WARNING: Found A Good Price on EFI Live - DO NOT BUY!!

Performance modifications, tips & tricks

Moderators: Eric@PPE, James B., flyingpolarbear, Dev

JR96CK

WARNING: Found A Good Price on EFI Live - DO NOT BUY!!

Post by JR96CK »

WARNING: see 03-25-2013 update to this post below

Wanted to pass this on if anyone is in the market for a NEW copy of EFI Live V2. I've been waiting to invest in it for years, but I finally found a good deal on it on eBay. The seller appears to have more available, and it seems reasonable that someone here might be able to get it for a similar price as me.

Just won this auction last week and it looks as though the seller has another one available. I won the auction last week for $670 (+$50 shipping), so I got a new EFI Live V2 for a total of $720 shipped. Not bad when all I could find it for everywhere else was $899. The seller is in Indonesia, but his feedback was good and so far he has been legitimate (answering e-mails, providing tracking, etc.). I have no complaints so far. This is supposed to be completely new, with the 2 standard licenses, not a used version or one without VIN licenses. We will see, I guess, but with EFI Live being based in New Zealand, it seems reasonable that legit copies are available in Indonesia for a good price. As stated, it all seems legit so far, so we will see. Shipping will take a while, obviously, but he has provided tracking and it's on its way here to TX. Should be here some time next week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-EFI-Live-Fl ... 53&vxp=mtr
Last edited by JR96CK on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JR96CK

Follow-Up

Post by JR96CK »

Won the auction on Thurs. February 28th and received it today, Saturday March 9th. Much faster than I expected coming from overseas to TX. Brand new, licenses are in order, everything checks out and works correctly. I think I can highly recommend this guy if you're looking for EFI Live.

Looks as though I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. :o

White 350

Post by White 350 »

Jonathan,

What will you be tuning? Did you swap PCM's on your '96?

JR96CK

Post by JR96CK »

Hey, Taylor... yep, I still have the black 96, although I have now parted out and mostly sold off the original L31. I'm intent on doing an LS swap. I do have an old 411 lying around which I plan to use for that, so EFI Live will be essential to that project for sure.

Other than that, one of my first projects will be to do some fuel gauge scaling on my mom's 99 Tahoe (still on the blackbox), as per the "Jumpy Fuel Gauge" thread. Would like to further refine the capacitor fix I came up with for that. There are also some 2011 and 2012 model vehicles in the family which I will be tweaking as well.

Wish I would have had access to something like this back in the Whipple days (circa 1999-2000). :evil:

playtoy_18

Post by playtoy_18 »

Trying to figure out if that is higher or lower than what I paid a few years ago.
I think I paid $850 for V2 commercial shipped.
Did you get the commercial or personal version? I though personal version was quite a bit cheaper.
What is difference between commercial and personal other than capablity to program more vin's?

I'll be honest,I think I bought the thing in 07 and have never actually used it.
I use the scantool with my autotap cable,the box itself is at GTOKen's house where I left it a few years ago lol.
I use tunercat for everything,efilive is a good bidirectional scantool though.
Still have both original licenses even.

JR96CK

Post by JR96CK »

Well, my license info says "commercial" but I'm not entirely sure what the difference is either. Was not able to find the info on the EFILive site either, so not too sure what the deal is there.

JR96CK

Post by JR96CK »

03-25-2013: DO NOT BUY

Sent in my warranty registration a little over a week ago and received this e-mail from EFILive earlier today:

Thank you for your Warranty card information. The bad news is that the unit you purchased off eBay is stolen and the FlashScan warranty is not valid. This unit was one of six FlashScan’s paid for by a stolen credit card and shipped to Singapore. This FlashScan unit will not work properly. We suggest that you stop the payment (charge back for credit card) and retrieve your money.

If you have any information on who sold the unit to you, please let us know.

EFILive has many Authorised Resellers in the USA who would sell you a FlashScan unit and look after your tuning and EFILive questions.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
Donna

Donna Blackmore
Business Manager
EFILive Limited

I alerted PayPal about this and they are now looking into it. I've also responded to the above email I received from EFILive and have spoken to them on the phone just a few moments ago (really nice people, btw). The seller has more V2 units listed on eBay as of the time of this post. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS SELLER. I do not know if he/she is aware that these units are stolen or not, but the bottom line is that they are. EFILive has informed me that the units have fail safes in them that will eventually kick in and render them useless.

For the record, I now feel like a complete ass. :x

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

Dang dude hope you get your money back. I was on the efilive forum yesterday and saw a big warning DO NOT BUY FROM SINGAPORE.

Hog
Location: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Ontario

Post by Hog »

That sucks, you might as well buy from Aloicious who is a known "good" reseller and highly respected member of this site.

peace
Hog

Whipped383
Location: Salt Lake, 97K1500,ECSB, 383,Whipple,0411,Marine, 03K2500,CCSB,8.1&Allison, Whipple in progress

Post by Whipped383 »

+2 I bought mine from Justin plus hes local to me me so I had no shipping with local pickup

Speeder
Location: 2015 Tahoe 2WD 5.3L 6L80E, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Sorry to hear about this. This is the main reason I tend to stay off Fleabay unless I'm selling. You never know what you're dealing with there. It's worth the few extra bucks to know I'm going to get what I'm paying for. It took getting ripped off on a trumpet to get my wife to stop looking there, and guess who had to go through the rigamarole and still never got our money back because she used cash she had in Paypal and not a credit card to pay?

