They're sooo beautiful...

Anything off-topic

Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, Dev

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

They're sooo beautiful...

Post by Speeder »

I ordered a set of factory manuals for the 2000 Silverado. They are in the chair next to me. 150 bucks including delivery. As soon as I go off the 12 hour 6 day workweek I'm on, and get another car to drive, I'll start knocking out all those little annoying things like the auto headlights not turning the tail lights on.

There's some scanner I need to check the body computer, anyone know what it is?

battmain

Post by battmain »

And heavy too! :lol: Are you saying the tail lights come on with the switch? And the scanner sounds like a tech II

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Yeah, everything works manually, but only the headlights come on when using the auto sensing headlights. The dash lights stay off, and the radio display goes away too. The radio display comes back on when the switch is turned if it's dark out, and is how I know that the truck has switched from daytime to nighttime operation.

battmain

Post by battmain »

First thing I'd do is go tracing wires and grounds using the wiring diagram, making sure there are no traces of alarm wires and that stuff. Also check the switch for corrosion and clean it up with a dremel and wire brush. I've had to clean up my headlight switch because certain modes didn't work, but it wasn't the auto mode.

And also verify the fuses. I think I remember a few years ago, something with my tail lights and the fuse in question didn't correlate with the issue? I did have to dig and it was a fuse, but it wan't labeled as the most logical choice. I'm trying to remember if it was a separate fuse for the trailer in the main fuse center, but it slips me at the moment.

ThunderTT

Post by ThunderTT »

yeah, if there was ever an alarm in there - the easiest place is behind the switch - brown wire i think - been a while...........

but that dont mean it was done right or that something isnt messed up.......

endo

Post by endo »

EFILive will read BCM codes. On my '04 it was able to tell me which actuator bit the dust in its overly electronic climate control. Had a few other codes for various other interior issues.

These were four digit codes just like the OBDII codes but preceded by "B" rather than "P". I didn't think most handhelds/OBDII scanners would do this. Don't know if it's the same on an '00.

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

OK sweet, because I am now seeing B codes where before I was not. How about ABS, and are there any other systems I would need to read that EFI Live can't?