears, wolves, mountain lions and coyotes by his place. You have to watch yourself when you go out at night. California has its problems with the bears up north they also have an abundance of mountain lions. I wish I had the statistics at hand, but there are four cities in the US, that when you take away the murders from guns, the US drops from 2nd to like 23rd in the world. Those four cities have strict gun laws. You cannot have a gun period. Those cities also have the highest crime rate. I guess where people are allowed to own guns and be able to carry guns, the murder and crime rate goes down.
I didn't mean for this to get into such a debate about gun ownership. I grew up with guns, right now I don't have one and feel like I need one to protect my wife and pets from either hungry coyotes or thieves. After what my neighbor did, I think thieves stay away from our area right now.