98Blackss
Location: Native TEXAN living in Colorado; 1998 K1500 RCSB stepside Escalade and GMT800 AWD conversion

Post by 98Blackss »

JR, I feel for ya. The units are expensive to begin with and I know you used hard earned money and took a chance to save some and get it cheaper. I would have done the same thing and been in the same boat. I have seen that there are a ton of fake GM Tech 2's floating around that have issues. A wife, two kids, mortgage, etc.. There isnt enough month at the end of the money for me to afford this, heck even a bench tune... Its trying to play and cant because of afforability. By the time I can afford one they will all have been confiscated by the EPA and the technology will be obsolete anyway, Grrrrr... Yes, that is my whyning, done now. Its like my father in law who is a Mechanical PE and when people complain about the cost of his bills. "Yes its a 10 cent part, but knowing where to put it is the $3,000 cost"... I guess that applies to the technology used in these EFI Live units.

I do wish you best of luck in recovering your hard earned money.

TJ

JR96CK

Post by JR96CK »

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the support. All the parties I've dealt with in this so far have been very helpful (PayPal, EFILive, the eBay seller), so it is being handled quite well, given the situation.

Fortunately, I paid via my Bill Me Later credit line I have with PayPal, so I was not technically out of pocket for the money. After speaking with PayPal yesterday, they opened a case and handled it completely. The seller refunded the full amount to my account this morning, and he has been completely cooperative. With that being said, I think the guy I bought from on eBay was legitimate, but perhaps he himself unknowingly bought several of these from a questionable source and was none the wiser. Regardless, PayPal handled it and I have been refunded all the money.

As to the V2 unit, it's kind of in limbo at the moment. PayPal told me that I need to keep it in my possession for 30 days, and if PayPal has not contacted me and told me to do something with it, it is up to me what happens to it. I don't know who would be the rightful owner of it in this scenario, but my plan is to just ship it back to EFILive in New Zealand after the 30 days if PayPal doesn't require something else within that time.

Seems like every facet of this experience ended up going sour but has ended reasonably well. As it turns out, the fuel gauge PWM scaling parameter I needed for the 98-99 blackbox PCMs is not supported in EFILive (although it is if you have done a 411 swap and are using the Express Van tune), and this was one of my primary reasons for finally investing in tuning software after all these years (see the "Jumpy Fuel Gauge" thread). Converting to a 411 on my mom's 99 Tahoe is not something I wanted to do, so I ended up turning right around and buying HPTuners, which does support the fuel gauge scaling in the blackbox PCMs. Seems to be working fine and is doing what I need it to for the foreseeable future, so I'm pretty fond of it so far. With that unfortunate turn (leave it to me to find the ONE thing EFILive doesn't support, as it's a really impressive piece of software), I had planned to sell off my EFILive setup, but I guess in this scenario I'm actually ending up better off, as I'm getting a full refund instead of losing some money selling it on eBay. Glad the manufacturer caught this when I registered the warranty card though, or else I myself would have inadvertently been selling stolen goods on eBay.

Live and learn I guess.
Last edited by JR96CK on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR96CK

Post by JR96CK »

By the way, for anyone who might be interested, this is who I bought the aforementioned HPTuners setup from on eBay, although they had it on sale for $549 when I bought it. Of course, you obviously might want to take my seller recommendations with a big grain of salt given the stolen V2 debacle. :lol:

But, seriously, this reseller is in Connecticut, shipped quickly, and all has been well. No red flags were raised when I registered the software on their site, so I guess (read: hope :o) I'm good to go on this one with no worries of becoming an international criminal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Tuners-VCM-S ... 5647391666

I have some fuel gauge scaling to do.... :D

Aloicious
Location: 96, C1500, LS31, T56, 24x CNP/LS2 coils, Whipple, 411, EFILive, MPFI, ZZ4, Trutrac, 4.88...etc

Post by Aloicious »

a lot of us resellers were contacted by the same Singapore lowlife trying to buy the units from us. luckily my BS radar went off immediately and I didn't respond to their fraudulent request.

Like the email from EFILive mentioned, its best to purchase from an authorized reseller like we are, anyone posing to sell units at a deep discount (without it being a used single uint, or something similar) is likely not on the up and up, those who are authorized by EFILive to sell their products have contractual agreements on advertised pricing, etc.

if anyone is interested in EFILive or anything EFILive related, shoot me a PM or email or something, I'm a fully authorized reseller for them and all their parts/licenses/etc.

I'm glad that you were able to get it squared away with paypal though, it sounds like it was a headache, I've only had to deal with 1 paypal dispute before from a lowlife ebay seller, but mine was only for $30.

Whipped383

Post by Whipped383 »

Wow juc what where they wanting to do?

I know Iv seen alot of people looking for efilive lately would it be possible if you got enough people for a group buy?

Aloicious
Location: 96, C1500, LS31, T56, 24x CNP/LS2 coils, Whipple, 411, EFILive, MPFI, ZZ4, Trutrac, 4.88...etc

Post by Aloicious »

it was just a obviously scamming contact e-mail, asking to buy like 6-8 of them at a time and asking what the price of them was with shipping to singapore, offering to pay additional 'fees', etc...just stuff like that. the only thing it was missing was a claim to be the Nigerian prince. :lol:

yeah a group buy would be possible, we would probably be able to get a fair discount, but it wouldn't be any crazy high amount, and would likely depend on how many people we could get on board and paid up before ordering the group buy. shoot me a PM either here or on my site or something, we can figure it out.

Whipped383

Post by Whipped383 »

Well Ill pass the word around and maybe you should start a thread on your site

SikSilverado

Post by SikSilverado »

That really sucks. I've always wanted it but cost was prohibitive. Especially since I already have PPE tuning. Now I've got a new 4094 w/ billet wheel and I NEED it.... I tried to upgrade but apparently I had the autotap+efilive setup not V1. So that was nixed.

Buying used doesn't sound like a good idea... :(