Fails to perform as advertised.

Anything off-topic

Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, Dev

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

Wow I thought the superdutys had pretty stout frames they use em a lot around here for snowplows and everyone knows how tough that is on a truck. The ford twin I beam front end was a piece of garbage alignment is never right weak and rough riding. See bold moves again lol

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Actually the 3/4ton and larger have extremely flexible frames.
The metal couldn't withstand the loads if it were too stiff,kinda like semi's if I understand correctly.
Our dealership had a cool display setup to advertise Fords "boxed" frames (only on 1/2ton).
Look under one and it's not fully boxed though,only in the stress areas of the suspension pretty much IIRC.

I was the only SVT tech at our dealer so I got to take the new model training,I don't remember much of it but they did stress that the truck was built to drive off the dealership lot and compete in Baja with no modifications at all.
Personally,I think it's one of the ugliest trucks i've ever seen. (and I like studebakers!)

endo

Post by endo »

I bought one of these (Sierra is now Mom's in NJ). The better forum is fordraptorforum.com. That raptorforumz.com is equivalent to FSC....actually quite a bit worse. It's run by a dictator-a$$hole who bans people who even suggest that the giant flashing advertisements floating over content might be distracting. He's infamous for deleting and editing posts too. There's been a mass exodus from that place to fordraptorforum.com.

When I heard about the bent frames, I was at first pretty shocked and concerned about it, but as more and more information has come out, it appears they were all running flat out having not prerun the course. Other people had prerun the course but one needed a proper GPS (not the factory nav) in order to have the waypoints for all the bad stuff. Apparently what did the most damage was a particular 18" high kicker that people were hitting at 65-85mph. They would have slowed down, but it was very difficult to see. Hence the need to either pre-run or at the very least have very accurate hazard data points.

Kicker is @ 1:30ish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eK-1Ld7sJY

Hog
Location: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Ontario

Post by Hog »

Whodathunk, you race a truck and it breaks. Never happened to me lol.

peace
Hog

saturnstyl

Post by saturnstyl »

That was a nasty kicker. I'd kinda expect something to break! We don't have roads like that around here. Generally just trails through the woods with the odd mudhole dispersed here and there. You aren't gonna do 80mph through any of it. Of course its quite easy to tear a rig up at even slow speeds.

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

CrazyHoe wrote:Ford Raptor 6.2 Jump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atwOuQXO ... ature=fvwp
Thats nuts did you see how violently the rear end bottomed out and couldnt have gotten more than 6 inces of air. Im sorry but leaf spring suspensions arent made to do this kind of stuff I dunt care what shocks you throw on it there just isnt enough suspension travel plus the spring is suspended in 2 places if something bottoms in the middle that hard of course its gonna bend.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Dang, amazing just how many stupid people there are in the world. That last one showing everyone RIGHT on the edge of the track, giving the driver less than 5 feet of clearance on either side of a dirt track with large lumpy bumps while running 60-80MPH. All it would take is a broken tie rod and the danged things would have taken a hard turn in either direction on impact, and rolled right through the crowd. And I thought the cameramen in the first two were stupid, the first one standing RIGHT where the truck nosedived on the first run when it hit wrong, and the second one being right under the small hills the truck was jumping. I hope that second one was some sort of remote camera, cause had the truck stalled right before it hit the hill, it would have rolled over the hill, not jumped it, and would have run the cameraman down. It's fine if you want to go baja running, I've never had a problem with the sport and even would like to participate sometime. But running a truck through a no traction having area at those speeds and through crowds of people? No thanks. No matter how good you are, EVERYONE makes a mistake sometimes.

Whipped383

Post by Whipped383 »

Interesting they say they keep an eye on the forums and one user in paticular. The user they refered to says he's working on a solution to the frame problem idiot hell make it so rigid then it will just crack and break. Pull your heads out ford oweners they aren't meant to handle abuse no truck is.

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Whipped383 wrote:
Interesting they say they keep an eye on the forums and one user in paticular. The user they refered to says he's working on a solution to the frame problem idiot hell make it so rigid then it will just crack and break. Pull your heads out ford oweners they aren't meant to handle abuse no truck is.
Normally I would agree, but not in this case. These trucks are advertised as being ready to take straight to a Baja run. This means they should be better able to handle abuse than a standard truck, yet the frame is the same as a standard truck which is not Baja-capable. The problem is is Ford expected to sell only to poseurs and not to actual Baja runners.

Whipped383

Post by Whipped383 »

Well probably bad advertising on fords part but really what can you expect from a production truck? Went and saw my uncle today he has an 04 superduty and he asked why his tailgate wasn't closing and had a big gap at the top and his tailpipe is hitting the bed side. Upon closer inspection the bed to cab gap is off and one cab mount that's tore up. I asked what he did all he said was would putting the chip on extreme tweak it like that? I said no somehow your frames bent he said it happened after he went hunting last year so I know what he did. Then he told me he bought the truck as a rebuilt rollover and his wife had hit a deer last fall. So somehow somewhere its been bent

CrazyHoe

Post by CrazyHoe »

It's all (marketing + bean counting)³ - (engineering)/2...

White 350

Post by White 350 »

Ya'll seen this?? :) Ford vs Chevy 1 ton frame bending

Unreal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMQjm7i2Jw

Whipped383

Post by Whipped383 »

Is a stiffer frame really better though? I mean look how far the tires came off the ground thats not good. The chevs have a rear frame rail thats over a foot thick they are beefy

Speeder

Post by Speeder »

Yes, it is a very good thing to have a stiff frame. Would you want to spend 3-5 grand at the body shop every time you had to drive across a ditch, or would you want to be able to just drive across that ditch? Not all the work a truck needs to do is on a paved road.

But, apparently Ford's flexible frame is good on potholes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo ... ure=relmfu

Whipped383

Post by Whipped383 »

No but a frame can have some torsional twist to it without bending to my old k10 could twist a long ways without ever damaging anything.

That video is interesting Iv been on roads nowhere near that rough in my 97 and felt the rear end float I always attributed it to it having the heavy half rear end and springs but maybe its not that at all. Iv also noticed when Iv been offroad and had some frame flex that the 3rd rear door will pop off the latch sometimes.

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

stiffer frames do better with heavy loads. lack of twist pushes all the flex back to the suspension with a sloppy frame and stock suspension pulling a heavy trailer could be unpredictable. thats why the tow ratings keep climbing as the frames get stronger and stronger. It's easier to drive.

aside from crackin the tailgate.. I dunno I've driven my 06 2500 4dr @ speeds exceeding 100mph in trails.. it's very in control, very precise. It doesnt flex much outside of the suspension.

Comparably i drove my friends 04 superduty @ 50-60 and it felt heavy, but soft not what i expected from a solid axle. I wouldn't say it was scary at all but I did feel somewhat top heavy in comparison. Some of this is marketing, but some of the proof really is in bending the frame and cracking a tailgate.. I'd take the chevy any day..
Last edited by SikSilverado on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

James B.

Post by James B. »

Another consideration is the entire frame structure acting like a spring storing and releasing energy in an uncontrolled manner. I see this all the time to and from work because the expansion joints and average speed of the freeway I use between home and work resonates the frames of long wheelbase F-250 and 350 trucks. It's even worse with the lifted "bro" trucks. (5'6" tattooed sideways-hat and jersey-wearing stick-figure driving) The gap between the bed and cab changes violently as the entire thing oscillates. From the back you can see the body line bending. Look inside and even in a completely stock truck the passengers all look like a game of Whac-A-Mole.

Ride down a freeway in the back seat of a 4-door F-250 and then a 4-door 2500HD. HUGE difference in comfort.