Fails to perform as advertised.

Anything off-topic

Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, Dev

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

I'll give you that for sure.. Riding in my truck is like a caddy esp since im running 2011 rear cab mounts now..its a world of difference. The fords are like driving a covered wagon down the highway.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Boxing the frame increases the torsional rigidity tremendously. But if you reduce the thickness of the metal to save weight then that doesn't help much. Also, cross members play a huge role in torsional rigidity.

I've heard big rigs need their frames to have a certain flexibility otherwise they tend to crack.

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

Yeah Ill give you that chevs do ride a ton nicer I see what your saying as the frame acting like a spring with twist. Big rig frames are a whole nother subject tho they have straight rails front to back c channel frame the torque on them is amazing. When I was in school they told us to never drill the flanges of the fram or attatch anything there and that web should be used. Pickup frame has everything attached to the frame flanges and they dont have a problem with cracking take an early 80s chev frame for example all the crossmembers are attached at the frame flanges.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Whipped383 wrote:... take an early 80s chev frame for example all the crossmembers are attached at the frame flanges.
Well, actually... the 80s Chevy 4x4s did have problems with the frames cracking at the steering box. There was a fix kit for them available for a long time.

CrazyHoe

Post by CrazyHoe »

Test created by Failed Off Road Designs.

Of course, each frame has a resonance and you want to chose the speed that makes your product shine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4&NR=1

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

Your right early chevs did crack by the box witch was genearally caused from bigger tires. The 67-72 frame didn't have the problem near as bad because they had a wider frame flange. They narrowed the flange on the 73 to make room for big blocks

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Yes, but it does show that none of them are perfect. I'd also like to note that the 73-80 Chevy trucks are my absolute favorites. :D

endo

Post by endo »

White 350 wrote:Ya'll seen this?? :) Ford vs Chevy 1 ton frame bending

Unreal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMQjm7i2Jw
No surprise there. 2500HD frame was redesigned for 2010 (2011?) to be fully boxed, and is thus quite torsionally rigid. I think Chevy is the only one doing a fully boxed HD. 2009 2500HD ought to behave similar to the F250.
Speeder wrote:
Whipped383 wrote:
Interesting they say they keep an eye on the forums and one user in paticular. The user they refered to says he's working on a solution to the frame problem idiot hell make it so rigid then it will just crack and break. Pull your heads out ford oweners they aren't meant to handle abuse no truck is.
Normally I would agree, but not in this case. These trucks are advertised as being ready to take straight to a Baja run. This means they should be better able to handle abuse than a standard truck, yet the frame is the same as a standard truck which is not Baja-capable. The problem is is Ford expected to sell only to poseurs and not to actual Baja runners.
Pure nonsense.

There's only so much strength you're going to get out a relatively flat-profile standard truck frame before you add structure vertically (i.e., caging it from front to back). Not particularly practical for a daily driver, and not exactly doable for $8,000 over the cost of a standard truck.

If you run any truck at 8/10ths or better of its capability offroad and haven't prerun the course, this is going to happen.

You can take a bone-stock Ford Raptor on the Baja course. You'd just have to prerun it and then drive the truck within its limits...which in the case of a Raptor includes not going 60mph over a 18" high kicker. Rod Hall managed it with a 2007 Hummer H3 packing a 10-bolt. Or take a look at the VW Bugs (SCORE Class 5).

If anyone takes Ford's marketing to indicate that it's a trophy truck and/or thinks they can run at high-speed without knowing what's ahead...they'll get what they deserve.

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

After reading the SVT's guys answer, it does make sense from an engineering perspective. There was no loss of control (Donkey kick and the resultant panic brake application - nose dive) and the vehicle was driven home afterward. I do think the marketing sets up the expectation of something other than what folks are getting though. BUT, that what marketing does....... You know, drink this alcohol and these women (insert any picture here) are yours!!

CrazyHoe

Post by CrazyHoe »

97k15004wd wrote:.....You know, drink this alcohol and these women (insert any picture here) are yours!!
Well... C'mon, don't keep it a secret! Which brand is it? :P :D

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

Damiana is a plant that grows well in the hot, humid climate in Baja California, Mexico. Several Mexican producers use the plant to make damiana liquor, a sweet, herbal alcoholic beverage that is rumored to be a strong aphrodisiac. Damiana liquor can be consumed on its own or used as an ingredient in a variety of mixed drinks.

The leaves from the damiana plant were traditionally used in Mexico for medicinal purposes to treat a range of ailments including asthma, headaches and depression. Damiana liquor was first made by the Guaycura Indians in Mexico and used during religious ceremonies. According to ancient legend, damiana liquor was eventually banned by the Guayacara due to its strong aphrodisiac powers. In some parts of Mexico, a wedding tradition includes giving a new bride a bottle of damiana liquor as a gift to encourage fertility.

s10mods

Post by s10mods »

Speeder wrote:Yes, but it does show that none of them are perfect. I'd also like to note that the 73-80 Chevy trucks are my absolute favorites. :D
x2